Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM

41 posts, read 85,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
This is exactly why we bought new as well, tired of fixing things. We also WANTED a small yard to reduce the time needed to take care of it. Sure, ya gotta research the builders to make sure they build quality and that's what we did and we love our new home. Don't listen to the haters on here AR is a very nice area with lots of options. Good luck with your search
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
pkrn89... I can also not stress enough, if you build new, from beginning to end, please do yourself a favor and give yourself peace of mind by hiring an independant inspector... Do not rely on the home builders inspectors...

We built with Centex, who MANY people will dog on for building crap shacks, but I fell in love with the floor plan and I had my heart set on it (talk about emotional, right? LoL)... So we made sure to hire an inspector, he did 3 inspections... 1 pre slab, 1 after framing and 1 after construction was done...

What's funny is that when we told the inspector it was Centex he himself was leery and cautious just from his previous experience... However he found no problems with the pre-slab inspection... Very little with the frame inspection and very little once the home was completed... After the frame inspection he said "Well guys, it looks like Centex is building you a very sound house"... He was very impressed and mentioned it often... He said he had to give the builder credit, that they had come a long way...

What few items were found were fixed right away and in the almost 4 years here we have had no problems (knock on wood)...

The inspector just gave us great piece of mind and we felt so much better signing our lives away with a builder that many people would never look at...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
The thing to remember is that there is a large number of real estate agents on here. Many go to great lengths to pump up neighborhoods, and rather unethically, for financial gain.
Yeah, um, you're barking up the wrong tree. Stay-at-home mom here. *eyeroll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
I seriously can't believe all of the AR bashing. I live here and love it. We've had NO issues what so ever, the neighbors are great, love how close shopping/dining is, traffic isn't near as bad as the SO area, etc etc. How anyone could compare this area Moderator cut: orphaned to a ghetto is beyond me. Are they referring to a different AR?? Sure, inside 1604 isn't impressive but it doesn't impact us at all. Are these folks just trying to get people to live in SO so it can be even more conjested than it already is???? It's already a crazy nightmare over there why make it worse?? I don't get it at all
I don't get it, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
Alamo Ranch is far from the elite status that communities such the Dominion or various neighborhoods in Stone Oak are.

Alamo Ranch is new and not too bad right now but it is surrounded by ghettos. It makes no sense to spend 200K on a house in a neighborhood that is just 2-3 minutes away from a stretch of neighborhoods that are worth 1/3 of the houses in Alamo Ranch.
I am seriously LMAO! You people that think the Dominion is so hoity-toity, good lord...what a joke. As if. Some of you need to check yourself on that new money smell. But to even assume that Alamo Ranch or its residents have ever purported to be anything like the Dominion...I nearly spit my drink out when I read that.

Oh, and "horrible commute"?? As opposed to...STONE OAK??? Hahahahaha! Awesome fodder for later laughs. Thanks!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 06:01 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM

381 posts, read 768,215 times
OK, I know this is getting old, but I checked spot crime and compared how many burglaries have been reported in AR and SO, and according to the map, SO came out on top. I don't know how accurate this is.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:39 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
OK, I know this is getting old, but I checked spot crime and compared how many burglaries have been reported in AR and SO, and according to the map, SO came out on top. I don't know how accurate this is.
VERY accurate...but PLEASE don't try to confuse FACTS with OPINIONS of those that can not deal with the facts....LOL

AR is a wonderful area...I would not live ANYWHERE else in SA and enjoy such conveniences....I go TWO STOP SIGNS to more than 15 places to eat/grab take out....2 major home improvement stores, and all the shopping one credit card can manage in a month (please no lectures, pay it off monthly but ENJOY the airmile credits!!!). Can bank, get my pedicure, massage, groceries, starbucks, you name it...without a SINGLE STOP LIGHT OR TRAFFIC. PLUS, PER THE STATS, I LIVE IN A SAFER NEIGHBORHOOD!!! Yeppers, I can certainly see why I would want to live elsewhere....NOT!

NOT doggin other places to live, just defending what I KNOW to be the truth. Would I LIVE here if I had to commute to Randolph everyday...no....but I DO live in a GREAT area that is in reasonable commuting time to where I work.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 AM

123 posts, read 258,073 times
Another SAHM defending this area. I'm not a real estate agent either. When I checked the crime data map the other day, my area and the north side appeared about the same. All I know is that I'm not in a gated community and I've not witnessed any crime in my neighborhood. There is no graffiti in my subdivision, although I sometimes see it on signs in area nearby.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM

MsSpiderWeb, sorry to ask but what does SAHM stand for? Thanks

Old 06-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
pkrn89... I can also not stress enough, if you build new, from beginning to end, please do yourself a favor and give yourself peace of mind by hiring an independant inspector... Do not rely on the home builders inspectors...

We built with Centex, who MANY people will dog on for building crap shacks, but I fell in love with the floor plan and I had my heart set on it (talk about emotional, right? LoL)... So we made sure to hire an inspector, he did 3 inspections... 1 pre slab, 1 after framing and 1 after construction was done...

What's funny is that when we told the inspector it was Centex he himself was leery and cautious just from his previous experience... However he found no problems with the pre-slab inspection... Very little with the frame inspection and very little once the home was completed... After the frame inspection he said "Well guys, it looks like Centex is building you a very sound house"... He was very impressed and mentioned it often... He said he had to give the builder credit, that they had come a long way...

What few items were found were fixed right away and in the almost 4 years here we have had no problems (knock on wood)...

The inspector just gave us great piece of mind and we felt so much better signing our lives away with a builder that many people would never look at...
I don't think it's always the company that matters but who manages the project and maybe how quickly it gets built. That's actually a really great idea to hire a private inspector, thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrn89 View Post
SAHM = Stay At Home Mom

Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM

123 posts, read 258,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrn89 View Post
Stay At Home Mom. Mom2Feebs posted that she was a stay at home mom already, so I thought others would figure out my abbreviation. My mistake. The point was that someone keeps claiming that only real estate agents talk favorably about this area, which is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio