Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM

282 posts, read 472,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Thank you very much &heart!

Everyone says that property taxes are high. I guess that is something to take into consideration. On the other hand, if we move to Chicago, their taxes are high too. We were looking in the city itself as well as Naperville and they were both expensive.
Very true. The Chicago metro does have high property tax rates but they are slightly higher her in San Antonio, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:05 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
If you live on a busline like I do, I can go just about anywhere. I don't use the bus but may have to some day when I can
no longer drive. VIA is good....just move close to the bustop. I know some folks who do not drive and this is there only mode of transportation....works for them.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:01 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
Thanks for the help all. Without paying an arm and a leg, what are some zip codes that I should look into? Right now, I just want to go to realtor.com, for example and look at some houses.

We like to be things, and in town. I don't want to have to drive forever to get anywhere. If you're used to Chicago, then places like Naperville, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, etc.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM

330 posts, read 587,625 times
78212 (Monte Vista, Tobin Hill, Alta Vista), 78215 (Pearl), 78209 (Mahncke Park, Alamo Heights), 78205 (downtown), 78204 and 78210 (Southtown, King William, Lavaca), 78201 (Monticello, Jefferson area...a little further out but beautiful architecture)...am I forgetting anybody? These are all central and public transport friendly.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 PM

29 posts, read 67,472 times
Default Personally much prefer Chicago

Having lived in both cities, I personally prefer Chicago by quite a bit, but it all depends on what you are looking for.

If you are someone who is most interested in:
mild winters
Tex Mex culture
lots of sunshine
more desert landscape
very family oriented

then San Antonio will be a good fit

If you are someone who wants world class museums, music, and theater, then, while there are certainly museums, music, and theater in S.A., you will find Chicago to be better.

Also, if you draw energy from urban life, then I would say Chicago would be the better bet. There is an energy on the street in Chicago that isn't found in San Antonio, or very many places, for that matter. Many people dislike that urban feel--I'm not saying one is better than the other--but if you really want that experience, you will be happier in Chicago.

As for recreation, I think you can find plenty in either city (driving more in Chicago for it, although the Lakefront Path is terrific). Cost of living will be a lot higher in Chicago, which can make a big difference in your enjoyment.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM

501 posts, read 949,154 times
Desert landscape!?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM

19 posts, read 47,030 times
Chicago is diverse, urban and vibrant.

San Antonio is not diverse(All Hispanic and some(few) Anglo), Suburban and slow paced.

If you are going to rely on public transit then be prepared for hours of commuting each day.

San Antonio has the WORST public transit I have ever experienced.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Thank you very much &heart!

Everyone says that property taxes are high. I guess that is something to take into consideration. On the other hand, if we move to Chicago, their taxes are high too. We were looking in the city itself as well as Naperville and they were both expensive.
Heat in summer vs cold in winter.

Utilities cheaper.

Not all of our elected officials have or will be convicted of felonies.

Higher property taxes, no state tax.

Teeshirts and flip flops vs suit and tie.

NO unions.

Bluebonnets

BBQ

Fireflies

Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Heat in summer vs cold in winter.

Utilities cheaper.

Higher property taxes, no state tax.

Teeshirts and flip flops vs suit and tie.

NO unions.

Bluebonnets

BBQ

Fireflies

Hope this helps.
I may be wrong on this , which happens from time to time, , but I'm pretty sure we do have some union jobs here.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 AM

413 posts, read 741,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Other than Mayor Cisneros' felony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio