Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:32 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,389,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
You've obviously never lived in Chicago. There a lot of beautiful neighborhoods and as long as you stay out of the rougher parts of town and aren't involved in the drug trade, you're perfectly safe, just the same as in San Antonio. While Chicago has a higher violent crime rate, the rate of property crime is actually 50% higher in San Antonio. I guess San Antonio is a wasteland too, by your definition?
Know Chicago well. Never lived there but spent a lot of time there and have friends up there. It's being run into the ground by politicians and gangs. And they won't do anything about it, for fear of losing the black vote. It's only going to get worse.

And to compare it to property crime, that's just dumb. Lives are being lost. Not televisions.

At least here we get the occasional news article of someone being shot while breaking into a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM

413 posts, read 738,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Moderator cut: see note

Chicago, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, also has some of the worst crime rates. New York City and Washington, DC are the same. As a matter of fact, here's a fun fact: 20% of U.S. homicides occur in four cities with just six percent of the population--New York, Chicago, Detroit, and Washington, D.C.--all of which have a virtual prohibition on private handguns (source: CDC, Task Force on Community Preventive Services, “First Reports Evaluating the Effectiveness of Strategies for Preventing Violence: Firearms Laws”, Oct 3, 2003 – a systematic review of 51 studies that evaluated the effects of selected firearms laws on violence).

Now THAT's the truth!
Moderator cut: see note

Have you ever even lived in Chicago? Ever even visited there? Why are you possibly even responding to a thread about a city you know nothing about?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Keep your comments directed at the subject - not at other members!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's being run into the ground by politicians and gangs. And they won't do anything about it, for fear of losing the black vote. It's only going to get worse.

And to compare it to property crime, that's just dumb. Lives are being lost. Not televisions.

At least here we get the occasional news article of someone being shot while breaking into a house.
What do I care about politicians or gangs? They don't affect my daily life and never will. I have absolutely zero concern with violent crime since I don't run with gangs or sell drugs. Do I care if a bunch of gang members kill each other? No. Do I care if they steal my TV? Yes.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM

282 posts, read 469,694 times
Quote:
You've obviously never lived in Chicago. There a lot of beautiful neighborhoods and as long as you stay out of the rougher parts of town and aren't involved in the drug trade, you're perfectly safe, just the same as in San Antonio. While Chicago has a higher violent crime rate, the rate of property crime is actually 50% higher in San Antonio. I guess San Antonio is a wasteland too, by your definition?
This is very accurate. Unfortunately, over the last three years or so, things have started changing for the worse in the "good" parts too. Here, when there is a murder, people still get at least somewhat shocked. In Chicago, the mindset is "ok, he probably had it coming anyways." It's not news anymore.

Major's post are true. The fact that you don't know who might be armed really does deter a lot of crime. I see it very obvious. I'd much rather live in a place where good, law-abiding citizens are armed as well as the criminals (because let's face it, criminals always find a way to get their guns to).

Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
The fact that you don't know who might be armed really does deter a lot of crime. I see it very obvious.
I don't agree. By that logic, all cities in Texas should have low violent crime rates, yet they don't. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Violent crime rates are much more related to race, poverty, employment opportunities, education, drugs, gangs, and many other issues.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Stick to the Topic SA & Chicago

Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,389,680 times
Quote:
What do I care about politicians or gangs? They don't affect my daily life and never will. I have absolutely zero concern with violent crime since I don't run with gangs or sell drugs. Do I care if a bunch of gang members kill each other? No. Do I care if they steal my TV? Yes.
Moderator cut: see note That kind of crap affects us all.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-11-2012 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not each other!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,887,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Someone gets shot or killed every day in Chicago. Please don't equate property crime to that. They're both terrible but let's not act like murder is on par with a car break in.
Agreed, but let's look at some of the recent reporting and facts...

Quote:
Chicago Homicides Outnumber U.S. Troop Killings In Afghanistan

Posted: 06/16/2012 3:31 pm Updated: 08/16/2012 4:24 pm

Highlights:

The Daily pointed out in a Friday column that more Chicago residents--228--have been killed so far this year in the city than the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan--144 --over the same period.

The war zone-like statistics are not new. As WBEZ reports, while some 2,000 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, more than 5,000 people have been killed by gun fire in Chicago during that time, based on Department of Defense and FBI data.

Chicago's murder rate is also currently quadruple that of New York and double Los Angeles' rate.
And if that doesn't convince you...

Quote:
Rate of Killings Rises 38 Percent in Chicago in 2012

Homicides are up by 38 percent from a year ago, and shootings have increased as well, even as killings have held steady or dropped in New York, Los Angeles and some other cities. As of June 17, 240 people had been killed here this year, mostly in shootings, 66 more deaths than occurred in the same period in 2011.
By the way, before anyone makes comparisons to San Antonio; 2010 FBI Uniform Crime Reports statistics shows the murder and non-negligent homicide rate for Chicago is 15.7 per 100,000 people; whereas in San Antonio it was 5.7 per 100,000 people. Robbery in the Windy City was 501.6/100,000 whereas in SA it was 169.5/100,000. With aggravated assaults, Chicago "wins" again with 485.5/100,000 compared to SA's 397.1/100,000.

But in fairness, for property crime as previously mentioned SA does "win" with 6,346.3/100,000 versus 4,236.4/100,000 for Chicago; as well as burglary it's 1,242.7/100,00 for SA versus Chicago's 924.7/100,000.

So, all things considered, since property crimes/burglary are usually a lot less violent than murder, robbery and aggravated assaults, excuse me if I don't accept the claims that Chicago is somehow "safer" than San Antonio when you are nearly three times more likely to be murdered or robbed!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,414,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
That's because it's using (old) metropolitan numbers. Basically saying "cities" but actually meaning metro.

The city population isn't 1.9 million. The metro population was once that, it's now 2.2 million.

Anyhow, metro is a much better indicator than city. For SA, for Chicago, for any place.

The Hispanic population percentage does drop by 10 plus percentage points from city to metro.
That makes more sense.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Moderator cut: see note That kind of crap affects us all.
It is called being realistic as opposed to being a dreamer. Do you have any proof of anything in any city that has decreased the gang populations? 3 strikes didn't do it. Unless you have a financial plan to get gang members high paying jobs that pay more than drug dealing, or a plan to decrease the number of addicts...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-11-2012 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM

Your statistics are so misleading that it is comical. It's like showing how many gang members have been killed this year, but only the ones wearing red. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Nobody said that Chicago was safer. The argument was that Chicago leads in violent crime, San Antonio leads in property crime, and that gun ownership in San Antonio is not the reason for low violent crime rates as shown by high violent crime rates in Texas with the same gun ownership laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Agreed, but let's look at some of the recent reporting and facts...

And if that doesn't convince you...

By the way, before anyone makes comparisons to San Antonio; 2010 FBI Uniform Crime Reports statistics shows the murder and non-negligent homicide rate for Chicago is 15.7 per 100,000 people; whereas in San Antonio it was 5.7 per 100,000 people. Robbery in the Windy City was 501.6/100,000 whereas in SA it was 169.5/100,000. With aggravated assaults, Chicago "wins" again with 485.5/100,000 compared to SA's 397.1/100,000.

But in fairness, for property crime as previously mentioned SA does "win" with 6,346.3/100,000 versus 4,236.4/100,000 for Chicago; as well as burglary it's 1,242.7/100,00 for SA versus Chicago's 924.7/100,000.

So, all things considered, since property crimes/burglary are usually a lot less violent than murder, robbery and aggravated assaults, excuse me if I don't accept the claims that Chicago is somehow "safer" than San Antonio when you are nearly three times more likely to be murdered or robbed!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Stick to the topic - SA & Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio