Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times

Advertisements

This passed Sunday, my wife and I were driving home from Barnes and Noble (ingram) so we are driving along and take the 151 exit going west and take the ramp. At the same time the signal for the access 151 westbound traffic turns green and I have these two vehicles to my left trying to get to stores before they close!!! I keep my speed and for most of you that know this spot knows that my lane disappears and merges into theirs but it doesn’t matter because they were turning into the shopping center anyway. I expect the two vehicles to merge around me. The guy in the front was well in front to cut in and continue on the at regular speed. The guy behind him goes ape shlt and some how thinks that I should have slowed to let him in. They honk and I look into my rear view to get a glimpse of them. The wife is flipping me off and the husband whom is driving is visibly upset. I naturally was upset that this lady is flipping me off so I slow down to a crawl flipping them back off and then they get to the area in which they can move to the right and turn into the shopping center. My wife and I proceed to give them the bird saying some choice words too when I noticed that they had an infant child in the back seat. We went on our separate ways (still upset about it).

This couple expected me to slow for them when I don’t even have a yield sign. Keep in mind I didn’t speed up or slow down to either of them. What do you guys think?

Last edited by SA Greed; 09-26-2007 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: editing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
They should have merged, one in front and one behind you. Especially with a kid in the vehicle, I am always more cautious when my kids are with me. Just wait until their baby gets a little older and starts acting like them. I hate it when people think they own the road. I try to be courtious to other drivers but sometimes it is really hard to do.
You know, this is even better than flipping someone off....
When someone flips me off, I give them a big smile and I wave to them. OMG~~ You should see how mad they get
It really makes them mad to think that they didn't "get to me". Plus, it makes me get a laugh out of the situation instead of getting my blood pressure up.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Sounds like you were in the right. They may have been thinking that there was a yield sign there esp. if they were long time residents since SA does still have them. Since moving to Austin I have noticed that they no longer have the signs so thats not a problem but they have plenty of others!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Unless there is a yield sign or a lane end/merge sign for your lane, then there is no requirement for you to yield. My rule of thumb is that if my front wheels are in front of their bumper I go first, if theirs are in front of my bumper they go first.

I think you were wrong in your reactionary flipping off and use of a few choice words, especially since there was a child around, but then you never know when a kid will be around so it is best to always avoid lowering yourself to their level. Consider that the child might be embarrassed by their parent's example until you show them that it is normal.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM

I Like that Malone!!!
and Your right John, I just seem to sometimes be a hot head.

I will try the smile approach and maybe add some minutes to my life.

btw, my windows were rolled up so I don't think they heard us. It was just for our own release.

Last edited by SA Greed; 09-26-2007 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: btw

Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
LOL~~ The smiling thing works I love it!!

I'm waiting for someone to reply to this with "That was you???"

Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 19,036 times
Default I've Gotten Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
They should have merged, one in front and one behind you. Especially with a kid in the vehicle, I am always more cautious when my kids are with me. Just wait until their baby gets a little older and starts acting like them. I hate it when people think they own the road. I try to be courtious to other drivers but sometimes it is really hard to do.
You know, this is even better than flipping someone off....
When someone flips me off, I give them a big smile and I wave to them. OMG~~ You should see how mad they get
It really makes them mad to think that they didn't "get to me". Plus, it makes me get a laugh out of the situation instead of getting my blood pressure up.
Malone you are so right about how people react when you kill them with kindness. It took me years to get to that point on the road...I am the poster child for road rage. I once followed a lady to North Star Mall for cutting me off...I mean I had real road rage. I've gotten a lot better since I've gotten older and more mature....

Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
A good number of years ago a coworker of mine was faced with an angry aggressive driver in a pickup truck.

The driver was a young, large, burly, he-man type honking his horn, flipping the bird and screaming insults at my coworker, a retired air force sergeant, who did not move over to let him pass. After several hundred yards the guy was still upset and making aggressive gestures.

When the driver pulled into the next lane my coworker to scream out his open window, my coworker blew him a kiss and gave him a wave. This outraged the guy so much he turned purple and ran off the road before he got control of himself again.

Much more satisfying than engaging in a bird show my coworker said.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Funny you mention it, I was thinking that maybe the couple we encountered were City Data people too.

This was in reference to Malones comments.

Last edited by SA Greed; 09-26-2007 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: referring to malones comment

Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM

180 posts, read 793,857 times
Nowadays you really have to be careful. People pull out guns not their middle fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio