Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,593 times

Advertisements

I found the NISD spokesman's statement yesterday evening that "everyone should expect their kids to go to different schools other than originally planned" kind of troubling. People base where they live in large part on the schools their kids will be going to. A harsh dose of reality I guess.

"The Northside Board of Trustees Tuesday night approved a proposal that will move areas now in the Clark, O'Connor, and Marshall high school attendance areas to Brandeis High School, which opens in 2008. The plan also includes several associated boundary changes, that will move areas now in Taft to O'Connor, and from O'Connor to Marshall, and from Clark to Marshall.

The preliminary proposal was presented to the Board Aug. 21, and a public hearing was held Sept. 10. Please visit the Brandeis boundary web site for more information about which specific neighborhoods are affected."

News : Trustees approve Brandeis High School attendance zone : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,050 times
Bot, I can see some people being mad about this one.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,210,404 times
NISD is busting at the seams, and there is so much undeveloped land in the NISD district, it makes me wonder what is going to happen in 10 - 20 years (or maybe even less).

Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,912 times
I'll admit that, as a Marshall alum (late 80's), I was a little disappointed in the comments made by some of the people in French Creek. Granted Marshall is an older school, but it's test scores are still higher than any other NISD HS (well... except for O'Connor and Clark), so it's not like the school is the slum of the district. Oak Hills, Braun Heights, Pembroke Place, etc. all have home values higher than French Creek, and they attend Marshall. Besides, it didn't make sense back in 1998, when O'Connor opened, that French Creek was moved from the Marshall area - homes farther away were still Marshall and the subdivision had been "built out" for years. In fact, MOST of O'Connor's area WAS Marshall's. Yeah, the people in the Clark area have an argument as their subdivisions have been built since the Marshall-Clark split, but if you really study the demographics, you'll find that Marshall is not as different from the other two as you might think.

As for me... I moved away from the congestion and settled in a historic neighborhood where almost all of the kids attend private schools, but that's another discussion.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:45 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,156,338 times
Totally agree Montirob..let me add my .02 too...I never understood moving the French Creek neighborhood from Marshall to O'Connor ten years ago either...it was almost as if it was gerrymandered to O'Connor the way the attendance zones dipped down to surround them amongst all the MHS areas. Braun Station was kept at MHS and it's further north and closer to OHS than French Creek!

MHS has test scores comparable to both Clark and O'Connor too so I don't see the issue either. And, a lot of the areas that are being moved back to Marshall from Clark were originally at MHS to begin with so some of the original comments about always being at CHS were wrong..sure, much newer areas obviously were always CHS, but the huge Oakland Estates off Huebner along with areas off Wurzbach and Fredericksburg are some of those original areas to MHS.

When Clark was opened in 1978, (I was an MHS freshman then so I remember this) it was given a huge chunk of NW San Antonio b/c MHS had the entire west and far nw areas of the sparsely populated district. While MHS has been whittled down through the years due to Taft and O'Connor opening, the Clark boundaries have hardly changed in 30 years except for losing small areas around UTSA when O'Connor opened. Now that Clark and its areas have grown substantially, NISD officials are finally readjusting those archaic boundaries and sending neighborhoods much closer to Marshall, back to Marshall where some of them were years ago (including the previously mentioned French Creek from OHS). And yes, MHS has many upscale areas including many new neighborhoods off Braun, Mainland and Guilbeau Rds. Also, the areas off Babcock/Prue/Abe Lincoln and of course the Oak Hills areas off Callaghan between Babcock and Fred. Rd. so you're right..it's far from slums and gangland territory.

A friend in Resource Planning for NISD commented once that this big boundary change will help correct and adjust zones that should have been changed years ago since high school boundaries aren't equitable, especially in the northern half of the district. The opening of Brandeis will finally help to do that. Besides, I have read that if you're in high school already, you can stay at your original school, as can siblings coming up through the system...and NISD will offer transportation for three years. Sounds like a good compromise to me.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
I was a member of the NISD Citizen's Bond Committee this year (yes, the much-needed $692M bond that thankfully was passed), and I can tell you that the administration under Dr Folks is doing an excellent job of coping with one of the fastest growing school districts not only in Texas, but in the nation as well.

And as the parent of an autistic child going to a NISD elementary school, I am grateful for the services that have been provided for him, and his progress over the past two years has been remarkable.

As you can tell, I am a huge fan of the NISD. It is working hard to provide the best education to our children, and I hope all parents know and appreciate their efforts!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 PM

220 posts, read 411,911 times
I have a freshman attending O'Connor this year. We are both glad that he will be attending Brandeis next year. O'Connor has the most students of all the high schools in Northside.

Over 3,300 students....

Old 09-27-2007, 02:52 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,912 times
Goodneighbor1234, I'm sure your son will enjoy the extra elbow room. I was at Marshall the year Taft opened and the difference between '84 and '85 was amazing! No more classes in portables, no more 30 minute wait in the cafeteria line, and no more parking illegally in the dirt.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:28 PM

220 posts, read 411,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Goodneighbor1234, I'm sure your son will enjoy the extra elbow room. I was at Marshall the year Taft opened and the difference between '84 and '85 was amazing! No more classes in portables, no more 30 minute wait in the cafeteria line, and no more parking illegally in the dirt.

I agree Montirob. Why anyone would rather have a crowded school is beyond me. A majority of the people I know are looking forward to sending their kids to Brandeis. O'Connor is a good school, but it's not perfect.

All the schools involved will benefit from the new boundries.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 PM

37 posts, read 133,011 times
Even though I haven't moved to SA yet (cant wait, hopefully just a few short weeks) this interested me because my daughter will be going to Taft, my other two to Connally and the border is pretty close to our street (hard to determine by map). I looked closer and found this link. All you have to do is put your address in and it tells you which schools your children would attending, hope it helps:
North Side ISD - Street Category Selection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio