Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

Funny story, I was sitting behind some lady in my open Jeep at a stop sign yesterday. There was some construction go on right next to us, and a guy running one of the machines kept honking the horn trying to get the attention of another worker. She rolls down her window, gives me a dirty look, and says "What?!?" I told her it wasn't me honking, then she drives off without an apology or anything.

People honk horns all the time, but unless there are any other indicators that it was directed at you, I wouldn't worry about. San Antonio is one of the least racists places I've ever been...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default S.A. Could be the least racist ,I don't know,

I don't know entirely about that statement "Least Racist places" . It is... quite the melting pot here in S.A.
This is a fine city. A very open type of atmosphere, linguistically.
MAYBE IT WAS RAMDOM HONKING at the Asian fellows. Who knows?
That answer to such a question "least racist places" also might depend on which end of the racial spectrum you were looking out from. The prism distorts, depending.
This fellow from Spring Branch that had to pay retribution , however, is a cross sampling of racism of South Texas. It can be severe, here.
That Secret Society is everywhere. What are the odds of such an incident happening as the one that happened in Spring Branch, in such a sparsely populated area as the hill country ? Should have been slim.
In a place such as say, New England?
To the Asian Fellows walking downtown, Chuey, I would say it was people from the "alternative livestyle" honking at you while you were strolling downtown S.A.
Incidentally- "Chuey" is a moniker for Jesse, or "Haysus" (Jesus) here in S.A.
There is, as poster New Texan suggested here today on another thread about the racist idiot in Spring Branch, "A secret Redneck Underclass " in existence here. Of course there is, is the answer to your question regarding this.
Incidentally, Texas Redneck, The public transportation system here named - VIA- does not stand for
"Vatos in Action" like you thought.. That was a hilariius acronym though, I must admit I chuckled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Funny story, I was sitting behind some lady in my open Jeep at a stop sign yesterday. There was some construction go on right next to us, and a guy running one of the machines kept honking the horn trying to get the attention of another worker. She rolls down her window, gives me a dirty look, and says "What?!?" I told her it wasn't me honking, then she drives off without an apology or anything.

People honk horns all the time, but unless there are any other indicators that it was directed at you, I wouldn't worry about. San Antonio is one of the least racists places I've ever been...

Cheers! M2

Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 PM

What?!?

While I try to make sense out of that post, I have to wonder if the OP was one of the two young Asian men we saw at Billy Bob's Hamburgers and BBQ in Hondo this evening. I think they were tourists, and with limited English capabilities, as when I casually asked one where he got the Manchester United Football Club shirt he was wearing (my oldest son is a big Man U fan!), he could only muster "Not Hondo!" in response!

I gotta admit that response did make me smile, but I hope I didn't scare the poor fellow by asking him the question!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
I get honked at when I'm at my mailbox. I don't even...

Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 AM

332 posts, read 529,479 times
sometimes, people are just pricks.

ive seen homeless and other people honked at for no reason while waiting at bus stops. back in my teenage years, i would lay down on the bus bench and read a book while waiting for the bus. idiots would honk left and right for no reason whatsoever.

some people are just pricks.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM

19 posts, read 34,466 times
If you got three honks, you all must be a handsome bunch. Consider it a compliment. When I was young, I would only honk at the cute ones. There are plenty of men out there that wish they could get three honks. lol

Old 06-24-2012, 10:06 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
So many are so quick to go to the "racist" card on so little information, it's hilarious.

As to "northeastern liberals" being less racist.....ooohhh - your arrogance is showing! I've traveled in the NE pretty extensively over the years, and the racism is not only present there - it's a lot more obvious. Is there racism in SA? Sure, there is - but not just whites against whoever - it's brown against white, brown against yellow, brown against black - put all 3 in a mixer, shake 'em out in whatever order, and the same can be said for ANY race.

Racism is wrong - no matter who's being racist. ANY time you try to make ONE race somehow "more equal" than another, YOU ARE BEING A RACIST. It's funny how somehow being a racist for a "liberal" reason makes it right.

I don't care who/what someone is - they deserve my respect and attention until such a time as THEY show themselves to be unworthy of it. Along with that comes a responsibility to be respectful of their background/ethnic peculiarities - such things aren't to be "judged" IMO, simply considered and recognized - even appreciated. I'm SO sick and tired of folks caring WHAT race/religion someone is (or is not).

Old 06-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Moderator cut: orphaned

I never stated there wasn't any racism in SA, it exists everywhere; but I will tell you that it is nowhere near being an issue as it is in many other places I've been. I just got back from two weeks in Oahu and anyone who has been to the west end of that island will tell you that as a "haole" it is not someplace where you want to get off the beaten path.

But the point of this whole conversation is that I seriously doubt that the OP's honking incident had anything to do with race, especially in downtown San Antonio. I am downtown all the time, and the vast majority of people you see there are tourists from all over the world. Asians are no more out of place as any other race, so I don't think that had anything to do with it. If anything, they are either 1) highly attractive and/or 2) dressed differently than most people in SA which was what garnered the attention.

Trying to insinuate that it had to do with race is simply ridiculous and paints a false picture that it is an issue in San Antonio. For the most part, it is not.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-24-2012 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 12:56 PM

132 posts, read 209,257 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I think it's also highly possible that the person in the car was listening to a really good song and hit the horn to keep the beat, lol. I always get the urge to do that when a good song comes on, lol.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-24-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 01:11 PM

99 posts, read 223,967 times
I was running with my shirt off today at Babcock / Bamberger Park and got whistled at. I'm posting this 10% because it's relevant to the thread, and 90% to brag about what must be my super awesome bod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio