Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM

258 posts, read 321,876 times

Advertisements

Looking at the latest stats that were released by the U.S. Census:

Newsroom: Population: Texas Dominates List of Fastest-Growing Large Cities Since 2010 Census, Census Bureau Reports

Looks like SA is on Phoenix's heels in terms of overtaking them if the current trends continue. Don't know if Phoenix is landlocked or not or if they are not annexing. But it appears SA is only 100,000 people away from overtaking them. On average SA grows at about 30,000-45,000 people per year.

It might be a decade before this happens but curious to see if this happens. Also noticed that Austin is now #13! Over took San Francisco. Texas continues to dominate

Last edited by jeffutsa2001; 07-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,622,816 times
No thank you. San Antonio has grown enough. Water is going to be a bigger concern than it is now if we keep growing at our current rate.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM

99 posts, read 222,938 times
City proper vs. urban area is always amusing.

Houston: 5.0 million people (area), 2.1 million people (city)
San Antonio: 1.7 million people (area), 1.4 million people (city)

I've always wondered if people from Houston, when they drive into San Antonio on I-10 for the first time, pass the San Antonio city limit sign, see all the cows, and think "huh, weird, I guess the city must start over that hill." Then they crest the hill, and allllllll you can see in all directions, for miles and miles and miles, is more fields and cows. It's a little surreal.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 PM

43 posts, read 93,293 times
San Antonio needs to worry about bringing real business to San Antonio before we bring more people. More white collar jobs are needed not minimum wage jobs.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,298,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkeenan87 View Post
San Antonio needs to worry about bringing real business to San Antonio before we bring more people. More white collar jobs are needed not minimum wage jobs.
Do some research on all the jobs announced in San Antonio in the past few years and then report back how many were minimum wage! We cant grow by 50,000 plus people every year on minium wage jobs.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,298,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBForThree View Post
City proper vs. urban area is always amusing.

Houston: 5.0 million people (area), 2.1 million people (city)
San Antonio: 1.7 million people (area), 1.4 million people (city)

I've always wondered if people from Houston, when they drive into San Antonio on I-10 for the first time, pass the San Antonio city limit sign, see all the cows, and think "huh, weird, I guess the city must start over that hill." Then they crest the hill, and allllllll you can see in all directions, for miles and miles and miles, is more fields and cows. It's a little surreal.
That's because I-10 East is the least developed freeway corridor in San Antonio. The FM 78 corridor has taken all the retail and housing until recently. That side of San Antonio will probably never fully develop since it is mostly industrial and the large landfill off FM 1516.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Do some research on all the jobs announced in San Antonio in the past few years and then report back how many were minimum wage! We cant grow by 50,000 plus people every year on minium wage jobs.
I agree with your statement...I won't give up on San Antonio. I am hoping with city leadership that they will be more agressive at scouting more corporate and higher paying industries. I've heard that Austin is very aggressive and gives away tax incentives for corporate relocation. I know they have the talent pool there. San Antonio has the ability to do so as well. Higher education will be one of the keys and keeping graduates here.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,925,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
Looking at the latest stats that were released by the U.S. Census:

Newsroom: Population: Texas Dominates List of Fastest-Growing Large Cities Since 2010 Census, Census Bureau Reports

Looks like SA is on Phoenix's heels in terms of overtaking them if the current trends continue. Don't know if Phoenix is landlocked or not or if they are not annexing. But it appears SA is only 100,000 people away from overtaking them. On average SA grows at about 30,000-45,000 people per year.

It might be a decade before this happens but curious to see if this happens. Also noticed that Austin is now #13! Over took San Francisco. Texas continues to dominate
That's not necessarily a good thing.
Our Edwards Aquifer is drying up more every year. Our pleasant scenery and landmarks are also disappearing at an alarming rate. Can we really accommodate the extra people?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM

This is the price of growth...However no one knows exactly how much water the Edward's Aquifer contains. Some say it has enough water to last 200 years if we use 450,000 acre feet a year. Job creation will attract more people to the region. We still need to be proactive and conserve our natural surroundings and water sources. Create new parks, tree ordinances, and landscaping that requires little or no water...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,622,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
This is the price of growth...However no one knows exactly how much water the Edward's Aquifer contains. Some say it has enough water to last 200 years if we use 450,000 acre feet a year. Job creation will attract more people to the region. We still need to be proactive and conserve our natural surroundings and water sources. Create new parks, tree ordinances, and landscaping that requires little or no water...
It really doesn't matter how much water is in the Edward's Aquifer. All that matters is that as the water level continues to go down more restrictions will be enforced. The next step would be to raise water prices. Also, don't forget about endangered species that are protected by federal law and that would also have an impact on our water supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio