Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,080 times

Advertisements

My husband is finalizing a job at UTSA and will be starting from fall. We are looking to rent a 2b/2b with a budget of $1000(incl utilities) close to UTSA maximum 5-6 miles. I am finding it very confusing as there are mostly expensive apartment complexes and few which are a little on the lower end within our budget. We are now wondering whether the lower end apt complexes are unsafe. We saw some at the DeZavala Road, then Shavano Park. Any suggestion and help we will really appreciate. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
That is kind of a tight budget, since you won't know until you move in how much your electric bill will be.

There's a complex on Babcock not far from 1604 called Blue Bonnet Hills, which is older but might suit your needs. I had several friends who lived there and they liked it.

There's another one called Artisan on the Bluff that's not far from UTSA and does affordable living...which means they get a tax break for providing lower cost apartments to people who meet their income guidelines. Artisan on the Bluff Apartments For Rent in San Antonio, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com It's one of the newer complexes. My husband and I looked at it at one point, but they had some odd rules...I think there was something about not having any tattoos.

One thing to remember is that when you're living really close to the college campus, the students are also living in the apartment complexes around there, often in the 2 bedrooms, and if you have little kids who go to sleep early, then noise from neighbors can get to be an issue sometimes.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Thank you for the reply. I know that is a tight budget, but it is difficult for us to stretch. Most of the apartments I called said that we can expect an average of $100 for electricity, which we will surely know when we start living. I called up Artisan on the bluff but we dont qualify. I will look into the Blue Bonnet Hills. We shortlisted a few like Village at Shavano, Oak Terrace, Silver Rock and 2 on DeZavala Road which are in our budget. I just dont know how these apartments are really. There is one more The Highlands which is very close to UTSA but it is over our budget. Thank you again for the help and suggestion.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I would probably skip Oak Terrace, personally I don't like the feel of that little area, although I've never looked at those particular apartments. (I never wanted to live right next to the highway, it's supposed to be bad for children's lungs while they're growing). Silver Rock is nice, Village at Shavano would be fine. The ones on DeZavala that are west of I-10 are not quite as nice.

About the $100 electric bills, I lived in apartments here for more than ten years, and my bills were like that in the winter, $80 to $100. In the summer they were more, I think $150 is a good estimate for a summer bill in an older apartment with a good air conditioner. If the air conditioner doesn't work well, it can get a lot higher. The highest bill I ever had in an apartment was $325, that was a 1000sq ft apartment with the AC set on 78 but the AC needed to be replaced and the complex wouldn't do it, so it ran constantly. We lived on beans, rice and pancakes that summer

You'll have a water bill too...mine was usually about $40 for a two bedroom/two bath with 4 of us living there. The water bill isn't based on your actual usage, the complexes have a formula they use to figure the bill based on your sq ft and number of occupants.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Thank you again for the prompt reply. I just checked online the Blue Bonnet hills, liked their floor plan will talk to them during the week and find out more about the lease and rest of the stuff.

We are coming from the Midwest where our heat, gas and water are paid by the apartment, only utility we have to pay is electric which in the summer months are high like $50 max for 1000sqft. So we were surprised by all the utilities we have to pay in SA, like trash, water, pest and of course high electricity bills. I agree with you that for an older apt and older ac unit the electricity bill will be def more. We appreciate your time and suggestion.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM

229 posts, read 672,466 times
Unfortunately, your electric bill will vary much depending on how your apartment is situated. For example, at my last apartment, we lived on the top floor facing the sun and our summer electric bills would easily hit $150+. And that's because the complex was less than 5 years old with new appliances and AC system. In our current apartment in a 30+ years old complex on the bottom floor facing away from the sun we can run the AC at 70-72 degrees and rarely get passed $80 per month.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,884 times
You may want to contact the Ranch at Shavano Park. They may have some move-in specials that would drop the monthly rent for the term of your lease.

Ranch at Shavano Park Apartments For Rent in San Antonio, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 07-08-2012, 02:39 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,884 times
Remember to ask about move-in specials for monthly rent discounts. Also ask about employer discounts for UTSA.

Vinyard Springs
Vineyard Springs Apartments For Rent in San Antonio, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

The Marquis at Rogers Ranch
The Marquis at Rogers Ranch Apartments For Rent in San Antonio, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will start calling these apartments and will remember to ask them about specials. Appreciate the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: