Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 AM

258 posts, read 323,779 times

Advertisements

You can talk about Eilan all you want. Maybe you should see it from inside and not it's back side as what you see from I10. We are all entitled to our opinions. As a resident I speak highly of Eilan (it's my home). The developer should know what a European feel should be like being from Europe. Oh well I don't have to convince you all about Eilan. I am already convinced and that is ALL that matters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,231 times
Easy to get ammo at Bass Pro and Dicks and then go to McDonald's, when you want to leave the force field and return to America and Texas.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:40 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
Hey, if someone is happy at Eilan, that's fantastic. I'm genuinely happy for you.

I just criticize the design a bit, as well as the lack of foresight in signing retail contracts so the complex didn't appear so empty. In this market, I don't think that was a smart idea and it will only make it that much more difficult in getting retail tenants now. I don't know how well this mega-complex would have done downtown. It would have really clashed with the more authentic aesthetic we have down here. Eilan is more Disney than Downtown.

It was observed that this is a 'complex' that caters to folks who want an all-inclusive living experience. I support that wholeheartedly, but only time will tell if Eilan can fill in the very large gaps it currently has.

BN

Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
But, I hear it all the time..."we moved to Texas to get away from that kind of stuff".

Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,192 times
I think it's obvious that there is a desire to bring in new types of development to this area. The "town center" or "planned, mixed-use" development style is just one type. In a city that repeats itself every 5-10 miles (think HEB shopping center, then a Target shopping center, Valero on every corner, etc.), something new wouldn't be a bad idea.

If memory serves, Eilan was designed and built to suit a very specific market segment, one that probably doesn't want to live downtown but would instead rather live near higher-end shopping, a nice golf course, family-friendly entertainment, while still retaining the ability to live within a "bubble" that such development provides. (Wow, that's a long sentence!)

I don't care for the aesthetics of the place, but I will admit that the all-in-one approach is appealing. If I could be so lucky as to live/work in the same place (or at least within walking distance), my life could be much simpler. Like BN said, time will tell if this formula works for SA, or if the development fails miserably. I'm hoping for the former, as a hollow shell in any part of my city would be a sore sight for these eyes.

--Dim

Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM

258 posts, read 323,779 times
I can see different points of view. In all I think Eilan has brought on a different way of thinking for SA. Something SA hasn't seen before. It's way different from other developments that are available. I think because it's different people find it hard to accept. Me personally am always looking for something different or exciting. Eilan has met or exceeded my expectations.

The residential side of it offers luxurious living and ammenties that other upscale apartments don't have. I am also drawn to the area because of near by shops and theme park, etc. Eilan is also in a GREAT location for growth and development near by. Now I just wish we had a grocery store in the development as planned.

Every week people are moving in Eilan. It has been a slow start for them leasing but things are picking up for them. I see moving trucks daily. With more commercial buildings nearby like Nustar across the street I think some of the workers will find Eilan a very convenient place to live.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:11 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
My first thought when I saw this Eilan development going up was..."what are these developers thinking building something like this in this economy?"

The idea may be unique to this area, but trying to fill the place with tenants before the place goes bankrupt will be a challenge.

A GREAT location for development and growth nearby? I disagree. That's the LAST thing that area needs. These "developers" are slowly taking away what used to make this area so great and attractive...the suburban/country living feeling while being close to town. If you drool over NYC type of living...then move there!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
In all I think Eilan has brought on a different way of thinking for SA. Something SA hasn't seen before. It's way different from other developments that are available. I think because it's different people find it hard to accept.
Totally agreed. Glad it is not your typical strip mall development that a lot of folks are happy with in San Antonio. You nailed it on the head that because it is “different,” a lot of locals are having a hard time accepting it, or afford it.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
I will say this, after having toured a number of Eilan's apartment models some weeks ago:

Their finish-out is no better or worse than any of the other 'luxe' properties around San Antonio. I was a bit surprised that their appliance package was so basic, but then again, so is the highly overpriced Artessa at The Quarry and Vistana Downtown. If I'm paying upwards of $3-4k a month in rent, I want something more upscale and better finish out.

Example: When I lived at Mansions at Canyon Springs, the units had marble flooring, Fox 8-burner stoves and a built-in whole apt speaker system. Nice touches. Ridiculously expensive.

BN

Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM

99 posts, read 223,926 times
Re: the possible bankruptcy issues, I was told by a real estate investor that Eilan was an all-cash deal. No financing whatsoever. So unless it's absolutely hemorrhaging cash and would be more profitable by shutting down (very unlikely), it should stay open for the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio