Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:19 PM

258 posts, read 323,836 times

Advertisements

I am hearing about the housing boom or the lack of houses being built fast enough to accommodate the workers who have moved in for Eagle Ford Shale. I understand that these sites are further south of SA and am wandering what kind of direct impact are they having on South SA's economy?

I would imagine with the lack of retail in some of these small towns that the workers and their families have to make the trip to SA for shopping. As far as housing are we seeing a pick up on new homes being constructed/apartments? Just very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Just based on personal observations from my time in that area, but so far the boom seems to have hit Pleasanton/Jourdanton area at the northernmost. But it has certainly hit those towns with a fierceness! I know some law enforcement types down there and have been given "the tour" as to the impact of the shale oil boom. It's pretty big, but I don't see any indication of it on the southside of SA.

Figuring it's about 22 miles from 1604 to Jourdanton, that's a lot of open real estate that will be affected before we feel it on the southside of San Antonio.

I wouldn't consider it having a bit impact on this area, but down there it did!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-11-2012, 03:29 PM

I am hoping that it does become a bigger deal for us. The mayor of SA is hoping we attract more oil/gas offices here as well.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 PM

501 posts, read 949,208 times
As more and more oil companies build facilities and regional hq's in South SA/Southeast SA as well as the off shoot effect of those facilities and jobs, there will be more demand for housing in that general area.

Also, maybe not a direct result of the EFS, but retail and over all development off Mitary on the SE side is booming.

When you add everything up, Toyota, City Base, Texas A&M-San Antonio, Eagle Ford and whatever else happens in the future, the far south and southeast sides will look quite different 10-20 years from now.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 AM

332 posts, read 529,525 times
i have zero problems with the eagle/ford shale area improving the southside and building new homes. need to replace all those eyesores somehow, or build something around them to hide the eyesores until they are improved upon or demolished.

we need more higher paying jobs, not the jobs that the unskilled laborers want.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Take a look at the salaries being offered down there, they are pretty substantial. While for the most part it's manual labor, the pay is pretty good and I have read that emergency services (police, EMT, etc) in the area are suffering as there are much better paying jobs with the oil companies.

As for the OP's question, I took it a matter of what impact has occurred not what could potentially occur! I answered the former, so far this shale oil boom has done little for the southside of SA. Obviously there is a lot that could happen due to it, but I still contend that the affects will contiue to be more in the Pleasanton/Jourdanton area and southward instead of north towards San Antonio. New restaurants, stores, apartment complexes, homes, etc. are popping up everywhere down there, there's plenty of room for it and little reason it'd have to be 20+ miles away. I spoke with an investment broker down in Jourdanton a few months back and he said that the local landowners involved are making money hand over fist.

So if you want any piece of this, you'll have to go to it; it's not coming to you!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM

I am hoping that some of this building will over flow into the Southside. It would be a shame if all the new development and money would stay far south of SA. I am hoping this is the next boom SA needs.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 AM

I wouldn't count on it, I work with a guy from Devine and he says it's barely hitting there, and they are a lot closer to it than we are.

Still, I don't think the southside needs to benefit from the shale oil; that area is already growing on its own and my expectations are that it will continue to do so...

Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
It's definitely having an impact on this area. There are a lot of folks commuting down there, but also a lot of folks that are getting VERY nice checks that are relocating up here. In addition to oil company execs coming to town. In addition to the oil, the guys trucking sand, water, etc for the fracking are doing very well, and employing a ton of folks.

It's had a very direct effect on my business (real estate).

Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's definitely having an impact on this area. There are a lot of folks commuting down there, but also a lot of folks that are getting VERY nice checks that are relocating up here. In addition to oil company execs coming to town. In addition to the oil, the guys trucking sand, water, etc for the fracking are doing very well, and employing a ton of folks.

It's had a very direct effect on my business (real estate).
Would you say you have noticed an uptick in the high end real estate market? Or across the board?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio