Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 9,571 times

Advertisements

I have looked through the previous threads and they have been pretty informative. I have been to SA for work quite a bit but haven’t had time to check surrounding areas. I am actually going to transfer to SA fairly soon and wanted to get some takes on areas to look. I have heard good things about the north side of SA and my office will be located off Bulverde so I’m leaning toward that area. I have 2 small boys (one is special needs so feel free to provide any input on experiences you may have had with local schools) so schools are very important. My wife is a teacher so she will be pretty flexible depending on where we live. We enjoy nearly anything and everything outdoors so parks, rivers, lakes, woods are all very welcome. We would like to be around 160K for a place, I guess we’ll see what that will get us. I just know that immediately will exclude some areas I love running and cycling and know both activities are popular up there. I live in McAllen TX so I know what the weather is like there and have a general idea of the city.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and look forward to living in the San Antonio area. Good day.

Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
With an office off of Bulverde, you're probably going to want to live in the North East ISD.

The newest housing areas are north of 1604, but there aren't many parks up there. Since you mentioned a strong interest in parks, I would suggest looking at neighborhoods inside 1604, especially around McAlister Park and Hardberger Park.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Right off Bulverde Rd is Encino Park where my friend had her son with Aspergers at Encino Park El. Not sure what exactly y'all are looking at for special needs but she was extremely happy. He was there when diagnosed so she must have been satisfied with how it was handled before he was on medication, etc. There are some homes out there in that price range but you would need to check as some go to other schools and may even be Judson rather then NEISD. Not that they would be bad schools I just don't know anything to tell you. The zip code is 78259 over there. I don't have firsthand knowledge but have seen the special needs teachers at Stone Oak El and have been impressed--I volunteer ALOT up there. There are a few homes to be had in the mid $170s over here and of course that is list not what they might take. The zip code is 78258 and it is right across 281 from Encino Park which backs to Bulverde.

Hopefully someone can give you feedback to schools along Bulverde and just inside 1604. It would make for a great commute for you. And welcome to SanAntonio!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 AM

31 posts, read 75,064 times
Look in the Johnson & Reagan High School areas which are great areas and close to your work. Also for your special needs child, San Antonio has it's own theme park designed for special needs kids called Morgan's Wonderland, which would be pretty close as well.

Check their web site: Morgan's Wonderland - The World's First Ultra Accessible Family Fun Park

Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll continue looking into the area and options. I've been to Morgans and looked around, very impressive place.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 PM

258 posts, read 323,726 times
Moderator cut: see comment I would seriously look at that area as the schools are excellent and the area has houses in different price points new and existing. GOOD LUCK! You will love that area as it's growing with new restaurants and conveniences. I am moving back in a year since I miss it.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-21-2012 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, no advertising/soliciting permitted in these CD forums , no matter however subtle

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
Moderator cut: see comment I would seriously look at that area as the schools are excellent and the area has houses in different price points new and existing. GOOD LUCK! You will love that area as it's growing with new restaurants and conveniences. I am moving back in a year since I miss it.
Which area are you most impressed with exactly?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 PM

I'm actually going to be in SA this weekend looking around, getting more familiar with the areas. Hopefully I stumble into some nice places and I'll check back in with you guys and get your take on the area. I appreciate everyone's comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio