Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:29 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting tidbit about Boerne. If anyone (other than myself) read the Little Colonel books you'll remember the town of Bauer in one of the books (Mary Ware in Texas). The town of Bauer is in reality Boerne, Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM

258 posts, read 323,836 times
I work in Boerne and love the area. It's a growing "suburb" of San Antonio. Even with all the growth Boerne has maintained some of the BEST schools around. It's a growing town with a lot of charm and land. If you decide to make the move I think you will find it a very smart move. It's close enough to SA for conveniences. Boerne just built a super grocery store (HEB PLUS) that is very nice. Plans for a movie theater are in the works. There are nice restaurants and fast food nearby as well. The land and views of hills also make Boerne desireable!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:57 PM

326 posts, read 681,960 times
Wow! You're quite the cheerleader for the area and living in TX....never concerned about water? What's the demographic like? You'd describe the area as a family friendly area?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM

258 posts, read 323,836 times
Demograhically speaking mid to upper class (Boerne). I don't know if Boerne is on the same water source as San Antonio. Boerne is quite the place to raise your family. Very friendly oriented as well.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
I always thought that the guys working at Camp Stanley had the best job. They could live anywhere in or north of Boerne and never have to deal with traffic or rush hour of SA. Hell, if I worked at Camp Stanley, I'd probably live in Sisterdale.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Boerne IS a great place to raise a family. My family (with three kids between 8-20) has been all over the U.S. and Europe. We moved down to Boerne from central TX and a brief detour in D.C. for me. Everyone is pleased. Very family friendly and quite welcoming.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM

Yay! Well now I'm getting excited. How does Boerne in comparison to Stone Oak? I've just read a lot from other people's comments raving about that area. I don't know much about it but thought I'd ask. What do you think a commute from Boerne to the Fort Sam Houston (Bamsey) area would run/be like? Where we live is a suburb of D.C. and commute times are upwards of an hour or "so"...when the weather is perfect. Give it a little rain, some snow, or just insane drivers then you're looking at around 1.5 hours. Just thought I'd ask.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:21 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
If I was working at/near Ft. Sam, I'd be looking for a place in Alamo Heights.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:36 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Both DH and I are SA natives thru and thru... Born and raised, Yee haw, Go Spurs Go and all that jazz... We moved to the Boerne area almost 4 years ago and LOVE it!!! Would not trade it, will not live in another part of SA again, if anything we will move further into Boerne...

We are not in Boerne ISD, however... We are the furthest that Northside ISD goes, so our kids all go to Northside schools... Still excellent in every way... Our kids love their elementary and our High Schooler loved her middle school and now loves her High School... As parents, we have been very pleased with their academics...

The area we are in is a Boerne address but we are still in Bexar county, as opposed to Kendall county... We are apx 7-8 mins from The Rim and apx 10 mins from La Cantera... We are apx 7-8 mins from the heart of downtown Boerne... I do as much as possible in Boerne, to avoid the the craziness of SA... I do our grocery shopping in Boerne, go the YMCA in Boerne, go to the Boerne library, go to the Post Office in Boerne, use the Tax Accessors office in Boerne... I think you get my point, LoL!!!

DH works in SA and drives into downtown 6 days a week... 3 days a week he drives in at 12noon and the other 3 days he drives in at 930pm ... His drive time is apx 25mins, although he does drive at off peak traffic times...

When I am driving back home around 5pm, traffic can get heavy, but it's not too bad... When driving I-10 West towards Boerne at 5pm you will run into traffic but it thins out once you pass 1604 and pass all the traffic trying to get onto 1604... Actually, if you just stay in the left hand lane, you should not have too bad of a problem... Once past 1604 you will run into a bit of traffic again when you pass The Rim, this is from the cars trying to enter the highway from The Rim area... It's not bad though and again, if you just stay in the left lane, it goes by rather smoothly... Some people will say the traffic going into Boerne is horrible, but compared to other areas of town, it's not... I would rather drive in this traffic any day than drive in the Stone Oak/1604/281 traffic...

Personally, I would rather live in the Boerne area than in the Stone Oak area... You will get different opinions here... I just prefer what the Boerne area has to offer better than what Stone Oak has to offer...

I would say from Boerne to Ft Sam you are looking at a 45min drive or so, on a perfect traffic day... Add in an accident, heavier than normal traffic, bad weather, you could be looking at an hour or so, give or take...

Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Thank you!!! LOVE your post. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out. What is it that Boerne has that Stone Oak doesn't- would you say?

Typically, how big are your kid's class sizes? And are parents involved at their schools? That's one thing I dislike here. I feel like it's just myself and another parent who do "it all" at my son's school. I LOVE being involved but I just find it funny when the parent's who complain the most, do the least. The same for every sports team my son has ever been on. I'm the only parent that seems to think we should do something to show the coach our appreciation- it's a volunteer job people?! Sorry...getting a little side tracked. I just am SO tired of this area and every parent wanting little Johnny to have the best, be the best, but want NOTHING to do with helping contribute to making that happen. I'm pretty sure half the parents in my son's class don't know the teachers name. And the other half of the sports parents don't know which kids belong on our team. I guess I'm just wanting to live some place that "family" is still valued. I'm completely loose on my definition of what a "family" looks like ...call me liberal...lol ...but I just really value my kids, my relationships, and the time with the people I love. I feel like that gets lost here in my little patch on the east coast. People are SO busy to hurry up and get nowhere, to show off what they have that they can't afford, and to pass their kids off on the next person...it just kills me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio