Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM

732 posts, read 3,552,587 times

Advertisements

We live in Stonecreek - between Potranco and Marbach. It's a fairly new development - which means the ground is always getting churned up and critters are forced to go on the move. The critter problem will likely lessen as construction nears an end but, we are bound to continue to have some encounters due to the green belt out back.

Again, I LOVE the neighborhood and area but would have, perhaps, chosen a home further in the neighborhood if I had know about the critter potential when backing onto an open area the way we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 07:36 AM

4 posts, read 8,992 times
we are moving to SA and i have fallen in love with a home that backs to a greenbelt (sounds like it is very similar)(in fact, you may have responded to my post on another topic thread), but i am very, VERY concerned about the crittter situation. honestly, if you had to do it again, would you buy another house that did not back to a greenbelt. are the critters really that bad, even with regular pest control??

Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiva1970 View Post
we are moving to SA and i have fallen in love with a home that backs to a greenbelt (sounds like it is very similar)(in fact, you may have responded to my post on another topic thread), but i am very, VERY concerned about the crittter situation. honestly, if you had to do it again, would you buy another house that did not back to a greenbelt. are the critters really that bad, even with regular pest control??
When we built (94) we backed into a greenbelt...since then homes have been built.

When we first moved in here, we had LOTS of critters...but got the quarterly pest control thing going and they deminished/disappeared quickly. I think the KEY is QTRLY pest control vs just having them come out once and calling it quits. We have done this for all our homes and have never had bugs at all (except for ants...and that comes and goes. Fire ants when it rains too much, ants in search of water during a drought). Even with all the rains this summer, we had NO fireants in our yard...so think we finally got a handle on it with our pest service!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
In our immediate area, there has only been one snake sighting in the last 4 years. Only a few scorpions as well, along with the ants that Paka was describing.. We get the quarterly treatment too. Two weeks ago my wife was very surprised by a huge toad right near our front door. Scared the heck out of her! We are in a 4 year old neighborhood and back to a greenbelt.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:16 AM

19 posts, read 72,333 times
Our family faces a similar move, per job relocation. Are there actually areas in SA that are without scorpions, tarantula's and those large centipedes? I am miserable when I am faced with a bug. Is the NE better or worse then the NW? I'm guessing acreage would be worse? Are the pesticide treatments okay with little children living in the house? Is it typically attic treatement, indoor, and outdoor? Would a monthly treatment work better than a quarterly? My husband will be traveling often, so I'm loosing one of my sources for on-the-spot pest control (hee,hee). Are these bugs also found in your garages? Do you find them in your cars? Will a cat take care of the scorpions too? We don't have one. Just curious. Our current residence hosts a house fly or two a year. That is it.

Last edited by fun4mj; 10-14-2007 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4mj View Post
Our family faces a similar move, per job relocation. Are there actually areas in SA that are without scorpions, tarantula's and those large centipedes? I am miserable when I am faced with a bug.
No, you are NOT moving to the Amazon...only SA. I am sorry to disappoint you or anyone else that thinks that, but you will not see scorpions unless you are moving huge rocks or going after firewood (where they nest) or something like that...and I have NEVER SEEN EITHER A TRANTULA OR CENTIPEDE IN SAN ANTONIO and I grew up here! Now misquitos, that is another story, but I have found that IF you take Vit B daily, they don't bit. Someone told me about it years ago and I swear by it. When I tell folks and they try it they to are amazed. If you forget for a few days in a row, and the skitters are out, they will "remind" you!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
No, you are NOT moving to the Amazon...only SA. I am sorry to disappoint you or anyone else that thinks that, but you will not see scorpions unless you are moving huge rocks or going after firewood (where they nest) or something like that...and I have NEVER SEEN EITHER A TRANTULA OR CENTIPEDE IN SAN ANTONIO and I grew up here! Now misquitos, that is another story, but I have found that IF you take Vit B daily, they don't bit. Someone told me about it years ago and I swear by it. When I tell folks and they try it they to are amazed. If you forget for a few days in a row, and the skitters are out, they will "remind" you!
Paka, seriously you haven't seen tarantulas???? We're just across the highway from you and we've seen several! All of them outdoors, and under brush, tho. The kids love them! AND we've had scorpions IN the house. Probably less than 5 in the 4 years we've been in the neighborhood, but..... Now those huge, ugly centipedes, haven't had them in San Antonio, but we had them ALOT when we lived in Atascosa County!! Ugh! They are frightening!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 PM

174 posts, read 504,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Other than west Texas, the only place I had ever seen a Tarantula was Hollywood Park. After moving here, I have both brown and black ones. I remember my wife telling me there was a huge black one by the front door. When she opened it up... ZOOM! one with about a 5" spread came in racing towards me. My kids now have one as a pet. I'll take 'em any day over a scorpion.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM

732 posts, read 3,552,587 times
We have been in SA for 5 months now and, in that time, we have had two scorpions in our house (that we have seen). My husband was sitting on the floor and working on the laptop when he felt something crawling on his elbow and, sure enough, it was a scorpion. He didn't get stung, luckily.

Just last week our cat started stalking something on the kitchen floor. It was a baby scorpion (about 1/4 inch long). We called the pest control company the next day to have them spray again as we've got a newborn and toddler in the house and don't want them getting stung.

We live next to a greenbelt and have seen only one or two garden snakes ourselves but our neighbors have spotted rattlers and one coral snake recently.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd buy a house on greenbelt (we're currently renting.) I find that we don't use our backyard because we're so worried about our kids getting stung or bit. It seems like a waste to have a yard but not be able to enjoy it. It may change if they ever build behind us but there don't seem to be any plans to do so. We will likely look for another home when our lease is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio