Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 PM

448 posts, read 919,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I just noticed a good sized solar array off I-37 south across from Calaveras a while back. Near there at least. Let's hope this isn't another fill someone's pocket only to have them file bankruptcy soon after debacle. Like the Prez's (solar business) build the economy and make jobs failed effort.
I doubt that's the case. OSI has been in business for over 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
To be clear, there are two separate projects here. A solar generation project and a solar panel component manufacturing project.

There's plenty of solar generation in San Antonio and having our electric utility put money into more of it makes perfect sense to me.

But I don't get the wisdom behind building any part of solar panels here. It's not a sustainable business to produce a commodity item that will sell for substantially more than the imported Chinese version of that commodity item. As a ratepayer, I don't like seeing CPS Energy investing in this project. Hearing that the jobs are high-paying is no consolation, either. High labor costs will affect the cost of the company's output and give it less chance to be competitive in the marketplace. I like the notion of adding new, high-paying jobs in our city - but what good are these jobs if the company offering them isn't going to last very long?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
To be clear, there are two separate projects here. A solar generation project and a solar panel component manufacturing project.

There's plenty of solar generation in San Antonio and having our electric utility put money into more of it makes perfect sense to me.

But I don't get the wisdom behind building any part of solar panels here. It's not a sustainable business to produce a commodity item that will sell for substantially more than the imported Chinese version of that commodity item. As a ratepayer, I don't like seeing CPS Energy investing in this project. Hearing that the jobs are high-paying is no consolation, either. High labor costs will affect the cost of the company's output and give it less chance to be competitive in the marketplace. I like the notion of adding new, high-paying jobs in our city - but what good are these jobs if the company offering them isn't going to last very long?
Bo, when you say "last very long" are you saying 5, 10, 25 or 50 years? Please elaborate.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Bo, when you say "last very long" are you saying 5, 10, 25 or 50 years? Please elaborate.
Less than that. I'm thinking 1 or 2, based on the Solyndra experience.

How long can a company last if there are no buyers for its products?

To bring it closer to home, if you were putting solar panels on your home, would you want your contractor to use: Product A, which is made in China; or Product B, which costs 50% more and nearly doubles the cost of going solar, although it is made in San Antonio?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Less than that. I'm thinking 1 or 2, based on the Solyndra experience.

How long can a company last if there are no buyers for its products?

To bring it closer to home, if you were putting solar panels on your home, would you want your contractor to use: Product A, which is made in China; or Product B, which costs 50% more and nearly doubles the cost of going solar, although it is made in San Antonio?
I'm a bit confused. No where in the article does it say this will be sold to consumers. It sounds like companies such as CPS will be purchasing the panels and providing the solar power energy to their customers.

Am I missing something?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
I'm a bit confused. No where in the article does it say this will be sold to consumers. It sounds like companies such as CPS will be purchasing the panels and providing the solar power energy to their customers.

Am I missing something?
Power utilities aren't going to overpay for those items either. I imagine municipal utilities have some legal obligation to purchase from the low bidder. When the low bidder is a company from China that undercuts its US-based competitor, they're going to get the multi-million dollar order.

You sound like you've thought this through from a different perspective. Am I missing something? If China can undercut us on manufacturing home solar panels, what would be so different about manufacturing commercial panels that would give a US company an edge? I'd like to be wrong on this, but I'm concerned that it's potentially a huge boondoggle. Are the components too big to ship from China?

Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
I for one, would be more concerned with the quality of that product...be it from China or San antonio or anywhere else. If I were to invest a substantial amount of money for a solar power system for the casa, I would be looking for the best quality product I could find for the fairest price...not the cheapest deal I can find.

Like we have a choice when it comes to a project like this.....as always, money talks.

Last edited by txtea; 07-24-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
San Antonio's "Green Initiative" and its costs.

CPS paying more than LA for solar power, sources say - San Antonio Express-News

Why is the only councilman raising questions Carlton Soules? And he is frustrated by not getting the requested data.

I am warmed by Mayor Castro's assurance, “We're confident that when you consider all of the factors involved in the deal, CPS Energy got a very competitive rate,” he said in a written statement.

One has to wonder what factors------- Factors good for him or the ratepayers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio