Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Ummmm , the Japanese Railway system is one of a few that runs on profit. The Maglev line is being built in phases , and will open in 2045. Acela Express runs on profit also along with a few other HST's. Amtrak Regional , Vermonter , Keystone , and Downeaster all run on or near profit. The only Japan is in debt or making mistakes is building highways to nowhere , but everything in Japan is private. There Bullet trains also run every 5-10 mins , the only railway system to operate like Mass Transit.
I don't believe I mentioned the Acela Express--a fine fast diesel, yes. I remember when it wasn't so fine and plagued with problems (back when I was riding the NE Corridor in the late 90s) but glad to see it is profitable. Too bad they can't convert the rest of them to that platform, but that's neither here nor there. I was discussing the maglev line and Japan's rail debt. The Japanese Railway System is only partially privatized to date, and of the two sections that are, only one is fully profitable--Japanese East. They are still in debt on the whole a tremendous amount, and won't be out for a while.

I'm afraid you might have confused me with someone that doesn't support rail. Quite the opposite, but as Dopo mentioned, someone has to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
M2F,

Our country is in debt as well as we all know it. Way more than 51 billion over spending of items that I personally consider less useful than bullet trains. Point is, I wish the reason we are in debt because of something more useful such as the bullet trains.

Just my opinion.

Look, debt is debt is debt. So you're at the top of a mountain, and some douchebag offers to take you down in a Snowcat for 10K, or you can trek it yourself with your own skis for free. So what, Matt, do you borrow $10K from your broke-a$$ mother just so you can get down a hill two hours faster??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
M2F,

I see your point. Just saying I wish we werent so much in debt like now that it prevents us from moving forward in a positive way.

I would certainly support the light rail but couldn't see it happening when we can't afford it.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I've heard that the commuter trains even in the most heavily used area of the country (northeast) is only utilized by 5% of the commuters there. The rest of them drive.

I imagine that percentage would be even lower here in Texas.
about 800,000 people use Commuter / Regional Rail in NYC Region, and that has been climbing jumped by 100,000 this past decade. Buses are used by another 3 million , about 11 million use Transit / Rail in the NYC region. 5 million in NYC alone. Its very used , transit up here is always taken advantage of...... All the Northeastern states are committing to a massive 18,110 miles of restored railway.... by 2050. Most trains are also half packed on off peak , they run near empty outside the region. During rush hour , its standing room only..... While 5% only uses the Trains in the Northeast , that will go out later this decade as the system is restored west and North into the growing population regions. By the end of the decade if the 4 lines that are proposed are restored and everything is planned right , my state can easily see another 400,000 be added into the Regional Railway system.

Our 2 Buseit lines and Intercity Service which doesn't stop , the town with the station recently rebuilt its downtown around the train station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0SUp2YdNg

Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I don't believe I mentioned the Acela Express--a fine fast diesel, yes. I remember when it wasn't so fine and plagued with problems (back when I was riding the NE Corridor in the late 90s) but glad to see it is profitable. Too bad they can't convert the rest of them to that platform, but that's neither here nor there. I was discussing the maglev line and Japan's rail debt. The Japanese Railway System is only partially privatized to date, and of the two sections that are, only one is fully profitable--Japanese East. They are still in debt on the whole a tremendous amount, and won't be out for a while.

I'm afraid you might have confused me with someone that doesn't support rail. Quite the opposite, but as Dopo mentioned, someone has to pay for it.

Look, debt is debt is debt. So you're at the top of a mountain, and some douchebag offers to take you down in a Snowcat for 10K, or you can trek it yourself with your own skis for free. So what, Matt, do you borrow $10K from your broke-a$$ mother just so you can get down a hill two hours faster??
LOL the Acela is electric not Diesel. The Wires need to overhauled and we need more capacity but there slowly doing that. 4 Tracks is not enough , we need 8 in some places. We also expanding some stations to meet demand , like Baltimore , DC , Wilmington , Newark , NY , Boston. Japan is over doing itself.....The NEC and the core lines will be upgraded this and next decade. The Core lines cover the entire NE and will allow NJ , PA , NY , CT , MA , VT , and DE to restore Railways at a faster rate. The NEC is used by about 760,000+ people if you combine the commuter railway / Amtrak numbers. Everything feeds or needs the NEC , its a key part of this regions economy.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LOL the Acela is electric not Diesel. The Wires need to overhauled and we need more capacity but there slowly doing that. 4 Tracks is not enough , we need 8 in some places. We also expanding some stations to meet demand , like Baltimore , DC , Wilmington , Newark , NY , Boston. Japan is over doing itself.....The NEC and the core lines will be upgraded this and next decade. The Core lines cover the entire NE and will allow NJ , PA , NY , CT , MA , VT , and DE to restore Railways at a faster rate. The NEC is used by about 760,000+ people if you combine the commuter railway / Amtrak numbers. Everything feeds or needs the NEC , its a key part of this regions economy.
Eh, whatever. Does it matter? No. Is it that funny? No.

All sounds like a lot of money to me! Further, last I checked Amtrak is government owned.

So, in summary: America's rail is absolutely nothing like Japan's, even though they both have debt, various random problems, but overall, the bullet train is pretty da*ned cool and we as Americans are idiots if we don't spend the billions upon billions of dollars to fund it.

Yes?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Eh, whatever. Does it matter? No. Is it that funny? No.

All sounds like a lot of money to me! Further, last I checked Amtrak is government owned.

So, in summary: America's rail is absolutely nothing like Japan's, even though they both have debt, various random problems, but overall, the bullet train is pretty da*ned cool and we as Americans are idiots if we don't spend the billions upon billions of dollars to fund it.

Yes?
Yea , theres a huge difference. Well it is alot of $$$ , but the ROD / TOD generated is a great reward. Nah , we don't need a Japanese system we need a Euro-American hybrid of a system. The Northeast should have a Japanese type system in 3 decades ....i'm sure by the end of the decade the politicians will finally get it.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,525 times
I think SA needs to get a light rail system in place before a Aus/San train. It(SA) is the largest city without one now. Not a good stat for the city.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:52 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I don't buy the "We are in debt" excuse,
we've been in debt for decades and that's never going to change.
When's the last time we weren't in debt? I bet it was more than 100 years ago.

I'm always going to say this....
If we had money to "rebuild Iraq" why don't we have money to "rebuild America"?

Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Whoa, folks. Discussing debt and other things the Federal government spends its money on besides trains is just asking for a thread hijack into national politics land. Since national politics is off topic in every local forum at City-Data, don't go there.

To keep the thread on topic, make sure your replies at least include some reference to rail in Texas!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Sorry,

Signed,
Mr. Off-topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio