Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times

Advertisements

I am no fan of unions either, and see this as another example of their undue influence on organizations such as the SAPD.

I am pretty damn sure that this officer's retention was not something Chief McManus wanted, I have met and heard him speak on several occasions and in my opinion this city could not have a better person leading its police force. McManus is working hard to better professionalize his force and improve its image, and individuals such as Rakun are not helping towards that goal.

Remove the prohibiting factors in this case and I would bet that McManus would have dumped Rakun long ago!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-27-2012, 12:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
From the past:
From the LA Times:
Quote:
Sgt. Harold Flammia, president of the union, denies widespread police corruption.
"The problems were caused by four or five officers," Flammia said. "We got a lot of bad press, but morale is back up. Our problem for the last few years has been lack of leadership."
San Antonio Police Department Is Still Reeling as Officer's Trial Opens - Los Angeles Times

City could settle with SAPD cop - San Antonio Express-News

Harold Flammia | National Legal and Policy Center

Yeah, it's a nice gig if you can get it!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,974 times
I am not going to defend this guy or others like him. You will find that the one thing most cops hate more than anything else is a bad cop and that is what this sounds like.

I would like to point out though, just for peoples knowledge, (and again that is not THIS case, this guy seems to be a tool) please understand that as bad and sensationalized as "suspension" sounds, a lot of cops get suspended for doing their jobs/the right thing/ breaking a bad policy for the sake of a citizen. It is pretty common for an LEO to have such a suspension on their record, or a few. The term can be used against them and people just hear "oh he must be bad...."

For example, an agency may have a policy that you will NOT transport injured people in your police car and you find yourself in a situation where an injured party has to go, NOW and their is no ambulance. What do you do? Of course, you do it, you take the suspension and everyone knows you did the right thing. But if you get into trouble (and you may not be guilty) and the press starts talking about "prior suspensions"....it looks real bad and it may not be at all.

Just wanted to throw that out there. I know some people dont care, wont care, dont like the Police but maybe somebody will learn something.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
What a shame...it sounds like he'll be back on duty eventually. Bad cops can't be fired, apparently.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Yeah, it's a nice gig if you can get it!
Ever been on a police ride-along? I doubt you'd feel that way once you had a taste of what patrol officers in this city experience on a daily basis.

Honestly, I would not want to do it; but I have great respect for those who do.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Ever been on a police ride-along? I doubt you'd feel that way once you had a taste of what patrol officers in this city experience on a daily basis.

Honestly, I would not want to do it; but I have great respect for those who do.
Yes, I have many years ago and had plenty cop friends! Feel what way? I've known several vice officers and other patrolman including one killed in the line of duty. I've been on a ride along with a deputy where we blocked a robbery suspect leaving a La Quinta! City cops arrived jumped on the hood with a shotgun on the driver directly in front of us. There are good ones and there are bad ones. BTW, I was speaking of the union boss job! Yeah ride along.... no big deal. We all know what the police are up against and most of us back there efforts. So ..yeah I've been there ...

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,974 times
Quote:
We all know what the police are up against a
Very few people know what the police are up against, a few have an idea and even smaller number have a better idea but the vast majority, no matter how close they are to Officers, no matter how close they are to law enforcement, cant and dont know what the police are up against. Even if you get a taste, it doesnt even come close to doing it, day after day.

No movie, no relationship, no imagination, no small collection of participation can let a person in. (that is true for many jobs) It can give them a respect. It can give them a hint but it simply can open up that world to all that it is.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Very few people know what the police are up against, a few have an idea and even smaller number have a better idea but the vast majority, no matter how close they are to Officers, no matter how close they are to law enforcement, cant and dont know what the police are up against. Even if you get a taste, it doesnt even come close to doing it, day after day.

No movie, no relationship, no imagination, no small collection of participation can let a person in. (that is true for many jobs) It can give them a respect. It can give them a hint but it simply can open up that world to all that it is.
I was referring to the elements you're up against. I considered the possibilities years ago then decided it wasn't for me. I know it takes a certain type individual to live with the things LE live with. It is a tough and risky job some are cut out for and some aren't. Like i said I knew quite a few and have seen the toll taken on them and their families.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 AM

332 posts, read 529,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
And THIS is exactly why unions have become nothing but a burden on society.

LOL hammer, meet nail's head. unions were good back in the day when employees had no rights (or very little rights). now, we have laws that handle unfair labor practices. we no longer need unions. they are a burden on society, as this case shows.

Last edited by lessQQmorePEWPEW; 07-28-2012 at 06:38 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
BTW, I was speaking of the union boss job!
My bad then, I thought you were attacking the police officers.

In that case, I fully agree. Unions have/had a place, but have grown far beyond it and do more harm then good in modern society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio