Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM

501 posts, read 949,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Isn't that essentially what txtea just stated?
No.

It's what I've stated from the beginning. Txtea's original statement was that there's a CM two miles away so HEB has no reason/will not build a heb downtown.

Moderator cut: orphaned HEB has more than once stated publicly they want to build a store downtown.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-31-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:07 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Moderator cut: see note

I'm in real estate development. But that's beyond the point. Just stating do you know I'm not making anything up.

Besides that, HEB has stated publicly that they have a desire to build a store in the urban core. But that population figures are just not where they need to be for it to be feasible. My own opinion is that with all the housing being built and planned to be built will eventually allow for the population growth needed for heb to go through with a store.

I understand perfectly what you are saying...
I, along with everyone else, are talking about the Pearl Brewery and Broadway area...you are including a lot of other areas to support your argument. If and when someone builds a grocery store in the Pearl Brewery area, it will more than likely be smaller than a regular HEB . There are simply not enough people IN THAT AREA now to warrant anything else, when there is a Central Market 2 miles away. Moderator cut: orphaned
I'm glad they are doing something with that stretch of Broadway...it looked like slums for many years.

Anyway, you be sure and let us know when that HEB coming soon sign pops up down there Moderator cut: see note.
P.S. I am a he, not a she.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-31-2012 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: no personal comments - discuss the ideas only

Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
No.

It's what I've stated from the beginning. Txtea's original statement was that there's a CM two miles away so HEB has no reason/will not build a heb downtown.

Moderator cut: orphaned HEB has more than once stated publicly they want to build a store downtown.

Wrong again. I didn't say anything about downtown.

Anywho....let's move on to more important things. I wonder what plans they have if any, to redo the opposite side of Broadway down around where the old Dodge dealer was. That's about the only stretch left that is old and run down.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: no personal comments/attacks - discuss the ideas, not the speaker of those ideas

Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
If and when someone builds a grocery store in the Pearl Brewery area, it will more than likely be smaller than a regular HEB . There are simply not enough people IN THAT AREA now to warrant anything else,
You say that like it's a bad thing. Anyone who has lived in an urban center knows, a "Plus" or "superstore" or even large suburban grocery is the last thing we'd want.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Maybe someday there will be enough people living in the area to warrant building a new store, but as mentioned already, a smaller store would make more sense than a HEB Plus. For now, Central Market is it...2 miles away. Big deal. Be nice if everyone had a grocery store across the street from their house, but it's not going to happen.
You miss the point of URBAN living.

While I don't think that location will be the first for HEB's downtown expansion, because CM is so close, a grocer store "across the street" (not usually a house, more likely a condo or apt) is pretty standard for an urban center. Part of urban living is living without a car. It's having the elements of daily living within walking distance. It's being willing to pay more per SF to live because you have those amenities at hand. We have a lot, but we're not *really* truly urban until we have the elements of daily living - food - across the street. Or at least within walking distance.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Aldi's...LOL The expired and damaged good store, really?
Ever been to Aldi in Europe? Quite the opposite!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. Anyone who has lived in an urban center knows, a "Plus" or "superstore" or even large suburban grocery is the last thing we'd want.
Not at all. Shoot, any store downtown besides Walgreens would be welcome. Even the tourists would give it some business I would imagine. I just can't vision a larger store "downtown"...where would you put it? Several smaller stores in specific areas would surely attract people to the newer developments. I understand the "urban" living concept, even though it's not my cup of tea. I'd love to see the rest of Broadway lined with newer shops, stores, restaurants, etc. Sure beats having to roll your windows up at night to avoid muggers and prostitutes .....lol.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I understand perfectly what you are saying...
I, along with everyone else, are talking about the Pearl Brewery and Broadway area...you are including a lot of other areas to support your argument. If and when someone builds a grocery store in the Pearl Brewery area, it will more than likely be smaller than a regular HEB . There are simply not enough people IN THAT AREA now to warrant anything else, when there is a Central Market 2 miles away. Moderator cut: orphaned
I'm glad they are doing something with that stretch of Broadway...it looked like slums for many years.

Anyway, you be sure and let us know when that HEB coming soon sign pops up down there Moderator cut: see note.
P.S. I am a he, not a she.
What part of urban core do you have comprehending? Moderator cut: orphaned and off-topic The pearl is part of the urban core.

The urban core would be the beneficiary of a grocery store built in the urban core. That includes Downtown, Southtown, River North, Pearl, Lower Broadway. An HEB store built in the downtown area of the urban core would benefit the Pearl area.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-31-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 PM

Why do people bring up CM? CM serves its own niche market. People living downtown are more than likely going to want to shop at an HEB versus a CM. The ones that do will drive or bus or bike out there to shop there.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
i doubt it's booming. HEB and other businesses wouldnt drag their feet if it was.
You obviously don't know anyone inside of HEB then. I have friends who are on their board and it's only a matter of time. HEB is waiting for the right incentive from the city... This has nothing to do with the population of Down/Southtown. This is purely about getting 'the deal.'

And, FYI... Southtown is doing just swell. Your doubts likely come from not being a part of this neighborhood. I've been here for going on 8 years. Southtown and Downtown (including Pearl) are the next big things. I think it's time San Antonio come in from the burbs and reinvest in the actual city.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio