Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
@Merovee : That's pretty much a foregone conclusion. In the meantime, he's setting himself up for an ambassadorship or a cabinet position. He has some powerful friends these days. :-)

--Dim
Well if my vote counts he will be sent right back to San Antonio where he belongs running what most on here see as an uncool city!

I like how everyone is so gung ho about the young lad considering he had to run TWICE just to be mayor.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM

501 posts, read 945,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I like how everyone is so gung ho about the young lad considering he had to run TWICE just to be mayor.
So what? He's been a great Mayor.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,952,912 times
He may have had to run twice, but he has done a lot of good for our fair (yet, somehow uncool) city. I've met him a couple of times, heard him speak a few more. He's a very intelligent man with a lot of vision. The SA2020 campaign (which he pushed very hard) speaks to some of that vision...he understands the importance of moving the city into a new era (focus on higher education, better programs for K-12, and more diversification in the economy, just to name a few).

I'm not a lemming, so I do know he is "just another politician" but he is a far cry better than some of the others this city has seen. I wouldn't mind if he stayed for a few more years, to be honest.

--Dim

Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM

927 posts, read 1,383,663 times
It will be a boon for Castro's political career to be sure. The keynote address at a DNC is a very prestigious and envious speech to have the opportunity to give. As for the Presidency for Mayor Castro? Maybe in 2020.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
He may have had to run twice, but he has done a lot of good for our fair (yet, somehow uncool) city. I've met him a couple of times, heard him speak a few more. He's a very intelligent man with a lot of vision. The SA2020 campaign (which he pushed very hard) speaks to some of that vision...he understands the importance of moving the city into a new era (focus on higher education, better programs for K-12, and more diversification in the economy, just to name a few).

I'm not a lemming, so I do know he is "just another politician" but he is a far cry better than some of the others this city has seen. I wouldn't mind if he stayed for a few more years, to be honest.

--Dim
Agreed, Dim. I've met and heard him speak on several occasions, and I too am impressed with the young man!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,362,510 times
Default Julian Castro's Twice run for Mayor,

That is all right, he a is a kid politically speaking in age and experience. And, he appears younger than his years...It is amazing how much notoriety he has achieved in such a short span of time.
This is a thrilling prospect for this not so long ago backwater town, San Antonio. Let the naysayers whine, it happens all the time.
As for San Antonio being an "Uncool city"? Speak for yourself. It has a lot going for itself.
26 million visitors annually can't be wrong. Besides read a couple of lines down here on this forum where San Antonio made the "top 20 coolest city" list.
I snicker over the parade faux pas , all of those waving people potentially fooled. An old girlfriend
of mine used to pull the same stunt in high school classes with her twin sister until the slight differences
in appearance were noticed by an alert teacher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Well if my vote counts he will be sent right back to San Antonio where he belongs running what most on here see as an uncool city!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,393,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Said it before and will again: Julian Castro will run for president one day.
Agreed! He has a very bright future ahead of him!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,393,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
As for the Presidency for Mayor Castro? Maybe in 2020.
I'd say it will be sooner than that. People may think I'm crazy...but I think in 2016, Mayor Castro will either be a VP pick or a presidential nominee.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,565 times
Castro? Personally, I think he's got the charisma of dryer lint. I don't see him as a POTUS candidate anytime soon, as he reads far too nervous when he's on a national stage and speaking.

I do hope he's well-coached beforehand. Anyone can be handed a brilliantly written speech, but very few can turn the words on paper into something transcendent. If this is his audition for greener pastures (and it's quite an audition at that), he's only got one shot to make this stick. It's clear why Obama made the choice to include the first Hispanic key-note speaker, but aside from playing racial politics, it's a huge opportunity for Julian Castro.

As a mayor, I've been ho-hum on his tenure so far. I just feel like Hardberger had more local political momentum/clout and actually got things accomplished. With Castro, I hear a lot of talk. I don't see a lot of action.

BN

Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM

927 posts, read 1,383,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I'd say it will be sooner than that. People may think I'm crazy...but I think in 2016, Mayor Castro will either be a VP pick or a presidential nominee.
I think 2020 is more of a realistic time frame for Castro to make a run for the presidency. It'll give him time to season and mature as an individual and also gain some currency as a national level politician. Ironically enough current President Obama gave the opening night keynote address at the DNC in 2004. Four years later we all know what happened. Will Mayor Castro's path take a similar trajectory? Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio