Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 AM

326 posts, read 681,720 times

Advertisements

We're considering relocating from MD and our 2yr old twins have asthma. Knock on wood- it SEEMS to be seasonal with the occasional flare up. But, I was hoping for some feedback from those who might be living in the area with asthmatics. Everything I've read says humidity is more of the issue rather than just heat. Others say extreme weather conditions or just the changing of seasons as a whole. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times
Depends on what spawns your child's asthma. Is it allergy driven, chronic problem, etc?
Mine is allergy driven and be prepared, SA is a hodge podge of allergens.

Mountain Cedar is the big one with me. It triggers my asthma and can keep me locked down indoors for Dec-Feb.
But each person is different, so in order to help you'd need to understand what type of asthma your children have.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM

Thanks, nismospec. No, it's not chronic. It seems to be allergy driven to be honest as they have seemingly "out grown it" to the point of just dealing with it during seasonal changes or extreme over night weather changes.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Another big one around here is Oak Pollen (Feb-Mar). It doesn't bother some, and others it bothers terribly. Some develop a sensitivity after they move here.

Both my husband and my son have asthma and allergies to some extent. My husband is year-round, and oak pollen and molds bother him. My son is seasonal (oak).

FWIW, if seasonal change is what triggers attacks, you will not have a lot of that here. Fall and winters are usually mild, but cold fronts can bring in "stuff".

Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks pobre! I appreciate that and sort of thought the same. My thinking was moving to an area that has less of the "4 seasons" might be a better fit for them? My father is dying for us to agree to move to Vegas buuuut I just can't see that happening. Vegas and several spots in TX make the "Largest U.S. Cities" to run out of water on just about every list.
Which is why I'd be happy to move to NC! lol I think my husband and father would prefer the less humid, less "seasonal" areas over NC/MD.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 AM

83 posts, read 156,115 times
Have you tried allergy testing to find out what specifically they are allergic to? I had asthma really bad as a child and it disappeared until about 3 years ago and it wasn't until I had an allergy test and found out I'm allergic to my dog and that's why it came back up.
But the reason I mention allergy testing is because when I was a child my asthma was managed with allergy shots which prevented any flare ups and emergency room visits for a breathing treatment.
Just an idea.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
I have 'seasonal' asthma. It seems to flare up in the winter and spring especially in the months of January, February, March, sometimes April. Pobre is right because mine happens as soon as a cold front comes through.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks NWTX1293- I appreciate that. I will certainly look into that. I never thought of having them tested by an allergist. Their asthma is pretty controlled with the occasional med and is nothing extreme but I would prefer NO meds!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
We don't have a perfect four seasons, but we do have seasons. The Winter months (late December to February) are characterized by the aforementioned Mountain Cedar followed by the Oak from about February to April. After that their is Pecan I believe. That's the summer allergy that gets a lot in the early summer (May to June). During our hottest months there is a chance that smoke from the seasonal forest fires in Mexico may trigger an allergy. The air isn't the best right about now. It gets hazy and smoky at times even though the agricultural burning is thousands of miles away.

I agree that the allergy testing may be a good route. But, then again, some of my family have horrible allergies when we go to Illinois in the winter but have been perfect since we've been here. Everyone is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio