Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:40 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
well said mariachi. The poor areas of town are filthy, it is their own fault it is filthy. The crime in higher in that area. I also was very poor but worked smart and go out of that lifestyle.
I disagree that it is their own fault. I will offer one local and historical example and fault should not be assigned to any one group because we all collectively chose as a society and it is really up to all of us to fix it:

• In the 1930s the Jefferson and Harlandale areas were new subdivisions.
  • Both had covenants not allowing certain specific groups to move in, basically everyone not in the group allowed to move in. http://tinyurl.com/c4v439z
  • During our past investment was put into the newer areas which not everyone could move into.
  • Investment was specifically not put into other neighborhoods.
  • Successful neighborhoods require investment and we chose as a society to allow others to be neglected.
  • Many are able to escape these neighborhoods to raise their children in a better place.
  • San Antonio should not have neighborhoods that "need escaping from"
  • We shouldn't continue the practice of deliberately not investing in certain areas.
  • We shouldn't have second-class citizenship.
  • Every neighborhood in San Antonio should allow its residents access to good schools and jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 AM

89 posts, read 148,197 times
when the city closed alot of the the Courts didn't they spred the sec 8 people to like the MacArthur areas and what not?

Being a westsider ive seen my are actually improve . Meaning its quieter and there is a drop in crime and im seeing it move to the northern areas. YET !... Whats the point of moving low income families and opeaning section 8 areas to other parts of the citys? Like that is gonna motivate them or improve there suituation?
In my opinion it makes things worse , now they are being judged by they're neighbors . LETS BE REAL

Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM

89 posts, read 148,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
well said mariachi. The poor areas of town are filthy, it is their own fault it is filthy. The crime in higher in that area. I also was very poor but worked smart and go out of that lifestyle.
what parts of town are filthy? thats sounded so vague

Old 08-04-2012, 12:07 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Yes... and were even back in the 1970's when I was in elementary school there. My parents finally had enough, and we moved when I was in 7th grade. My wife says I should just "let it go", but that district still makes me angry.
Things were like this in the 70s too? Oh my. My own thoughts/recommendations are to consolidate some of the southside school districts together since some of them are small. South San ISD, Southside ISD, Harlandale ISD. I'm no expert in consolidation in school districts but maybe a re-org can do good.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:41 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
I believe it...never seen so many gated communities in my life.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM

108 posts, read 241,485 times
Progress and development is an indicator of what part of the city has better schools and expensive homes. Business are popping up and booming on the Northeast side from Stone Oak, Sonterra, toward Converse. The Northwest side is begininng to start booming from the Rim toward Boerne. The East (downtown)and Westside ( Commmerce and Zarzamora) are no better than they were when I was growing up in the Seventies. The Southeast and South side are gradually improving with Toyata and Texas A&M University . Babcock Road to Potranco on 1604 are showing improvement within in the last 10 years. Drive completely around 1604 and you can see the changes in development ,it is that noticeable.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I disagree that it is their own fault. I will offer one local and historical example and fault should not be assigned to any one group because we all collectively chose as a society and it is really up to all of us to fix it:

• In the 1930s the Jefferson and Harlandale areas were new subdivisions.
  • Both had covenants not allowing certain specific groups to move in, basically everyone not in the group allowed to move in. Anglos and Mexicans in the Making of Texas, 1836-1986 - David Montejano - Google Books
  • During our past investment was put into the newer areas which not everyone could move into.
  • Investment was specifically not put into other neighborhoods.
  • Successful neighborhoods require investment and we chose as a society to allow others to be neglected.
  • Many are able to escape these neighborhoods to raise their children in a better place.
  • San Antonio should not have neighborhoods that "need escaping from"
  • We shouldn't continue the practice of deliberately not investing in certain areas.
  • We shouldn't have second-class citizenship.
  • Every neighborhood in San Antonio should allow its residents access to good schools and jobs.
This information is all fine a dandy but it doesn't take into a count cultural issues in San Antonio.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
A Federal judge made a ruling this week that could put a dent in economic segregation.

Affluent areas may see more low-cost housing - San Antonio Express-News

Quote:
The reforms will allow the agency to challenge opposition to low-cost housing from neighborhood groups, which wield more power in Texas than in other states and often force subsidized apartments away from desirable areas.

Such opposition has blocked proposed developments in middle-class neighborhoods of San Antonio, which has one of the worst patterns of housing segregation in Texas.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:54 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
A Federal judge made a ruling this week that could put a dent in economic segregation.

Affluent areas may see more low-cost housing - San Antonio Express-News
Who in their right tiny mind would want to buy a 500K house then like them put low income housing in the front of it???

It's like the opposite of what happened thirty years. They are spreading the low income individuals all over the city and the "well off" are flooding back into downtown and pricing them the low income people out. Oh well...

Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM

258 posts, read 323,836 times
Hopefully some urban renewal will change the face of downtown. It will also change the demographics of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio