Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times

Advertisements

Well, the drunks of San Antonio strike again....this time, it was my son.

He was working lane closures on 1604 yesterday morning when a drunk slammed into his truck at full speed, destroying the truck and demolishing the drunks 2010 Camaro to the point that they had to use the Jaws to get him out. Bear in mind - this truck had lights at over 8 different points, all going at once - and yet the guy hammered him.

I am BEYOND disgusted with this situation, and have been for some time, as most of you who've read my comments on the subject know. It's NOT the "fault" of cops or the judicial system 99% of the time - because the SMART drunks go for a jury trial, where they know that 90% of the time, a conviction on DUI charges will only result in probation.

It's well BEYOND time that jurists start handing out significant, REAL penalties - because all too often, these folks continue to drive drunk for many, many years.

We're lucky - my son was banged up, but had no significant injuries, thank God. Looking at the vehicles involved and their damage, it's nothing short of a miracle! Interesting part is.....this has become SO commonplace that there was only one news story on it that I found - that's a VERY sad commentary on just how common this has become!

On another note....even the one story had the facts wrong - my son is NOT a deputy, he works for a local municipality - and he wasn't in a car, but rather a Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 4x4. The extra heigth of the truck is what likely saved his life by transferring much of the impact energy into the truck drive train, etc.

He and his wife will be over later....gonna give him an extra hug for sure!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
I hear ya pal....drinking and driving in this town is way out of control. Thank the good lord your son is ok. I cringe when I think of my son driving in this town...and he's just starting to learn. Give him an extra hug for us too......

Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Glad to hear he's okay. **** drunk drivers. They all should rot in hell

Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Thank God for keeping His hand on your son and others out on the road when this happened.

I don't think punishing people alone will solve the overall issue since alcoholism has components of both a personal and social disease but good thing about your loved one.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM

464 posts, read 804,119 times
Very glad your son is OK.

I hear you on the DUI issue here in SA; it is a cancer that has metastasized out of control. It is the responsibility of each and every Bexar county resident to ensure that our elected political representatives are put on notice and given mandate to drastically reduce this deadly pox.

DUI is a crime that deserves NO leniency whatsoever; rather it demands the harshest punishment applicable to ensure no recidivism and to carry such a negative social stigma as to effectively shun convicted offenders from mainstream society (denial of employment due to convictions, denial of social aid/welfare....)

It's a harsh crime that deserves the harshest punishment.

That's my 2 cents

Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
I am grateful to hear your son is safe.....and we do need to do something about this issue.

WE drink...but do NOT drink and drive.

You and I both hope that they prosecute these people to the fullest extent of the law for sure.

Give your son a hug from all of us.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
I saw an inerview with the DA after a trial for manslaughter. The convicted got probation. The DA stated the jury is the one giving punishment. No the legal system. Maybe the judges should hand out sentences instead of juries.
It is getting way out of hand. whatever hqppened to mandatory punishment?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:27 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,100 times
Glad to hear your son is okay. And it sucks that the city cares about a bunch of 4 year old's rather than its ongoing drunk problem. Wish Bexar county would adopt some of maricopa county's drunk driving laws.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM

129 posts, read 335,190 times
Glad your son is okay. DUIs should get a year in jail and auto forfeited.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM

104 posts, read 216,791 times
We are way too soft, in Austrlalia it is immediate loss for six months. Second offense you lose your right to drive for life!

Here's some other laws from other countries ....
DUI Laws In Other Countries - Drink Drive Lose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio