Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM

16 posts, read 69,701 times

Advertisements

We recently moved here from So Cal and are used to being able to spend most of the day outside. I've been told several time "we don't do that here." What do you do during the day in the summer? I have two kids, ages 5 and 7. Keeping them indoors isn't my first choice.

Also, why does every house have every blind pulled shut? I'm guessing it is a heat thing, but I'd like to know for sure. We are moving into a house the end of August, with a west facing front. Any hints to help keep it cooler would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,434,069 times
We generally play outside in the morning hours then stay inside after nap/lunch.
It's more humid in the morning generally but the heat doesn't usually kick in until after noon.

It's a sacrifice we make for having nice weather the rest of the year.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,092,486 times
Triple digits temps are keeping everyone indoors. I personally find the hottest part of the day as a time to take a nap, then when the sun goes down, I go outside.
Most of the times, blinds are closed because of the heat and depending on the direction of the sun. I keep mine open since they are not facing the sun.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 PM

501 posts, read 947,491 times
You can go out. Do people stay in in Vegas or Phoenix? During summer it's 110 on average and that dry heat doesn't make it better, it makes it worse imo.

The summers here isn't as bad as its perception. Seriously. I thought the heat during the summer here was bad until I visited those aforementioned cities during the summer. Oh man.

Atleast here there's always a wind.

But that heat doesn't keep people inside there nor does the heat keep people indoors here either. But you have to take precautions when you do go out. Drink water or have water with you if your doing things that make you sweat.

It's best to go out after 5/6 as it's cooler then and the breeze is very comforting as the sun sets later.

But don't weather, aside from summer, the weather is pretty much perfect.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM

229 posts, read 671,018 times
Unfortunately, the summers here can be pretty brutal, especially if you have not acclimated to our weather. I have lived in South Texas my entire life and can barely stand to be outside between 2 and 6 pm. As mentioned earlier, I would do my outside activities in the morning or at dusk. And leave the afternoon open for naps, lunch, and other inside activities. One of my favorites is visiting the library during the afternoon, specifically the Central Library as there is garage parking and cold a/c.

I wish our weather wasn't so hot here and I cannot wait until we can move somewhere else. But, it is what it is and that is the price we pay for a low cost of living.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,645,372 times
Southern California has dry heat, but has smog during the summer. I remember one day the temperature got up to 117 degrees and we had no A/C in our house (back in the late 60's). The trouble with here is the humidity, though it is not as bad as the deep south like Mississippi. It's best to do things before noon and the afternoon can be bad for sunburn with children. Normally, around 5PM is the hottest part of the day and your house faces West so that can be a problem. Keep the shades facing that way drawn during the afternoons. It will get nice again in October.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,937,881 times
If you go past SeaWorld or Six Flags, you will see a lot of San Antonians out in the mid-day heat. I don't know where you're getting all this "we don't do that here" but we do.

I was just in LA, the weather is nothing like here. For the next ten days, their highs will be in the low-80s and there's a nice seabreeze. Here we will have triple digits or close to it. There's no comparison, SA is a lot hotter but people still get out and about.

So send your kids outside, let them play; but make sure you keep an eye on them and that they drink a lot of water. Nothing is stopping you, even bad advice.

As for the blinds, people close them for a variety of reasons; one of which is to keep others from looking in. There's nothing wrong or sinister about it, I'm somewhat confused as to why you even think it is an issue...

Welcome to Texas, it's not southern California.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 PM

501 posts, read 947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I was just in LA, the weather is nothing like here. For the next ten days, their highs will be in the low-80s and there's a nice seabreeze. Here we will have triple digits or close to it. There's no comparison, SA is a lot hotter but people still get out and about.
You do know greater Los Angeles has varied weather throughout the region.

It's been hitting 100 or near 100 every day in Studio City, CA for the last couple of weeks and into the next week or so.

Not joking. Look it up.

It may be cool and breezing in one area, but it's hot and dry and hot and humid in another area not but a few miles away.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 AM

993 posts, read 2,485,705 times
Our neighbors are in their pool that they never invite us to.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,795,956 times
It's comfortable to be outside from about 6am to 9 or 10 am, then in the evenings it's not so bad from 7pm on. If you have trees in your yard, the kids might be able to play outside during the afternoon. My kids don't want to play outside in the afternoons, we usually go outside after dinner and they do their running around then.

If you do send your kids out in the afternoon, use plenty of sunscreen and make sure they're drinking enough water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio