Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
993 posts, read 2,493,272 times
Reputation: 309

Advertisements

I pay $157 after $19 in taxes for phone/cable/internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
Reputation: 28036
I pay $57 a month for TWC Turbo internet. It seems to go up $5 every year. We also pay $8/month for Netflix, which we use on 3 computers and one TV, so that's a great deal.

My data usage is pretty heavy...last month it was 164 gigs...that's some of why I don't complain about the fact that I seem to be paying more for internet than most local TWC customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 AM
 
83 posts, read 156,284 times
Reputation: 66
I live in 78258 as well and have AT&T U-verse. I have U200 with HD package, and the middle internet speed, I pay $87 including taxes per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
132 posts, read 209,710 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Time Warner threatened to impose bandwidth caps on most of its markets back in 2009, but abandoned those plans without explanation. (In retrospect, it might have been because of Congress threatening behind the scenes to start regulating network neutrality.) There's a local thread discussing it here.

I also stream a lot of content on Time Warner and have not had a problem with limits or threatened limits.

The two largest San Antonio ISPs, AT&T and Time Warner, are both participants in the Six Strikes initiative that the ISP industry is rolling out later this year, so if you do P2P downloads, you might have a problem retaining service.
I heard about that too. I think they actually started monitoring people back on July 1st. So if you're doing P2P stuff or anything like it, you might wanna stop.

AT&T already has a cap on their bandwidth. I got the letter when they started that said their internet connections were going to be capped at 150GB per month. They'll send an email at 50% and 90% of usage. Anything over the cap and they charge you $10 per gigabyte. Uverse customers, since you guys are basically using the internet to get your programming, get about 250 to 300 (not sure since I don't have it).

There really aren't any alternatives in this city, which stinks. I'd change in a heartbeat if I could find someone who gives me at least 3GB more than what I have now and not charge me through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM
 
Location: san antonio
332 posts, read 530,149 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Time Warner threatened to impose bandwidth caps on most of its markets back in 2009, but abandoned those plans without explanation. (In retrospect, it might have been because of Congress threatening behind the scenes to start regulating network neutrality.) There's a local thread discussing it here.

I also stream a lot of content on Time Warner and have not had a problem with limits or threatened limits.

The two largest San Antonio ISPs, AT&T and Time Warner, are both participants in the Six Strikes initiative that the ISP industry is rolling out later this year, so if you do P2P downloads, you might have a problem retaining service.
the biggest reason people are caught is uploading. if you drive-by download, theres a very small chance you will get caught. also utilize private torrent trackers, like the once-beloved demonoid website. there are other private trackers.. but they are extremely hard to find and even harder to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM
 
164 posts, read 330,337 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I pay $57 a month for TWC Turbo internet. It seems to go up $5 every year. We also pay $8/month for Netflix, which we use on 3 computers and one TV, so that's a great deal.

My data usage is pretty heavy...last month it was 164 gigs...that's some of why I don't complain about the fact that I seem to be paying more for internet than most local TWC customers.



How can you tell how much you have used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
 
Location: san antonio
332 posts, read 530,149 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
How can you tell how much you have used?
programs, like DUmeter, will give you monthly totals and send you email/computer alerts when you go near your cap (that you specify).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
Reputation: 28036
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
How can you tell how much you have used?
Go to the TWC website, click on "My services with PayXpress", log in, click on "My Internet" and the first section there is a usage tracker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM
 
Location: san antonio
332 posts, read 530,149 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Go to the TWC website, click on "My services with PayXpress", log in, click on "My Internet" and the first section there is a usage tracker.
thats the first thing i would NOT do.

are you really going to believe time warner? its in their best interest to misrepresent your actual usage. an independent piece of software, like DUmeter (i dont work for htem), is what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
Reputation: 28036
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
thats the first thing i would NOT do.

are you really going to believe time warner? its in their best interest to misrepresent your actual usage. an independent piece of software, like DUmeter (i dont work for htem), is what you want.
I'm not paying based on bandwith. I'm just looking at it as a curiosity, so it's not worth paying for a program to monitor it. But with 3 computers, a blu ray player and PS3 all hooked up to the internet, I'm not that surprised at our usage. It will be a little lower when the kids go back to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top