Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,873,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeTopaz View Post
Just to be clear: I certainly was not saying that the entire east/west sides are the same thing as Wheatley Courts.
I noticed the same detail but decided it was best not to risk a debate over a trivial item. Many parts of the East Side have been in transition with many immigrants moving in. The traditional East Siders are moving out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM

332 posts, read 529,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Most people don't report crime in these higher crime areas because they are scared. They are afraid of retaliation, which is very real and often very likely. I'm not saying I agree with it - in fact I wouldn't hesitate to report a crime in my neighborhood and I've had it out a few times with people I've witnessed committing crimes. But I always wondered in the back of my mind what would be the consequence? Living in the hood is no joke - its hella stressful. You do worry about these kinds of things - wondering if you made the right decision calling someone out because "what if" they decide to come back on you? Its not as easy as some might think....
having grown up in a 'ghetto' during what i label as the transition years of my life (worse neighborhoods than SA has to offer thats for sure), its fairly easy to stay anonymous. it does require a small amount of finesse to keep up with the facade, but no more than you would usually put into any project you didnt want anyone to know about.

of course, we kept to ourselves and our grandmother was staying with us at the time. if there is one thing you can count on, its that most of the younger gangbangers have SOME respect for their elders and in my case, they never messed with her (or us).

Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Access to jobs is important but it isn't as simple as here is a job at McDonald's vs here is a gang. It has to involve better schooling combined with parental involvement which means the parent cannot be working double shifts at a reataurant or cleaning your house then someone elses. Parents have to be involved at home too.
Good news for Wheatley Courts. They are doing more than I could ask for.

Quote:
The San Antonio Housing Authority plans to raze Wheatley Courts, one of its oldest and most problematic properties, and redevelop the East Side neighborhood with mixed-income apartments.

The money, from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, is part of a new Obama administration initiative that takes a broad approach to improving impoverished areas by linking the funds to requirements for better schools, public transit and access to jobs.
The days now are numbered for troubled Wheatley Courts - San Antonio Express-News

Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM

More good news.

Quote:
In about 18 months, the housing authority will demolish the infamous Wheatley Courts and replace the housing project with a mixed-income apartments. An area renowned for its poverty and violence, Wheatley will become something vastly different.
E. Side plan attracts D.C. guests - San Antonio Express-News

Little by little it is about caring about all of San Antonio not just your side of town or enclave. Things will change in this city overall.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,051 times
I applaud the effort I just don't know who would move into the new apartments? The Hemisphere View was successful in part due to its great locations. The Wheatly Courts location will be a hard sell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio