Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaircedarbank View Post
Well, then I think that is a very sad reflection of expectation on students in San Antonio. From what I read in the paper, the real problem is the kids are not even motivated to attend or graduate high school. I believe the drop-out rate was just talked about. We would probably have to start another thread on education, though. Throwing more money at people is not always going to translate to success- or even their desire for it, sadly.
You're right--it is a sad reflection. But it's not a problem that is unique to San Antonio. Many other major cities with "underprivileged" areas suffer the same problems (high dropout rate, high teen pregancy rate, high drug use rate, ad nauseum). Yes, money is not always the answer. However, money has power, and that power can change the political landscape and the educational methodologies used to get our kids to where they need to be.

Unfortunately, the problem will never be 100% solved. But, that should not stop those of us who have the ability to work towards solving it.

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM

77 posts, read 140,307 times
Quote:
Well, then I think that is a very sad reflection of expectation on students in San Antonio. From what I read in the paper, the real problem is the kids are not even motivated to attend or graduate high school. I believe the drop-out rate was just talked about. We would probably have to start another thread on education, though. Throwing more money at people is not always going to translate to success- or even their desire for it, sadly.
Yes, it's just San Antonio with these educational issues. Right.

Did you know that of the largest school district in each of the five largest Texas metro areas (including Fort Worth) that San Antonio's largest school district (NISD) has the best graduation rate. That's a fact.

Did you know that Houston and Dallas both have worse drop out rates than San Antonio. Other cities/metro areas too.

But yeah, it's just a San Antonio problem.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM

106 posts, read 152,946 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Dim, I appreciate your comments and viewpoint- you're so right about other cities having some of the same problems. It's nice to discuss/debate without being rude.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-22-2012 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: orphaned - post referred to has been removed - report problem posts instead of responding to them

Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
Blair,

I don't believe in rude debate. As an adult, I have learned that nothing good comes from such behavior. Add the Internet to the mix and it's an exercise in futility.

--Dim

Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenelements View Post
Did you know that of the largest school district in each of the five largest Texas metro areas (including Fort Worth) that San Antonio's largest school district (NISD) has the best graduation rate. That's a fact.

Did you know that Houston and Dallas both have worse drop out rates than San Antonio. Other cities/metro areas too.

But yeah, it's just a San Antonio problem.
It only has a higher grad rate because it siphons off San Antonio's wealthy suburban areas and places them into one district. Of course you are going to have a higher grad rate in a wealthy district. If you look at SAISD , you get a totally different picture. If all of the major Texas cities did that, we would get more or less the same result as NISD.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
It only has a higher grad rate because it siphons off San Antonio's wealthy suburban areas and places them into one district. Of course you are going to have a higher grad rate in a wealthy district. If you look at SAISD , you get a totally different picture. If all of the major Texas cities did that, we would get more or less the same result as NISD.

Please pull up a map of NISD and then think about it again. NISD is 68% Hispanic and 52% of NISD kids qualify for a free or reduced lunch. BTW NEISD would be the district that is primarily in the "nice" areas of San Antonio.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 AM

106 posts, read 152,946 times
What exactly is the problem then, because I refuse to believe it's a lack of financing. My property taxes are 3x what I paid in another state. Actually, what I pay to NISD ALONE is what my entire bill was in Indiana. Is NEISD that much better?

Our girls tried NISD for one month and we pulled them out to go to private school. They were too far ahead of the other kids and there seemed to be nothing much to accommodate them. The counselor told us that it's common for the military kids moving in to be ahead and withdraw for private schools. We had no problems in Indiana, Colorado, Washington with public education.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
What exactly is the problem then, because I refuse to believe it's a lack of financing. My property taxes are 3x what I paid in another state. Actually, what I pay to NISD ALONE is what my entire bill was in Indiana. Is NEISD that much better?

Our girls tried NISD for one month and we pulled them out to go to private school. They were too far ahead of the other kids and there seemed to be nothing much to accommodate them. The counselor told us that it's common for the military kids moving in to be ahead and withdraw for private schools. We had no problems in Indiana, Colorado, Washington with public education.
Texas has no state income tax.

IN has a state income tax.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Texas has no state income tax.

IN has a state income tax.
Something people blindly attempting to bash Texas and San Antonio continuously fail to notice!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
The counselor told us that it's common for the military kids moving in to be ahead and withdraw for private schools.
Sorry, but that's the biggest load of bull I have ever heard. I've got over ten years in SA both in uniform and working with military personnel, and it's rare to find any that send their kids to private schools.

As a matter of fact, the school districts here get additional Federal funding due to the number of students whose parents are employed on the military bases in the area (both active duty, civilians and contractors). Surveys are sent out every school year to verify that information.

It sounds like someone is feeding you a line. Of course, if that "counselor" works for a private school, that is to be expected...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio