Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM

258 posts, read 323,880 times

Advertisements

San Antonio: A City Getting Smarter, Working to Shed Old Image | The Rivard Report

From the article here are some highlights:

Quote:
A preliminary report by James Russell, a Virginia-based geographer who studies talent migration and economic development, shows San Antonio’s college-educated population grew by 48% from 2000 to 2010, according to census data, making it sixth best of the nation’s top 51 metro areas in a Brain Gain ranking.

San Antonio as a city for a long time has had self-esteem issues, and I’m very excited to put that argument to rest and stop comparing ourselves to Austin, which is easy to do. I find it very refreshing that we can stand shoulder to shoulder with Austin…and the overall point of having Brain Gain.
Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-21-2012 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted article - post snippet only (2-3 sentences) w/link per TOS. Also, you need to put quotes on the info quoted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
San Antonio’s college-educated population grew by 48% from 2000 to 2010, according to census data, making it sixth best of the nation’s top 51 metro areas in a Brain Gain ranking.

San Antonio as a city for a long time has had self-esteem issues, and I’m very excited to put that argument to rest and stop comparing ourselves to Austin, which is easy to do.
These are not laurels to rest upon, however.

The bad news is at the end of the article. Since we've already quoted the maximum allowable number of sentences from the copyrighted article, I'll make a table.

US MSAs w/population over 1 million people, number of adults 25 and older w/Bachelor's degree or higher

Metro. | rank | %
Austin | 6th. | 39%
Dallas | 24th | 31%
Houston| 35th | 28%
SA-NB* | 48th | 25.4%

*San Antonio - New Braunfels

Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM

258 posts, read 323,880 times
Yes agreed...But a step in the right direction. We do have much work ahead. Let's focus on the small steps and moving the right direction.

As this article states: San Antonio: A City Getting Smarter...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: merged 2 consecutive posts by same OP

Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
35% would disagree with you

Report: San Antonio school dropout rate at 35% | News - Home

It seems more who graduate must be going to college then

Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 AM

16 posts, read 28,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
...But a step in the right direction. We do have much work ahead. Let's focus on the small steps and moving the right direction...

The original article addresses an overall increase in San Antonio's college-educated population so I thought this article was appropriate for the general discussion. The positive trend in higher educational aspirations is a win-win for everyone.

Hispanics' college enrollment surges, report finds - San Antonio Express-News

mySA.com
Staff & wire Reports
08/21/12

Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I see this as being positive news, and hope this trend continues. I do think the population is getting smarter, hopefully as a result of more educational opportunities being presented to the younger generations. People complain about gangs and tagging, but those activities are the direct result of individuals who have few other options. An investment in education is a wise one, and one that should continue throughout a person's life. I've met few individuals who regretted getting college degrees...

If there is one aspect of our property taxes that I don't complain about, it is education. This city/state/country spends too much money reactive to a person's situation instead of proactively seeking a way to avoid that person ever getting to that point in their lives. I would much rather my tax money be spent on schools and other institutions of knowledge than giving handouts to people too lazy to work for a living...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-22-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM

106 posts, read 153,051 times
major, you have GOT to be kidding me: individuals have so few options that they have to join gangs and tag up the whole city?? I am shocked at this. I think there are a few on here who cannot handle even the slightest view of folks who don't find SA to be perfect. Maybe they have never lived anywhere else to compare it to or maybe they are in denial and just blinded by their love for the city. I get that; I really do. My hometown, Carmel, Indiana, just got named "Best Small City" by Money Magazine, and while I'm really proud of that, there are people who would say they did not enjoy living there, or who cares? You can't just bash and cut down other opinions... rather use them as insight to make SA better. We could retire here if we wanted to, but can't take the weather and littering are just too much for us. Somebody else might love the weather and be used to seeing litter, I don't know. You can get on any city's forum and find all different views, but that doesn't mean you need to run others off. I contribute to the local economy and respect that I'm a temporary resident, so I will find the good.

Last edited by blaircedarbank; 08-22-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM

108 posts, read 241,511 times
Maybe we are doing better from the educational part of it but everything else is questionable.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
blair,

I see no negativity in Major's post. To some extent, he is right: There are those who (very unfortunately) are not given opportunities to achieve anything beyond a life that one could consider criminal or nearly-so. Yes, some taggers do so because of boredom, lack of parental influence, or to "look cool". However, there are a lot of kids in poorer sections of town who struggle just to get to school (when/if they go).

I know of a school in SAISD where kids have to use mass transit (VIA) to get to/from every day. Many of them come from homes where mom and/or dad is or was in prison, others come from foster homes (parental rights taken away by CPS), still others come from homes where drug sale/use is an everyday occurance. My point is, there are environments that are so oppressive and inhospitable to educational success that the kids are practically doomed from the start.

Putting monetary resources in the right areas (education, for one) can help turn the tide. We can give these kids a chance to move beyond the lives they know and achieve the lives they want. Ultimately, the decision is up to each child, but with the right tools and levels of encouragement, who knows? Maybe we'll get to be one of the "smartest" cities in the nation one day.

--Dim

Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 PM

106 posts, read 153,051 times
Well, then I think that is a very sad reflection of expectation on students in San Antonio. From what I read in the paper, the real problem is the kids are not even motivated to attend or graduate high school. I believe the drop-out rate was just talked about. We would probably have to start another thread on education, though. Throwing more money at people is not always going to translate to success- or even their desire for it, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio