Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I really hope your wrong. It is not music. It is attitude. My Parents didn't like the music I was listening to either. I was listening to Beatles, Stones, Led zep, Deep Purple. I was right but they weren't wrong. I like listening to the stuff they liked. Do you think some day I will like the stuff you are listening too? Do you care?
Wrong about which part? And those bands got played on the radio, they're still played on the radio.
And are you asking me if one day you will like bands like Motion City Soundtrack, Blink 182, The Used, Emery, I See Stars, and Bayside? I don't know, will you? I don't understand what you are asking me here

Do my parents like it? Some of it. Do I expect you to know who those bands are? No because they're not on the radio =MY POINT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM

604 posts, read 1,871,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
Wrong about which part? And those bands got played on the radio, they're still played on the radio.
And are you asking me if one day you will like bands like Motion City Soundtrack, Blink 182, The Used, Emery, I See Stars, and Bayside? I don't know, will you? I don't understand what you are asking me here

Do my parents like it? Some of it. Do I expect you to know who those bands are? No because they're not on the radio =MY POINT
sorry Blink 182 was on the radio I shouldn't have included that one

Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
sorry Blink 182 was on the radio I shouldn't have included that one
I really tried to keep up. I liked Nirvana. I liked Pearl Jam a little but had trouble telling the two apart. I know, my parents used to tell me the same thing. I alway's hated best of albums but I can listen to the Pearl Jam one. I can tell the difference now. I wish I could eagerly await the next Smashing Pumpkins record or Blink 182 or Green Day but their music just doesn't interest me. I alway's graded the quality of a band by the slow songs not the rockers. Anybody can jump up and down and smash the drums. I only hear the new bands when some kid pulls up next to me at a traffic light. I live about 100 yards back from the main road but I can alway's hear the bass of some kids automobile. I remember when I first discovered bass. I liked it back then too. Maybe the playlist needs improvement. The most radical band in my day was Blue Cheer. They had a hit with an old 50's song. We thought they were crazy nuts on drugs but we loved to play that record. I wish somebody would play it on the radio but they never will. You should find it.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
I enjoy listening to KISS, but then again I am only in San Antonio 2 weeks a year, so its fun to hear the songs I grew up with. They don't play Ozzy or Iron Maiden here on the radio in San Diego, but every year when I'm am in SA around thanksgiving, I get my fill or Ozzy and Iron Maiden and all those other old timer hard rock acts. .

Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM

146 posts, read 246,835 times
I think it's also a reflection about the state of rock music today. In the 80s and 90s there was actual new rock, so KZEP could play 70's classic rock. But now, both stations are pulling out "oldies" like Stone Temple Pilots and Bush, and mixing it with other stuff.

To me, the Metallica, Black Sabbath, AC/DC listener is different from the STP, Pearl Jam listener. I think KISS is leaning to the second group, but they still throw in other tracks to appeal to the old school.

But bottom line, hip hop rules the Top 40, and Rock radio is still looking for a new identity.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Pop music dominates Top 40. Hip hop hasn't dominated the charts in years.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM

443 posts, read 954,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeTopaz View Post
KISS earned its fame by playing stuff that no one else did at the time. First with KMAC, then KISS, the legendary Joe Anthony ("The Godfather") and Lou Roney were very daring in breaking out from standard pop radio, "introducing" all sorts of bands to San Antonio that you couldn't hear on any other station - Budgie, the Runaways, Triumph, Moxy, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Rush, the Scorpions, and on and on - even the Sex Pistols. Then they would bring these bands to San Antonio to do concerts at places like Randy's Rodeo.

I hate corporate radio - it has just about destroyed innovation on the airwaves.
Bingo, it was innovation. If I recall correctly, KMAC was rock from noon to 6pm, and then KISS went to a rock format until midnight. They grew because they were innovative and people were being introduced to new music. Triumph even had a special thank you to Joe and Lou on the back of their album, as did a couple of other bands. This town became a pocket of appreciation which allowed many bands to get a foothold in the US.

What this town needs are enthusiastic DJs who are in love with music and can convey that excitement. I say that because a lot of the listeners are stuck in a rut here (a 70s rut). There are a lot of good, new bands out there that don't get any airplay here. Corporate music is just insipid, but people aren't always willing to give something new a listen, they seem to want the same, recognizable, accessible music. It takes some people a long time to figure out a learned taste is much more satisfying and appreciated.

And for those saying we need an alternative station, they tried that in the 80s. An FM station on the lower band went on a 24 hour, commercial free format for two weeks to get the station going. Unfortunately for them, it was when KSYM was at their peak and they responded by also going 24 hour, with an uncensored show after 3am. There was quite a rivalry between them and KSYM had a much better selection and at the time, the DJs were stellar. Needless to say, shortly after our first and only alternative rock station changed formats.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
I was just talking about this the other day. When I was a lad back in the 90's we would all listen to KISS. Days of the New, the Offspring, Green Day, Metallica, Nirvana, Bush, Foo Fighters. We could always hear our favorite songs.

It is strange to me but now, 20 years later, they still play the same songs! But that's okay, I like those songs. Every time I am listening and they say "And now, new rock from..." I just put it back on NPR or start streaming something on my phone. If I wanted to listen to new garbage rock I'd put it on and not listen to Kiss. If I want to listen to Touch, Peel and Stand or Epic I know where I can get it.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
All I can say is, thank goodness for my phone and that little cord that allows me to play songs off of it through my car stereo. My phone is awful as a "smartphone" but it is a great way to carry around my music!

Every time I hear KISS (and that's only after my wife has been driving before me, because she LIKES radio, but she's kind of a "stuck in the late 80s/early 90s person) I feel like I've been time warped back into my high school years. I'm all for nostalgia but enough is enough.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
The old music on KISS wouldn't be so bad if there was more variety in what they played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio