Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
I'd definitely like this! We'd be the only place in the USA with bullet trains, aka "shinkansen." When I lived in Japan, I rode on the JR company's trains all the time, and they're fantastic. This would of course have to be well-integrated with the public transit in each of the major cities for it to work. Houston's building out their rail a good bit, and Dallas has a decent rail network already. Austin's got one line and 2 planned, and San Antonio now has a couple planned, so who knows... Maybe it'll happen in the next 10 years! Maybe by then the Astros won't suck so badly, and I can take a bullet train to go watch some baseball over the weekend!
I agree high speed rail between SA and Austin and other cities is an idea whose time has come. But I don't think the airlines would be too happy about it and they would probably lobby vehemently against it. Still though, I can see it happening within 10 to 15 years. And, in 10 to 15 years San Antonio will most likely have it's own MLB team so you wouldn't have to go to Houston to see the Astros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I was under the impression that Amtrak's Acela actually makes money?
I don't believe there's ever been a time where Amtrak as a company has ever been in the black. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Regardless, the Austin to SA train will never happen. Thea no benefit to it for either city.

Here's a good article on Amtrak.

http://www.statesman.com/business/pe...k-2377586.html

Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I don't believe there's ever been a time where Amtrak as a company has ever been in the black. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Regardless, the Austin to SA train will never happen. Thea no benefit to it for either city.

Here's a good article on Amtrak.

Amtrak's 40-year train wreck
As a company, no. But the Northeast Corridor by itself is ALMOST a moneymaker and the Acela service by itself IS a moneymaker. I believe those are the numbers, but I could be wrong.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,715 times
They've been talking about this since I was a boy, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
With the cities as decentralized as they are HS rail is nothing but a fantasy....
In the amount of time it would take me to use VIA to reach the local station I could drive to Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I agree high speed rail between SA and Austin and other cities is an idea whose time has come. But I don't think the airlines would be too happy about it and they would probably lobby vehemently against it. Still though, I can see it happening within 10 to 15 years. And, in 10 to 15 years San Antonio will most likely have it's own MLB team so you wouldn't have to go to Houston to see the Astros.
Are there really that many people who fly just to Austin? Doubt it.

Unless there is some incentive for folks to use it (cheaper than driving, primarily) people won't use it.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
The best part of having a bullet train is while you are going to your destination, you can do the following:

-Take a nap
-Read a book
-Check your email or phone messages
-Eat breakfast or a snack

You are not tied up with your hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road. I would take a train over driving any day. These were some of the things i was able to do while I rode the shinkansen in Japan.

Of course, to get a bullet train here is many years away. People just value their big trucks too much here to give that up.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
When I took trains to some major cities, they had a secondary mass transit web - the Underground, buses, etc.

I take the train to Austin and then want to get to the Arboretum area - how do I do that? A terrible time multiplier given the state of bus mass transit in either city.

I took the train from DC to NYC - then there was the subways in both.

It's not the truck (which of course is a symbol here, similar to richy - richy Lexus and Mercedes) but the lack of options after the train.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
A bullet train is just not economically feasible between San Antonio and Austin. The operating cost would exceed the money generated by the passengers, not to mention the cost of building the thing. What private company would invest the hundreds of millions of dollars for such a small return?
Once you get to the Austin or San Antonio train terminal....then what do you do? Get a cab?
I can see some people using it if the train stopped close to 6th street. Go up there and party....come back home on the train.

This is not Japan or New York City, and yes we do love our trucks, but this idea just won't work here. I can get to Austin in about an hour....not that big a deal.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:31 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
Exactly, when we go to Austin - we might go to Barton Creek to shop, then the flagship Whole Foods and then look for a nice restaurant that is a few miles away. Don't want to be waiting for the bus in our weather. Now if I have a personal Osprey, I'll take the plane and scare everyone.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
The best part of having a bullet train is while you are going to your destination, you can do the following:

-Take a nap
-Read a book
-Check your email or phone messages
-Eat breakfast or a snack

You are not tied up with your hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road. I would take a train over driving any day. These were some of the things i was able to do while I rode the shinkansen in Japan.

Of course, to get a bullet train here is many years away. People just value their big trucks too much here to give that up.
Exactly! When I lived in Tokyo, we would take Toukaidou Shinkansen to Toyohashi to visit my great aunt all the time. Japan is just so many light years ahead of the world when it comes to transportation. When I was there, I took Senkai Bunka (World Cultures) and a girl did a project about the state of transportation in the US. The rest of my classmates were amazed about how it worked in the US. Not in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio