Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

There's a vine growing on my back fence that seems to be making lots of tiny grapes. I've never seen wild grapes here before. I took a picture...are these grapes? There was one that was black, I picked it and it smelled very pungent and had one gray seed with purple spots inside.

I'm not going to eat them, it would just be neat to know if they were grapes.
Attached Thumbnails
Wild Grapes in the backyard?-maybe-wild-grapes.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 PM

330 posts, read 587,431 times
Does it get purple flowers in spring? I think it's a type of morning glory vine. We have one that looks very similar to that one. Bees love it, which stinks because it's on my front gate.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:14 PM

I haven't seen purple flowers on this one. I have seen vines around here with the purple flowers, I think that's bindweed. I was hoping this one was going to grow some flowers and that the green things were buds, but they're some sort of little fruit. I should have taken a picture of the black fruit before I squished it.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
I have this vine also which comes from my neighbors yard and I hate it. It is really invasive. No clue what it is but I can ask my neighbor what it is.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Does it by chance put on berries that looks like this?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM

26 posts, read 67,452 times
Can't tell for sure but that looks like a weedy vine that grows in my backyard. Crush the leaf, if it stinks, it's likely a weed, and a rapidly growing one if that.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
The pic I posted are the "grapes" from poison ivy which is what it looks like to me. It could be muscadine grapes but they generally don't grow here. They are common in East Texas but they require a lot of water and humidity which we don't have. Here's muscadine grapes:

We do have a grape that grows around here called Mustang Grapes. The leaves are different from the posted pic though. Mustang Grapes will burn your lips when they turn dark. You have to wait until the grapes start to look like they are drying up with the skin shriveled a little. Then the acid is gone and they don't burn. Makes fabulous wine. The juice mixed with apple juice makes the best jelly ya ever had. They generally grow south of here in softer soil like the sand country. Here's a pic:

Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM

It's not poison ivy, that I'm sure of.

The little black grape that I squished and smelled last night was very juicy and had a sharp smell to it. The leaf is thick and a little rubbery-feeling.

My neighbor waters his backyard a lot (so much during the night that it's still seeping through the retaining wall by noon) and it goes into my yard too...I haven't tried to plant a garden because I figured I would use more water than it was worth to keep it watered, but maybe I'll plant one in the part of the yard that my neighbor waters for me

Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
I'm thinking it might be Cow-Itch Vine or Ivy Treebine, Cissus incisa. It has tiny clusters of yellow-green flowers and the berries turn dark blue to black when ripe. Wildlife eat the berries sometimes.
Texas Native Plants Database

Old 09-21-2014, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,188 times
The rubbery leaves make me think it may be the poisonous moonseed... which I found on-line, just tonite, while trying to find out what a grapevine near me might be. The one near me sounds like what you described.
Most grapes do NOT have rubbery leaves. (I've grown grapes before, and eaten wild muscadines.)
The tiny grape clusters on "mine" are now bright red, and they are not perfectly round, but slightly flatted-out spheres... almost perfectly round until you look very closely. After it matures, I will cut one open and see if the seeds are moon-shaped (more like a pie with a piece cut out).
In any case, though... rubbery leaves... very worrisome.
I am so disappointed to find out "mine" are poisonous... oh, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio