Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippertn View Post
Last minute hiring exists, but they are insignificant when compared to the thousand of applicant waiting to get a call for an interview.(
It may be a small number of spots out of the many, but it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 11,058 times
From the thousands of job that we saw, the same that come up often are bilingual,ESL and Special Ed.
Most of the jobs are in the elementary, and there is an NCLB requirement that even if you have a 4-8 certification, you cannot teach in elementary schools unless you have a generalist certificate.

So now, my wife is working on her generalist EC-6, and later on she will take Math 8-12, Bilingual supplemental and Special Ed supplemental.

We are hopping that by increasing the number of credentials, she would have better chances to get hired the next year.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:02 AM

502 posts, read 934,366 times
Currently at Northiside it is extremely tough to get a job pre-k to 6 grades. Fresh off the stage you won't get hired unless you know someone that can you in. High school is where it is at! For some reason nobody wants to teach those grade levels. And when you do get hired you may not even be full time! All I can say is just keep at it and try and make a friend within the district! When I started I got my foot in the door working part time with the after school program, made friends in the right places, and moved all the way up the chain!

Old 09-03-2012, 01:28 PM
SA5

60 posts, read 136,068 times
As an elementary school principal I can tell you it's tough, but not quite as bad as it was last year. I do suggest to zippertn that your wife make contacts through subbing or volunteering to have her stand out from among the hundreds of faceless applicants we see. I had a special Ed job open for this year and had 153 applicants. It's impossible to read through every application and resume in that case.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:46 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
Wife is subbing in NISD this year. Her first year, as son is just starting Kinder. Will she get a decent amount of work?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 PM

7 posts, read 11,058 times
My wife has an auxilary position at NISD, and they told her that she need to diversify her certifications if she want to get a chance of being hired someday.

As for subing, it will all depend on how things go, many teachers are no longer planning to retire, and those who are in probation tend to take less sick leave. The trick is to try to win the confidence of the principal and the teachers in the school in order to be recommended, and consequently called often to cover for absent teachers.

High school teaching positions are less available than before, the budget restriction and the economy have forced many teacher to hold to their job, creating a backlog of job seeker outside.

The most affected are those student who just have graduated from the university, and are hopping for a job, with no experience and no network, they find themselves in the bottom of the applicant pool.

I had the chance to speak with a career center director, and she told me that there is jobs, but they are on the rural district, and that was true. Districts like Uvalde, Medina and Hondo have job opening with less requirements, but they are having trouble filling them.

Many things have changed from the times they have a senior college student teach before he/she graduate !!!

Last edited by zippertn; 09-04-2012 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio