Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times

Advertisements

Not to shabby...

San Antonio ranks high on new economic strength index - San Antonio Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Nice! Hope we can keep it up!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
That's positive news, I don't know why some people can't accept that this city is much stronger economically than most of the country. Numbers don't lie...

Quote:
The Alamo City had a 5-year private-sector growth rate of 3.62 percent, an unemployment rate of 7.3 percent, earnings per worker of $777.60 and a 5-year house appreciation of 2.25 percent.
While some may say that's not overly impressive, considering the national economic situation over the past five years; I would disagree!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
You will always have good economic numbers in a service related city with a large unskilled workforce. Looking at the list, thats the case for most of those cities. But jobs are jobs

Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM

26 posts, read 67,472 times
I think we all realize that San Antonio has done relatively well compared to how other cities have faired during the economic downturn. It is, however, interesting to find out how well.

To me, I expected that we would not be doing as well considering that our economy depends on tourism for a fair amount of our economic health but perhaps we benefited from people who have "scaled down" their vacations. From staycations, all the way up to people who have traded European vacations for destinations in the US, perhaps many dollars that San Antonio normally would have lost were replaced with other dollars we normally may not have seen.

In any case, San Antonio needs to use this news to help market our city's economic strength to companies that can bring higher paying jobs to San Antonio in an effort to further diversify our market and further insulate ourselves against sustained depressions in the overall economy.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:22 PM

448 posts, read 919,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousHOP View Post
I think we all realize that San Antonio has done relatively well compared to how other cities have faired during the economic downturn. It is, however, interesting to find out how well.

To me, I expected that we would not be doing as well considering that our economy depends on tourism for a fair amount of our economic health but perhaps we benefited from people who have "scaled down" their vacations. From staycations, all the way up to people who have traded European vacations for destinations in the US, perhaps many dollars that San Antonio normally would have lost were replaced with other dollars we normally may not have seen.

In any case, San Antonio needs to use this news to help market our city's economic strength to companies that can bring higher paying jobs to San Antonio in an effort to further diversify our market and further insulate ourselves against sustained depressions in the overall economy.
I believe tourism is our third largest industry. First, is Bio/medical.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 PM

This is a bit dated (Feb 2005, I believe), but it's from the parent website of this forum...

Quote:
The service sector is the largest and fastest growing sector of the economy, largely because of increased demand for health care and business services, and San Antonio's sound tourism industry. Medical and biomedical industries now account for the largest part of the city's economy, contributing approximately $11.9 billion to the area in 2003. San Antonio's highly regarded medical industry includes the 900-acre South Texas Medical Center, which employs approximately 25,000 people. Medical industry employees account for 14 percent of all employees in the San Antonio. In a 2003 survey by the Tourism Division of Texas, 5 of the top 10 tourist draws in the state were in San Antonio, with the Alamo and the River Walk in the number one and two spots, respectively. The attractions of the Alamo City, as San Antonio is known, appeal to tourists from across the country. Approximately 8 million people visit San Antonio per year, and the tourism industry has an estimated $4 billion impact on the city's economy.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 PM

77 posts, read 140,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
You will always have good economic numbers in a service related city with a large unskilled workforce. Looking at the list, thats the case for most of those cities. But jobs are jobs
Where's Orlando on that list? Where's Las Vegas on that list? They fit your description to a T yet I don't see them in the top 10. Are they even in the top 20? Doubt it.

And none of the 11 listed even fit your description but you seem to be employing the republican party strategy, spin anything positive into something negative in whatever way you can.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 PM

77 posts, read 140,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
This is a bit dated (Feb 2005, I believe), but it's from the parent website of this forum...
From 2005 using 2003 numbers. Dated would be an understatement.

I believe the medical industry now has a nearly 30 billion dollar impact on the economy. Followed by the financial sector. To put those dated numbers into comparison, the cyber defense sector has a $10 Billion dollar economic impact.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenelements View Post
From 2005 using 2003 numbers. Dated would be an understatement.

I believe the medical industry now has a nearly 30 billion dollar impact on the economy. Followed by the financial sector. To put those dated numbers into comparison, the cyber defense sector has a $10 Billion dollar economic impact.
A little more current...

San Antonio industry focus has grown beyond the "Big Three"

...and equally positive. I for one have always firmly believed this city has weathered the recent economic downturn better than most in the country. Similar data to support this can be found here:

City of San Antonio Economic Development Department

Or here...

San Antonio Chamber of Commerce Economic Reports

The proof is out there, but some will still claim it's not true.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio