Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM

154 posts, read 630,969 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed coyotes being very vocal lately? We live off UTSA Blvd on the NW side, almost directly across from UTSA. There's a tract of vacant land behind our subdivison along Leon creek.

I'm out on my back porch every evening for months, and have never heard the coyotes til the last week or so. They have been howling and yipping like crazy, every night! I'm curious - do they always do this in the fall?

Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,497 times
I'd be surprised if they were coyotes.

When I was living in Washington State they definitely went out of their way to avoid human contact.

Maybe they're different down here in Texas?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
A friend of ours lives in Shavano Park and he also said that there has been a lot of sightings/issues with them lately...so I believe that you certainly live close enough that you are correct. He said his neighbors cat disappeared a few weeks ago...maybe all the growth and development has something to do with it in that area.

He claims they have had coyote "encounters" since they moved to Shavano in 80's that continue to date...funny he also backs up to a creek area, but I do not know which one. Maybe they are looking for water???

Old 10-08-2007, 06:28 AM

370 posts, read 882,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
Has anyone else noticed coyotes being very vocal lately? We live off UTSA Blvd on the NW side, almost directly across from UTSA. There's a tract of vacant land behind our subdivison along Leon creek.

I'm out on my back porch every evening for months, and have never heard the coyotes til the last week or so. They have been howling and yipping like crazy, every night! I'm curious - do they always do this in the fall?
Hello,
When I had occasion to be in the area there was a cougar sighting, then a few days later, (not sure what happened but, heard the cougar was 're-located') I heard lots of yipping in the early morning. I figured that the coyotes might have been darn happy to not have the mountain lion competition or preditor after them.

In Illinois I've had encounters near coyotes when I was solo running through the woods, (five of them but, only a pair once and then three solos). I never worried because Coyotes aren't interested in people.

However when I saw another one chase a deer for all it was worth I never really saw them so innocently again!

Gen

Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 AM

112 posts, read 366,027 times
I live on the northside and I hear them all the time now. Very loud yipping. It really scares my dog.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 AM

154 posts, read 630,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I'd be surprised if they were coyotes.

When I was living in Washington State they definitely went out of their way to avoid human contact.

Maybe they're different down here in Texas?
No they are definitely coyotes, not dogs. I know coyote calls when I hear them.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Yup , there are coyotes out there. What is surprising to me though is the gators that have
been found in public parks a couple of times lately. Were they abandoned pets or strays?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
do a search on this board for coyote topics. There have been several in recent months.

With all the dry creek beds and "green belts" in San Antonio and Bexar county, we have provided the wildlife little freeways into the neighborhoods. Not sure anything can be done about it other than protect your pets and property. One thing that is happening is that they are less and less afraid of humans because of our co-existing. Generally they are more active at dusk and dawn....but some are actually being sighted in the middle of the day in fairly busy parks and recreational areas.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
What is surprising to me though is the gators that have
been found in public parks a couple of times lately. Were they abandoned pets or strays?
Strays that made their way here from East Texas is the explanation that the Animal Control folks have used in the past.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post

They're only active in SA (not in Windcrest) per media "hysteria".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio