Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:34 PM

501 posts, read 949,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Yep, and more than once. I'm not a 20 year old looking to get away with drinking in public. The shop owners absolutely hate it, too.

Again, there's more to FF than college kids drinking. I go every month. I see people from all walks of life and ages at FF. From 15 to 70. It draws in everyone who's looking to have a good time whethet that's people looking to bar hop, hear music, visit art galleries, watch sidewalk performers, buy things, eat, etc.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Your daughter would enjoy Round Rock more than Boerne. I think for a liberal you'd also like that area, too. Boerne is very conservative.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM

62 posts, read 118,777 times
Boerne. Round Rock is so bloated, bland, and absorbed into Austin it has no identity of its own other than how I described it earlier in this sentence. It is also not at all liberal in comparison to Austin, though it certainly is more so than Boerne or SA.

I know this decision based on having gone to high school in Boerne and having had lived in the Austin area for the past 7 years. I ALWAYS enjoy the chance to go visit my folks at home in the relative calm and country of Boerne. Yes, San Antonio has grown perilously close since they moved there in the late 90's, but it's still very much its own entity that is a different breath (in many ways, including demographically and culturally) than the San Antonio MSA that it's part of.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:50 PM

413 posts, read 741,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
First Friday is nothing but thousands of college kids milling around aimlessly. Probably the biggest hoax going in this city besides all those stand in line for a $10 turkey leg "cultural festivals" at Hemisfaire Park.
Wow, what's an incorrect picture you are painting of San Antonio.

None of the First Friday kids milling around are enrolled in college, or perhaps they were until their second kid arrived, and the turkey legs are $9.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM

TexanTodd:

If you can afford Austin real estate prices, then absolutely go there. Once you move, it can be very hard to up and move again. I wish I had done more research because I would've never bought in San Antonio. Austin has more jobs, more culture, a real university, unfortunately more traffic, and while both places are rather conservative, Austin is definitely more Liberal-leaning.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:13 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
TexanTodd:

If you can afford Austin real estate prices, then absolutely go there. Once you move, it can be very hard to up and move again. I wish I had done more research because I would've never bought in San Antonio. Austin has more jobs, more culture, a real university, unfortunately more traffic, and while both places are rather conservative, Austin is definitely more Liberal-leaning.
Depends on the job field but San Antonio has a lot more people and a lot more jobs than Austin in total.

Please Explain

Pretty Correct

Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Depends on the job field but San Antonio has a lot more people and a lot more jobs than Austin in total.

Please Explain

Pretty Correct
Jobs:

Austin has more professional jobs, San Antonio has more blue collar and call center jobs. I would assume that someone moving from another city is not doing so for a call center job. I don't have numbers to prove this but based on my experience in my field, I believe it to be true.

More culture:

San Antonio has a rich Mexican culture. Austin has 50,000 college students from around the world, a wider variety of international markets, restaurants, and stores. Austin has 10x the number of festivals, from music festivals, cultural festivals like Brazilian and Greek, to poetry festivals.

University:

There is nothing to correct. I stand by my initial statement that UTSA is not a "real" university. It's the university you go to if you're scared to leave home or couldn't get in elsewhere. To even think to compare UTSA to UT-Austin or Texas A&M, let alone universities out of state, is comical.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Austin has 50,000 college students from around the world
The total enrollment for fall 2011 at UT was 51,112, of which only 9.1% were foreign (so just over 4650).

51.0% of the undergrads are White, another 17.6% Hispanic, and nearly 80% are from Texas (source)

I don't think there's as much "diversity" as you might think at UT Austin!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The total enrollment for fall 2011 at UT was 51,112, of which only 9.1% were foreign (so just over 4650).

51.0% of the undergrads are White, another 17.6% Hispanic, and nearly 80% are from Texas (source)

I don't think there's as much "diversity" as you might think at UT Austin!
How nice of you to leave out the UTSA numbers which prove my point. Here, I'll do it for you:

1830 international students out of 30,474 students. That's 6%, so UT-Austin is 50% more diverse. Also, 92% of students are from Texas at UTSA. That also leaves 2% of the UTSA population from the USA but outside of Texas, as opposed to 11% at UT-Austin, so not only is UT-Austin more diverse, and it has a greater number of foreign students, but it also far more popular with out-of-state students, which is a great measure of the value/reputation of the university.

UTSA Office of the Registrar - Fall 2011 vs Fall 2012 Census Day Report

Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
SA is far superior than Austin in just about everything you are looking for in a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio