Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times

Advertisements

I have two job opportunities and I am trying to decide between them. I have visited San Antonio several times, mostly doing the touristy things, but I am looking at settling down and setting roots and I would love some input from anybody out there.

A little about us. I am in my mid-late thirties and it will be me and my 14 year old daughter moving. She has been involved in cheerleading and soccer. I love artsy, creative things and people. I tend towards the liberal end of the political spectrum. I did look up and see that according to great schools' website Boerne appears to have some outstanding schools.

I appreciate any input, especially from anyone who may have lived in both cities. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Round Rock ..for the win!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
I am a current Boerne resident, and while I have never lived in Round Rock, I did have relatives in the area for quite a number of years. Two separate animals. Austin has grown to where there is no longer a solid distinction between where Austin ends and Round Rock begins. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. Boerne is still 20 miles from San Antonio and maintains the small town feel. While convenient to the city, it has managed to retain a separate identity.

Boerne was recently named the number 4 small town in the U.S for livability by Livability.com just as a plug...

Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Round Rock ..for the win!!!
Any reasoning behind your thoughts here?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
To make the case for Boerne schools, we have one in elementary, and one in high school (Boerne Champion) and could not be happier. The schools live up to their ratings. Lots for kids to do in the area, sports, a phenomenal public library, new walking trails, many events in town (Harvest Moon, Farmers Market, Berges Fest, Weinacht Parade, Dickens on Main, etc.), many galleries, etc.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,985 times
Austin/Round Rock is much more liberal and artsy than San Antonio/Boerne. Not to say that San Antonio doesn't have artsy things available...First Friday would probably interest you here in SA...but there are just more options when it comes to Austin in those areas. Kinda like Houston has way more diversity in restaurants than San Antonio. If you are looking for a big city with small town values...I think San Antonio is your place. Just my opinion, but that's my impression of the 2 cities. Been a San Antonio resident for 12 years now and do visit Austin quite often. Boerne does have great schools and is a tad bit more rural than Round Rock.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,329 times
First Friday is nothing but thousands of college kids milling around aimlessly. Probably the biggest hoax going in this city besides all those stand in line for a $10 turkey leg "cultural festivals" at Hemisfaire Park.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
I was just up in Round Rock a week ago, it's become engulfed by Austin and its traffic. Definitely doesn't feel like a "small town" to me if that's what you're after.

Boerne, on the other hand, was just named one of the top 10 small towns in the United States in a new national ranking. Now, whether that's a good thing or not has yet to be seen. We routinely go to Boerne as it does have that "small town" feel to it. I fear that being on that list may have the same detrimental effect that happened to San Antonio when it was labeled the same. People flocked to it and all those attributes that gave it that "small town feel" have faded.

To me there'd be no debate, Boerne clearly would be my first choice. It is located in a much more scenic part of Texas, it still has yet to be engulfed by SA (but one day it may happen), and there is a lot to see and do in the area.

The big question is how your 14-yr-old daughter will adapt to such an environment. Depending on how much of a cultural change it will be from where you live now, it could take some doing.

As for your "political leanings," while conservative in nature most Texans don't care about a person's political thoughts and opinions as long as they aren't trying to shove them down their throats! It's pretty much the same with religion, the mentality is live-and-let-live as long as you respect the beliefs of others. Usually those who get into hot water are the ones who feel they have to change the way people think here. That's a bad move from the onset...

Cheers! M2

Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
I have lived in Round Rock when I was in high school and for a short time as a young adult. When I first moved there Dell wasn't there yet and it was still a small town. After Dell got there it boomed. If I drive there today I get lost, lol. I liked living there when I did but I'm not sure I'd like living there now. It's a pretty safe place to live, though. Cops are strict there. People always complain about Williamson County cops but since I wasn't one to get into trouble it never bothered me. My friends on the other hand.... Schools are also good there. I've never lived in Boerne but wouldn't mind it. I like small towns.

ETA: If you like more liberal attitudes and artsy things I think Round Rock would be your best bet.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Boerne is lily white. If you are looking for diversity, I doubt you'll find it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio