Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you interesting in bringing an IN and OUT Burger franchise to San Antonio?
Yes.....I love In and Out.....count me in! 94 52.22%
Yes.....I haven't tried one, but I'm open for anything new! 27 15.00%
No.....I'm not interested. 32 17.78%
I don't care either way. 26 14.44%
Maybe....I want to know what's involved. 1 0.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 PM

454 posts, read 505,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Actually, Fud's is local...started right here in San Antonio, by Phil Romano (you know, Romano's Macaroni Grill?) but like all good things that start here (Rudy's, Macaroni, the Air Force) it has been franchised and spread all over the place, making it not "special" or unique to SoTX.

Fuddruckers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does it still count as local if it's a chain?

McDonald's is local then too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Been to CA many time and eat there whenever possible. I love their fresh cut fries and the simplicity of the menu. I would love to see them come here - but question if Texas is ready for a simplified hamburger joint that is closer to McDonald's than to Chesters. That said - it seems that it could work in a touristy area like the Quarry.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:25 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post

No, no it's not it's comparing an multi-national to a restaurant that is still housed in it's original building. It's like chili's here in Dallas. The original from 1978 is still around on Greenville Ave. thus it's local. It has a different flair than all the others.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,041 times
Quote:

No...McD's is not local...it was started in Deerfield, IL, so it's "local" to the Chicago area.

So by your criteria, would Rudy's still be considered local? How about Macaroni? I think if you ask folks in San Antonio, they would say they are.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times
Quote:
No...McD's is not local...it was started in Deerfield, IL, so it's "local" to the Chicago area.

So by your criteria, would Rudy's still be considered local? How about Macaroni? I think if you ask folks in San Antonio, they would say they are.
This site states that McD's first restaurant opened in San Bernardino, CA, which has always been my understanding of its history:

History of The Historic Site of the Original McDonald's in San Bernardino

Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Fuddruckers isn't local. They've been all over for ages.

Whataburger - yuck. It can't even compare!

There's a great burger joint off I-10 in the medical area, somewhere around Wurzbach (can't recall the name but excellent burgers). Sam's is good too.
The burger place you are speaking of is probably Chester's.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 PM

454 posts, read 505,439 times
Quote:

I'm not a fan of Fuddruckers - or Chili's. Chain restaurants. I don't have set criteria, but I'd guess I'd say if it's in multiple states and diverged in quality from the original, then it's no longer a local joint. Is it still owned by the same family?

Even In N Out - which IS local to me in a way since I grew up very near the original, doesn't really qualify as local anymore now that it's spread to multiple states.

I'm just not a fan of chain restaurants period. I think it's unfortunate that the Riverwalk is All About the Chain. People are afraid to try anything different so they go to the chain. In N Out is excellent (usually), but as much as I miss it, I'd rather go to a true local place.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
This site states that McD's first restaurant opened in San Bernardino, CA, which has always been my understanding of its history:

History of The Historic Site of the Original McDonald's in San Bernardino
Very true, but the first "franchise" opened by Ray Kroc was opened in the Chicago area (the San Bernadino store wasn't owned by Kroc)...actually Des Plaines (not Deerfield as I mentioned earlier...my bad). So the one in San Bernadino wasn't actually a McDonald's, but rather the model after which McDonald's was fashioned, and the first of many stores that Ray Kroc would open

Museum Info

Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Yeah, I am sure that the folks who brought Krystals here thought it was a good idea as well! And that place has already shut down once (but is now reopened).

There are enough restaurants and burger joints in San Antonio. Sure, feel free to open another chain of fast food places, but don't be surprised if they tank. Krystals (and their cousins White Castles) have always done well on the East Coast, but after the initial thrill is gone, they have struggled here.

And please stop trying to Kalifonicate Texas!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 AM

85 posts, read 261,833 times
Why is this even a sticky? It's a family owned business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio