Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM

34 posts, read 59,187 times

Advertisements

I'm moving down very soon. Trying to find housing, and this is getting to be my main concern.

No matter where I look, I can't find where the problems are and what time of day they occur to try to avoid the logjams people complain about. I'm from Nashville, and there if you are going away from the city in the morning, traffic is much better.

I'll be working normal hrs -07:30-16:30 on the west side of SA. I'd love to live somewhere with lots of things to do but do not want to spend an hour each way stuck in a traffic jam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieut01 View Post
I'm moving down very soon. Trying to find housing, and this is getting to be my main concern.

No matter where I look, I can't find where the problems are and what time of day they occur to try to avoid the logjams people complain about. I'm from Nashville, and there if you are going away from the city in the morning, traffic is much better.

I'll be working normal hrs -07:30-16:30 on the west side of SA. I'd love to live somewhere with lots of things to do but do not want to spend an hour each way stuck in a traffic jam.
I work in Westover Hills and live in Alamo Hts and it takes me 25 mins to go 22 miles. I drive about 5 miles over the speed limit and hit back ups only at the freeway interchanges. In the afternoon you can add 5-10 mins onto that number. 410 is a great wide freeway to live off of.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 PM

34 posts, read 59,187 times
How is traffic going West on 90 in the morning/ East in the evening?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
We live in Southtown. I used to drive and my husband still does to 410/151 area. It's about 15 minutes. On the weekends we rarely get in our car, and sometimes my husband bikes the 7 miles to work.

West on 90 in the morning, east in the evening is a breeze. Rarely any traffic unless there's an accident, which happens but it rare.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 PM

381 posts, read 768,086 times
Traffic here is a breeze compared to other big cities that I have lived in before.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,910 times
Open up Google Maps Traffic Layer for San Antonio area. I have found it to be extremely reliable. It uses cellphones and road sensor data to get traffic speed.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Traffic here is a breeze compared to other big cities that I have lived in before.
But who wants to sit in traffic anywhere?
I know traffic, I grew up in LA and have lived in other big cities. Yes, it is not as bad here, but really, is sitting on 1604/35/I-10/281 in barely more than a parking lot every day at 5:30 really fun? Why do it if it can easily be avoided?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:21 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
I'm a recent convert to the idea of living downtown. I currently live downtown ST. Louis and it is only a 5min drive for me to work. When I return to SA, I will consider living downtown. Although I pay slightly more to live downtown, the time I save is a tremendous benefit. For the first time, I have not spent money on gas for over a month.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I'm a recent convert to the idea of living downtown. I currently live downtown ST. Louis and it is only a 5min drive for me to work. When I return to SA, I will consider living downtown. Although I pay slightly more to live downtown, the time I save is a tremendous benefit. For the first time, I have not spent money on gas for over a month.
I'd love to live downtown (either here or St. Louis! ). However, I work in the medical center and my husband works just west of there, so we chose to live closer to 410 - still inside 410, but closer. I drive three miles to work and my husband drives six. Proximity to work was more important to us than living downtown, for myriad reasons.

That said, perhaps in retirement we will move downtown. I have several friends who are retired or semi-retired and are enjoying the condo/loft lifestyle.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Before we put money down on a home we loved in 1994 moving here from Japan....we did the SMART thing. ACTUALLY take the time to DRIVE from where you want to live to where you work at the time of day you will expect to travel to and from....made a HUGE difference in where we decided to build. Fell in love with the floor plan at Dezavala and I-10, but once we saw the traffic nightmare asked "where else do you build this floorplan" and ended up in Westcreek with the floor plan we wanted, and less than 15 minute commute.

If you are buying pre-owned, do the same thing to see if the commute time is something acceptable.

Working on the "westside" can mean a HUGE area when talking about a city the size of SA. It takes me 45 min to get to my mom's house, with decent traffic flow, and we BOTH live in SA...just opposite sides!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio