Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:24 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Where exactly does it expressly say in the law the the left lane is for passing only. I looked around on the TDPS site and found a long list in a document listing trans portation codes, rules of the road etc. but I have never been able to find any documented law in Texas that clearly states that the left lane on a multiple lane freeway is for passing only. Here's a link. Can you find it on there?

TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

Or any official language that states that it is illegal to drive in the left lane of a multi lane freeway unless you are in the act of passing (over taking) another vehicle?
Everybody seems to think it is illegal, including who ever is doing the typing for SA transguide. You would think finding this law writen down somewhere would not be that hard but so far the only thing that people show me is the law that states you must use the right side of the roadway. The only people this addresses is the Wrong Way Drivers that we have hearing so much about latley. Not people just driving in the left lane of the freeway.
Sec. 544.011. LANE USE SIGNS. If, on a highway having more than one lane with vehicles traveling in the same direction, the Texas Department of Transportation or a local authority places a sign that directs slower traffic to travel in a lane other than the farthest left lane, the sign must read "left lane for passing only."

There are numerous signs stating this very thing along I-10 spaced about every 1/4 mile.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 PM

332 posts, read 529,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Everybody seems to think it is illegal,
its not unless a sign posted says otherwise.

it is no longer implied in texas that the left lane is for passing only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
You'll care when I call you in and you get cited.

Also, you can pick and choose the laws that you follow as long as you are willing to accept the punishment. If one can afford the fine, then who are you to tell them that they can't speed? The highway doesn't need hall monitors like you.
youre more than welcome to try and do that, but if im breaking no laws, you'll just get laughed at and maybe visited yourself by a LEO!

cops tend to not pull over their own, or family of their own.

just sayin'

Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
You'll care when I call you in and you get cited.

Also, you can pick and choose the laws that you follow as long as you are willing to accept the punishment. If one can afford the fine, then who are you to tell them that they can't speed? The highway doesn't need hall monitors like you.

Hello, pot? This is kettle calling ...

Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Bottom line to those that insist on driving in the left lane and arguing their legal right to do so, what about the good old-fashioned notion of courtesy? If you are in the left lane, and there is no one in front of you, and you are not going to be passing anyone in the immediate future, what is wrong with getting over to let someone by? What is the basis of your moral stand to refuse to yield to faster traffic? What is the logic or reasoning? Simply put, despite all the baseless arguments to the contrary, there is no justification, you just don't want to because you get some sort of misguided sense of accomplishment from getting in the way. When I took drivers ed back when the earth was still cooling, one of the lessons that stuck with me in the 20-25-30 years since was one on driver personality types. The type that comes to mind based on posts in this thread is the power trip driver. A mild mannered citizen in ordinary circumstances, but put him/her behind the wheel of a car and he sees his opportunity to get back at the rest of society for all the perceived wrongs done against him/her.

There just is no reasonable or logical excuse not to get out of the left lane if there is no one in front of you and traffic behind you wants to pass. It isn't your job as a private citizen to monitor and/or control the flow of traffic. Do the right thing and move right to allow others to pass.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
YES. Thank you for saying this. It makes me so mad to see when TxDot puts "left lane for passing only" up on TransGuide. In a city of 2 million you really think one lane is going to stay free for passing only? Get real TxDot!!!! Wake up to reality!!!
Especially when you are only given 2 lanes to drive in...quite different than when on 5 lane areas (ie IH-10). When on those 2 lane sections of 1604 and NOT exiting, I try to stay out of the merge on/off lane because of all those trying to get on/off the exit/enterance. I think it prudent to stay out of their way and over to the left.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
We definitely need "Slow Traffic Keep Right" signs in both Spanish and English!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
Bottom line is this:

If you're in the left lane, and all other lanes are moving faster than you, and you have traffic stacking up behind you, why not move over to the right (when safe to do so) and let others pass?

No, you're NOT required to do so (by law) in all driving situations.
No, you SHOULDN'T be responsible for those who want to drive at unsafe speeds.
No, you're NOT breaking the laws of the land, physics, or moral codes by driving slower than the posted limit.

But,

Yes, you SHOULD exercise courtesy and allow others to continue on their way.
Yes, you SHOULD call 311/911 when you spot a driver "zooming" in/around traffic at speeds way beyond the posted limit.

Let's leave interpretation of single sentences in law to the lawyers and police. If you're not creating unsafe conditions for others, what difference does it make?

--Dim

Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM

413 posts, read 741,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Hello, pot? This is kettle calling ...
Subtle difference in that I have no problem with more official hall monitors (police) as opposed to regular people acting as such by blocking a lane.

Last edited by ItsTheTruth; 10-19-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 04:34 PM

413 posts, read 741,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
its not unless a sign posted says otherwise.

it is no longer implied in texas that the left lane is for passing only.

youre more than welcome to try and do that, but if im breaking no laws, you'll just get laughed at and maybe visited yourself by a LEO!

cops tend to not pull over their own, or family of their own.

just sayin'
Well that explains your logic. You think you're special. How cute. Just remember that your LEO family members can't save you from an event like the road rage shooting a few days ago. By the way, you're breaking Sec 544.011 whenever it is posted on I-10 and I-35 which is basically all the time.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times
Sigh, it isn't your job to enforce the law...if someone wants to go faster than you, stop being a douche and let them by. It's safer that way. Bunching up because someone wants to drive slow in the left lane isnt safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio