Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,490 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone ever gives a quick wake-up honk at a slow person on the left lane. I've often wanted to do that. On this weekend's long trip up IH35 every time I passed someone on the right, they moved over once they realized they had a line of cars behind them. Maybe a quick beep would make them take notice.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times
I've definitely given a quick flash of the lights, which where I'm from (up north) is taken to be a simple "letting someone know you're behind them" gesture. Sometimes it works here, but sometimes people take it as a hostile act, which it isn't.

And I pass on the right all the time, although it ALWAYS feels more dangerous. But when someone is camped out in the left hand land and not even glancing at their rear view mirror, it's sometimes the only option.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:09 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
I've definitely given a quick flash of the lights, which where I'm from (up north) is taken to be a simple "letting someone know you're behind them" gesture. Sometimes it works here, but sometimes people take it as a hostile act, which it isn't.

And I pass on the right all the time, although it ALWAYS feels more dangerous. But when someone is camped out in the left hand land and not even glancing at their rear view mirror, it's sometimes the only option.
Agreed, people take the flash as an aggressive move. Strange.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
I just speaks to the mentality of the people camping in the left lane. In Europe (most countries) a flash of the headlights indicates a desire to pass, and normally the traffic in front will move right to allow the faster driver to get around. Here, camping in the left lane is seen either as a God given right, or as being some sort vigilante enforcer of highway speed. Thus, when you blink the headlights, the person in the way perceives this desire to pass as a threat to their sovereign territory and a prelude to possible hostilities. People that hang in the left lane fall into two groups, the deliberate and the oblivious. The deliberate crowd willfully camps in the left lane to shore up self esteem, exercise the ability to control other random drivers, or satisfy their inner Dudley Do-Right. The oblivious crowd is easily spotted by the cell phone either stuck to their skull, or in texting mode in their hand. These critters are not deliberately slowing traffic, they are simply unaware that they are doing it because their conversation is obviously more important than the safe operation of their car on the freeway. In either case, both groups will take a headlight flash or horn honk as an offensive gesture and will either slow down more, or more often than not, match speed with a car in the center lane to prevent passing, and actively increase speed anytime they are being passed on the right. I would love to see more of these clown get ticketed for impeding the flow of traffic.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM

332 posts, read 529,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
I wonder if anyone ever gives a quick wake-up honk at a slow person on the left lane. I've often wanted to do that. On this weekend's long trip up IH35 every time I passed someone on the right, they moved over once they realized they had a line of cars behind them. Maybe a quick beep would make them take notice.
someone honks at me in the fast lane and im going the speed limit, they get the one finger salute. wherever you have to be is not more important than breaking the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post

if you stop speeding, you wont have to flash your lights at people going the limit in the fast lane. now, if they arent going the limit, you are justified in flashing lights/tapping horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I just speaks to the mentality of the people camping in the left lane. In Europe (most countries) a flash of the headlights indicates a desire to pass, and normally the traffic in front will move right to allow the faster driver to get around. Here, camping in the left lane is seen either as a God given right, or as being some sort vigilante enforcer of highway speed.
do you have a medical emergency of some type? an emergency of any type thats life or death? if not, STOP SPEEDING. if im going the limit in the fast lane, thats as fast as ANYONE should be going since its the bloody law.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM

413 posts, read 741,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
someone honks at me in the fast lane and im going the speed limit, they get the one finger salute. wherever you have to be is not more important than breaking the law.
Of course, nobody is more important than you. Not the guy bringing his pregnant wife in labor, not the child going to the hospital, and not the police car going to a robbery call.

The more you type, the more I realize that you will likely be the next victim of road rage. I wonder if you're smart enough to just throw up your middle finger to the grannies on the road or if you would do it to some gangster in an Escalade?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Quote:

if you stop speeding, you wont have to flash your lights at people going the limit in the fast lane. now, if they arent going the limit, you are justified in flashing lights/tapping horn.

do you have a medical emergency of some type? an emergency of any type thats life or death? if not, STOP SPEEDING. if im going the limit in the fast lane, thats as fast as ANYONE should be going since its the bloody law.
Follow the context....most people are discussing people hanging in the left lane, that are not passing, and are going under the speed limit. Again, I will ask for the benefit of posterity, what is wrong with getting out of the left lane if you are not passing? Why would you stay there just to get in everybody's way?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Did you invent some type of mind-reading device or something that detects injuries from 50 feet away? If so, modern medicine would love to have a chat with you. If not, get out of the left lane. For all you know, someone could be dying because you're too childish to get out of the way.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Follow the context....most people are discussing people hanging in the left lane, that are not passing, and are going under the speed limit. Again, I will ask for the benefit of posterity, what is wrong with getting out of the left lane if you are not passing? Why would you stay there just to get in everybody's way?
It's just what people do when they're stuck in a miserable life where they have no control. Every day, their boss yells at them, their spouse nags at them, but in the car, they try to abuse what little bit of power they have. Sad, really.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times
Quote:
And the people who are ten cars behind you, bunched up--do you have any idea where they need to be? Is it up to you to judge them? Is it up to you to uphold and enforce the law? Next time I see someone making a left hand turn without using their signal, I'm just going to smash right into them! Serves them right for not following the law!

You know, I could almost live with this position if it weren't for the fact that about half of the speed limit warriors I witness are also the types to completely break the law by going over the limit to keep someone from passing them on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio