U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,714 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Phil and I live in SanAntonio and I am trying to put a 12x16 shed in my back yard. I know I need a permit and I have already gone to the permit office and purchased my permit. On the top of my permit they put a big red stamp that says must comply with UDC (Unified development code) and IRC (International residential code). They also give you a paper with contact info to schedule an inspector to come out after each step of the build is done. I am just wondering if there is any one here that has gone through this. I have talked to 4 different shed builders in the area and haven’t gotten a straight answer from any of them as to (Does your shed comply to the SanAntonio building codes). I really have know idea as to what the inspector is going to look for when I call one out. That is why I am trying to get info from some one who has been trough the process. I thought I could just go on a lot full of sheds say ill take that one and have it delivered and live happily ever after.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 PM

3,489 posts, read 18,669,014 times
I did what you thought you could do. Looked at a lot full of sheds, bought one, they delivered and put it up. No problem. No permit and no one to tell me how it needs to be done. I've been happy ever since.
Who said you need a permit? If it's HOA, get thier rules and regs and see what it says. An HOA has no authority on building codes unless they are incorprated into thier own rules and regs.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 PM

2,970 posts, read 9,200,998 times
Direct from Muni Codes..

(e)
Work exempt from permit. Exemptions from permit requirements of this chapter shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this chapter or any other laws or ordinances of the city. Permits shall not be required for the following:
Building:
(1) One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed one hundred twenty (120) square feet (11 m2).

If you're doing a 12 x 16, then you're at 192sqft. Might want to scale down just a bit.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 PM

922 posts, read 1,364,169 times
If you live in a neighborhood with a Home Owner's Association then run it by your HOA's Architectural Committee and they'll say yes, that's all you need.

I used to be on the board of my old HOA and we would approve it as long as the homeowner didn't already have a shed (no joke, some people would have multiple sheds in their yards, like their backyard was a "used shed lot").

Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM

5,721 posts, read 16,096,959 times
This is one of those "you shouldn't have" kinda things. In regards to UDC, you cannot change or cause any water runoff issues with the new shed. The structure must conform to the neighborhood, such as the siding should be representative of that used in the area. Otherwise, the folks downtown have a sense of humor sometimes. But the hard part is now they are calling out that it conform to IRC specifications and a lot of the shed aren't even close. The floor system will have to be rated for the design load as well as the roof. So this isn't a case of buying the cheapest deal out there and all is well. The floor system will most likely be something along the lines of 2x 6 12s at 16" centers with 3/4 T&G ply on top, glued and screwed. It'll have to have a double 2x 8 ribbon for rack control on the ends of the 2x 6's. You'll have to provide some support under the floor system like concrete pads every 6 foot on the 2x 8 ribbon. The roof will have to either have engineered trusses or you'll be looking at 2x 6 rafters and ceiling joists. Once framed, roofed, and all tie downs made and all bracing in place, you'll need the inspector to sign off on it. Then you can install the siding and trim. Or basically what they told you is that as far as they are concerned it might as well be a room addition and a structural component of the home even though it's not attached.
Now comes the hard part, buying the right shed. Make sure the morons you buy from have a clue about what is required.....best of luck with that too. Make it a part of the contract that they are responsible for building it to IRC specs. Most won't have a clue what you're talking about so expect to talk with a lot of shed builders.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,714 times
Thanks for the info TrapperL thats what i was trying to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio