Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 PM

203 posts, read 561,269 times

Advertisements

Pearl Brewery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM

239 posts, read 442,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakssa View Post
Pearl Brewery

this!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM

39 posts, read 84,412 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned & Off-Topic

I agree with the downtown area if you still want that urban feel.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-02-2012 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalkin118 View Post
Basically what part of the city should I live in. I am working downtown. What am I in for. I am from New England and have been in NYC for 3 years. Will I like San Antonio? Any advice/suggestions will help.
Where in New England are you from? As a former New Englander, I can tell you that it will make a big difference (i.e. Springfield or Bridgeport vs. northern Maine). I will assume you are prepared for culture shock. A lot of the areas that have been recommended are good for a single 25 year old working downtown, but a lot are close to seedy areas. The crime in Texas is sky high compared to any New England state. If safety is your number one concern, live north outside 1604. For the hip, convenient areas, consider Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Terrell Hills (enclave towns), Monte Vista or King William. Tobin Hill is okay, and is making great strides, but is a little seedy in spots. If you currently live in Manhattan, nothing should phase you, though. Avoid the south, east or west sides. The crime is high and is not convenient to what you are used to. Are you looking to rent? buy? What is your budget? You can get a lot for your money here in San Antonio. Public transit is practically non-existent. No trains and the buses...well, they are NOT convenient. Good luck.

Will you like it? Well, understand this is nothing like NYC or even Boston. It is not a very educated city, but I love it for what it is. My advice: Just take it in stride and do NOT compare it to NYC or NE because you will be disappointed. Get a reliable car and enjoy SA for what it is.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:08 PM

334 posts, read 915,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Where in New England are you from? As a former New Englander, I can tell you that it will make a big difference (i.e. Springfield or Bridgeport vs. northern Maine). I will assume you are prepared for culture shock. A lot of the areas that have been recommended are good for a single 25 year old working downtown, but a lot are close to seedy areas. The crime in Texas is sky high compared to any New England state. If safety is your number one concern, live north outside 1604. For the hip, convenient areas, consider Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Terrell Hills (enclave towns), Monte Vista or King William. Tobin Hill is okay, and is making great strides, but is a little seedy in spots. If you currently live in Manhattan, nothing should phase you, though. Avoid the south, east or west sides. The crime is high and is not convenient to what you are used to. Are you looking to rent? buy? What is your budget? You can get a lot for your money here in San Antonio. Public transit is practically non-existent. No trains and the buses...well, they are NOT convenient. Good luck.

Will you like it? Well, understand this is nothing like NYC or even Boston. It is not a very educated city, but I love it for what it is. My advice: Just take it in stride and do NOT compare it to NYC or NE because you will be disappointed. Get a reliable car and enjoy SA for what it is.
This. And give it six months or so before making a final judgment. SA grew on us after a while.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM

501 posts, read 776,519 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned & Off-Topic

I'd throw in with those recommending Southtown, Tobin Hill, Monte Vista despite acknowledging they're way overpriced for what you're getting in square footage compared to loopland.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-02-2012 at 11:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM

168 posts, read 529,975 times
I understand coming from big different type of city, as in Los Angeles, or Manhattan. Although very different, both have many things that are way different than here. It takes awhile, but if you can get over missing your family, you will be fine. I even know younger peeps that dig it here now better than LA which is a trip. You just get used to a chiller way of life. And if you want do more, maybe roll out to Austin. And you can look up things to do on here. That's how we found a ton of stuff. Anything you're into, you can find on the internet these days, instead of having to roll around forever lookin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio