Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM

18 posts, read 26,300 times

Advertisements

As a UTSA alumni, former San Antonio resident, and season ticket holder I surely hope that the city of San Antonio will embrace the team as one of their own.

I believe that if the city embraces the team as their own it will benefit the city and UTSA hand in hand. Games in the Alamodome will be beneficial to the local businesses and will hopefully entice more business to build business around the Alamodome. If UTSA can provide a competitive team it and sustain a great football crowd, this will entice opposing team's fans to come down and enjoy San Antonio for the weekend.

My heart says that San Antonio will embrace the team but I guess only time will tell.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
If the turnout yesterday was any indication, I'd say that the citizens of San Antonio are very much behing UTSA's team.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:07 PM

I hope UTSA athletics keep up their heavy recruitment for San Antonio players to stay in UTSA and play for their city

Old 09-04-2011, 06:21 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,375 times
Not to rain on UTSA's parade but maybe the NFL will take notice??? I think SA will support UTSA and an NFL franchise. I am a Longhorn and I bleed orange. However, I might try and make it to a UTSA game to see what it is like. Very impressive yesterday.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Not to rain on UTSA's parade but maybe the NFL will take notice??? I think SA will support UTSA and an NFL franchise. I am a Longhorn and I bleed orange. However, I might try and make it to a UTSA game to see what it is like. Very impressive yesterday.
I was thinking the exact same thing about the NFL taking notice. Surely the league will notice that the crowd at the Alamodome yesterday was a record setter for a major college football debut game. I also believe that given the opportunity San Antonians would turn out in droves for the NFL. Without question.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 PM

very true TBI...I agree but if I remember correctly the NFL thought that the average SA resident can not afford the costs of attending an NFL game but the case might be different for UTSA because ticket prices are about 12ish dollars.

I also feel that the Dallas Cowboys own San Antonio but you never know

Old 09-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing about the NFL taking notice. Surely the league will notice that the crowd at the Alamodome yesterday was a record setter for a major college football debut game. I also believe that given the opportunity San Antonians would turn out in droves for the NFL. Without question.
we had our chance when saints were here and we couldnt sell out the dome. OKC embraced the hornets and were rewarded with thunder. in order for san antonio to get awarded a team we would need to build a new stadium. that and wait for los angeles to get another shot in getting an nfl team and get whats next

Old 09-04-2011, 06:42 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
we had our chance when saints were here and we couldnt sell out the dome. OKC embraced the hornets and were rewarded with thunder. in order for san antonio to get awarded a team we would need to build a new stadium. that and wait for los angeles to get another shot in getting an nfl team and get whats next
First, the Saints games were not a do or die situation where the NFL said, "sellout these games or you'll never get an NFL team". The Saints games were an impromptu situation that was dropped into San Antonio's lap with the city doing its best to make the refugee Saints feel at home. And while the games weren't complete sellouts they were still heavily attended. Which was very impressive given that the franchise and the city had scant little time to market the games.

NFL teams usually get months to market their teams to their fans. They also tend to market in their home communities. San Antonio did not and still does not have that situation. The New Orleans Saints did not nor do they now have a large fanbase in San Antonio. So the fact that they were able to sell any tickets at all to those now famous games is impressive.

The fact that UTSA football did so well yesterday with its attendance cannot help but bode well for San Antonio's NFL chances. Lower income people notwithstanding.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
That was such an awesome game and it was so crazy at the 'dome!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 PM

502 posts, read 934,366 times
I expect the attendance to actually rise! Yes San Antonio will embrace it! San Antonio has great football talent and not all of them can make it to the larger d1 schools thus letting them fall into utsa lap! People that aren't even football fans were raving about the game yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio