Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 12,745 times

Advertisements

Was looking at "The Broadway" high rise condos. I have been making a list of Pros/Cons but had some questions:

1) Is it safe to walk around this area during the day/night. Traffic seems like it is pretty bad but I am more worried about what kind of other people are roaming around. Seems like it would be a lot of college students but I am not familiar with the area.

2) How are the following schools:

Elem: Lamar
Middle: Mark Twain
High: Fox Tech

I have always heard horror stories about Fox Tech but it looks like more of a technical high school now? I am wondering what the future would be like if I had kids down the road. Would I need to send them to a private school?

Let me know if you have any pros/cons for this area that I can add to my list as well. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,511,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT View Post
Was looking at "The Broadway" high rise condos. I have been making a list of Pros/Cons but had some questions:

1) Is it safe to walk around this area during the day/night. Traffic seems like it is pretty bad but I am more worried about what kind of other people are roaming around. Seems like it would be a lot of college students but I am not familiar with the area.
Daytime - definitely safe. I park near there and walk all over and have no concerns. I walk in the early evening (just after dusk), biggest worry is crazy drivers. Nighttime I think is fine, but it's not too populated after dark.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:04 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,313,785 times
With no offense, for the money that condo would cost, you could be in a very nice house in districts with better schools. I can't see a high rise condo in that neighbor. There is really nothing special. A couple of nice restaurants and a lot of mediocre ones. You could walk to Central Market but is that a draw. If there is another economic crash, condos don't do well and that one is not attractive. The condo on Huebner off I-10 was a flop.

I can see expensive condos in NYC or downtown Austin - but Broadway here?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
With no offense, for the money that condo would cost, you could be in a very nice house in districts with better schools. I can't see a high rise condo in that neighbor. There is really nothing special. A couple of nice restaurants and a lot of mediocre ones. You could walk to Central Market but is that a draw. If there is another economic crash, condos don't do well and that one is not attractive. The condo on Huebner off I-10 was a flop.

I can see expensive condos in NYC or downtown Austin - but Broadway here?
I'd actually agree somewhat - the area itself isn't that exciting, unless you worked near there. But not everyone wants a house in the suburbs and the only way to continue to improve our schools is if families commit to them by moving into these areas.

I'd probably pick a condo downtown or at the Pearl or at St Benedicts if I wanted condo life.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 PM

6 posts, read 12,745 times
Thanks for the update (GEM, Chaka). I do have a nice house in a good school district right now but I also have acreage I have to take care of. My options were to get in a house with little to no landscaping or get into a condo where I do not have to worry about anything. My problem is that I work right outside NE San Antonio so the downtown condos are really not an option. The Broadway condos are about the same distance I am driving now although I am sure the traffic is much worse then my current commute.

I like the idea of condo living where I can just take the elevator to the gym, pool, outdoor grilling area, etc but I agree with the above statements. The Broadway area does not have some of the great reasons to live there as some of the condos in Austin would have. Just trying to weigh all of my options.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,397,503 times
I remember touring the place before they opened, very nice and pricey. For what you are paying there you would think there would be better schools. Good luck to you.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT View Post
Thanks for the update (GEM, Chaka). I do have a nice house in a good school district right now but I also have acreage I have to take care of. My options were to get in a house with little to no landscaping or get into a condo where I do not have to worry about anything. My problem is that I work right outside NE San Antonio so the downtown condos are really not an option. The Broadway condos are about the same distance I am driving now although I am sure the traffic is much worse then my current commute.
Traffic would probably be easier as it's more of a reverse commute, but Broadway itself is never pretty...

The schools are not ideal. Not horrible, but they are SAISD and not the few gems. That said, the families in the area are starting to work at improving the schools, so there is some hope. I think that because there are so many private schools in the area, people have tended to turn towards private, but there is progress, at least with Lamar and Mark Twain. I've heard Fox Tech has changed recently, but don't know much more beyond that.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM

4,421 posts, read 5,294,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Traffic would probably be easier as it's more of a reverse commute, but Broadway itself is never pretty...

The schools are not ideal. Not horrible, but they are SAISD and not the few gems. That said, the families in the area are starting to work at improving the schools, so there is some hope. I think that because there are so many private schools in the area, people have tended to turn towards private, but there is progress, at least with Lamar and Mark Twain. I've heard Fox Tech has changed recently, but don't know much more beyond that.
I take Broadway from Austin Hightway to Hildabrand every morning and afternoon and never have a problem. It takes me between 3-5 minutes.

That said this property is in a good location to me. 5-10 miles away you have the DT, Pearl, The Quarry, and all the shopping along Broadway and Sunset Blvd. The issue would be the price.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM

790 posts, read 1,872,957 times
I've never toured the property, but I did watch the it develop. The condos seem wonderful, with lots of amenities. I always viewed them as more for people 55+, or those with kids in high school attending private school. I know it's down the road, but when you have kids, you could always try and get into the Alamo Heights school district. I just think it's easier to have a yard with kids, so they can run around, etc.

I'm no fan of SAISD or SASD, whatever the name is now. I'd seriously reconsider sending a child into one of the schools. And, yes, I attended SASA schools, so I speak from experience. I was lucky to go to a great college, where I had to work hard to catch up to my colleagues. I would never do that to my kids. Ugh.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 AM

490 posts, read 1,090,104 times
The building is very nice. Views from higher floors are great. If I didn't want a yard and wasn't worried about the public schools, I'd do it. Location is great between Quarry / Alamo Heights and downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio