Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times

Advertisements

Wondering if we should come down from Austin and stay in a hotel the night of the lighting, Friday Nov. 23? What happens exactly - is it just turning on the switch or are there festivities, parades or something else? I've been down on the riverwalk to see the lights and it is great, but never on that first night. Hotels downtown are cheap Thanksgiving night and Saturday night, but not on Friday night - hence the question, is it worth it to stay downtown the Friday night after Thanksgiving? Or should we just wait and see it some night after that Friday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 PM

271 posts, read 987,690 times
Yes, it is worth it. It is a lot of fun with the parade. If you go, get a room with a balcony (probably none available now, though). We've done this in the past with friends and family. We'll have a "party" in the room while we watch the parade on the river. Very fun and beautiful. Very festive... great way to get in the Holiday spirit!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
It's very pretty...and worth it. There is a big river parade which accompanies the lighting.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Wondering if we should come down from Austin and stay in a hotel the night of the lighting, Friday Nov. 23? What happens exactly - is it just turning on the switch or are there festivities, parades or something else? I've been down on the riverwalk to see the lights and it is great, but never on that first night. Hotels downtown are cheap Thanksgiving night and Saturday night, but not on Friday night - hence the question, is it worth it to stay downtown the Friday night after Thanksgiving? Or should we just wait and see it some night after that Friday?
There was a time when we did it every year. We would reserve a table at Casa Rio. Problem is you have to reserve the table in June or July at the latest. It might be even worse now. It was fun. It's not the lighting of lights so much, I think we alway's got there too late. My dad got angry at some kids that were dumping confetti on him from the balcony. I thought that was funny. We saw Mo Bandy and Scratch man ( remember him?) A lot of barges with bands. Casa Rio had a buffet that night and it was easy to get refreshments. I recommend something like that rather than dealing with the masses although I have done that too. I remember a little kid playing the violin. He was pretty good. I taped everything but somehow the magic was gone.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
Thanks everyone! very helpful. Maybe some of you can recommend the best hotels to see the Fiesta river parades from a hotel room. Planning ahead...

Old 11-02-2012, 02:04 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,143 times
Get ready to spend money.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM

271 posts, read 987,690 times
We've always stayed at the Westin Riverwalk.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 PM

431 posts, read 928,996 times
Go for it! Everybody should go at least once. It's always a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: