Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,073,566 times

Advertisements

I know Burmuda has a problem with weeds
Dont know about ST.A

But the El Toro Zoysia gets so thick that it basically "chokes" out any weeds that try to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,819 times
Try JaMur... very drought tolerant. And when u think its dead.... a little rain brings it back to life. My favorite is and always will be st. augustine. If property is half and half it probably has parts of day that are both Sunny and shaded. I like grass that has runners... if a small section dies for some reason it will grow back in. But I planted celebration bermuda in my front and certain sections that died never came back and had to put in new squares
However if U let it grow to 3 to 4 inches with fertilizer it's absolutely amazing... and the softest I have ever felt. And blows in the wind. So basically every grass has its strong and weak characteristics. . Just put what u really like and make sure it fits the weather it needs. JAMUR is my first recommendation. And it looks a little like st. Augustine but thinner blade. Very evasive as well. So weedeat well along beds.... just like st. Aug.. I did notice it doesn't like pets going to the bathroom on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinktomboy View Post
I'm building a new home and close in about 2 weeks. The builder puts Bermuda in the front and charges about $1100 to sod the back but only with Bermuda grass otherwise leave it with topsoil.

The remarks I have read about Bermuda are 50/50.

My last house, which I sold in June, had beautiful plush green St Augustine - yes, even during the water restrictions because I invested a lot of time hand watering. When the new folks moved in the front and backyard were dead within 2 weeks. SO SAD

I need 7 pallets of grass for my new backyard. St A is $125 a pallet, $85 for delivery. Then I will need someone to install and roll it. I can rent the equipment but doubt I could push it let alone load it. I was told an installer will charge at least $100/pallet.

So in the end, the St Augustine will cost a lot more than the Bermuda.
I have been doing tons of research and even read if my neighbors have St A it can take over my yard if I don't put some sort of rock landscaping against the fence.

I really don't know what to do.

Also, my backyard will be getting full sun as all the trees were supposedly dead and chopped down. I am going to plant 2 tress back there but it will be awhile before they mature.

I would love some feedback.

thanks

Last edited by elnina; 05-10-2015 at 12:19 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 5,819 times
Average pricenot sod installed is $350. And I haven't seen it vary that much on price to install based on type of grass.... just the price of grass pallet can vary quite a bit. This price usually includes, prep, kill old turf and weeds.. til, remove rocks, level, lay sod, fertilize, water in and check up. Remember pallet is 160 squares. How much would u charge to do everything?

Last edited by elnina; 05-10-2015 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 04:16 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Have bermuda now, going back to St Augustine. Time has shown that their overall watering requirements are about the same, yet the SA is a LOT better grass IMO - an' I'm sayin' that with a half-acre yard to resod!
I have Bermuda in front, SA in back, and agree with the above.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:39 AM

363 posts, read 748,110 times
I checkered Floratam StA (most drought tolerant StA imho) 2 years ago and let it take over. It's taken some time but it was half the price being half the sq footage and I was in no rush. Now my yard is plush and looks great. Bought from Millbergers and installed myself.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:35 PM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
Before you sod, get extra inch or two of topsoil added to your yard. You will be glad you did and it will save you money in the long run. Whatever grass you choose, adding topsoil will make it more drought tolerant. Ask the folks at Milberger, Garden Center, or any independent nursery and they will confirm that. Builders always skimp on topsoil and you can never have enough if you live on the north side.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:44 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Well, maybe for SOME of y'all.....last time I planted trees, I did 12 of 'em in one afternoon with a post hole digger....all of 'em 18-24" deep....yep - no rock!

Old 05-09-2015, 04:31 AM

422 posts, read 756,725 times
I had bermuda grass when we first bought our house and immediately replaced it with
St. Augustine front and back.

While you can plant Augustine just about anytime except for extreme cold weather because not many people are selling it at that time and it's not wise to plant it during that time.

The time to plant St. Augustine has passed..if you plant it now it will have a hard time due to the hot weather that is about to hit our area very soon. Plant some trees so that in some years you can have some shade to help out the grass during those very hot months. We planted 5 trees 8 years ago and they a providing lots of shade for the grass which helps. St. Augustine also has better curb appeal. GL

Old 05-17-2015, 01:30 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
There's nothing nicer than a healthy green yard.
If your a SAWS Customer you may want to visit their Conservation Page.
They have some great incentives (rebates). Grass is still allowed but at a given percentage.
Just a thought and think of the money you'll save.
Does anyone know if CPS still offers the Tree Rebate in order to shade your home that gets direct sun?

Old 05-17-2015, 03:59 PM

437 posts, read 638,546 times
starting to get tired of bermuda grass. it is very prone to growing weeds and it just looks so thin... would like to replace with st augustine. i already have st augustine in the back yard and it looks very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio