Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times

Advertisements

Lowest wages of any major city. Lowest groceries of any major city. Why is this news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM

50 posts, read 102,327 times
So how does HEB compare to Sam's Club and Costco?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
HEB does indeed have a stranglehold on this city, but IMO it's never been a circumstance of higher prices: HEB smartly knows who their target market is and doesn't want to alienate anyone. It's the secret to their sauce- Offer a concept for every walk of life. I applaud their business savvy.

What they've done over the years is run out CHOICE from San Antonio, which to me is the worst thing not to have in life. I want options... And thanks to new construction including Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, I'm finally getting it. It's great hearing that we have low grocery prices, but I'd still like to see a better variety of grocery stores and concepts. Slowly, but surely, it seems to be happening.

However, I do not like HEB's trend of replacing national brands with store brands. In those cases where I can't find what I want, I just go to Walmart.

BN
That's what happens when you have low prices. What is HEB supposed to do? Raise prices so that they can attract more competition? HEB ran off stores like Kroger, Albertson's, and Handy Andy. TJ's and Whole Foods are not direct competitors unless you count Central Market, which only has one location in San Antonio.

However, I do not like HEB's trend of replacing national brands. In those cases where I can't find what I want, I just go to Walmart.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
What low prices mean??? Just more junk and low quality food...

Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Bingo. Low prices = Double edged sword.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No it doesn't!

Quote:
The study looked at 26 'staple' items from several different categories.

Read more: Shop 'Til You Drop: SA's Grocery Prices Lowest in the COUNTRY! - NewsRadio 1200 WOAI, San Antonio

They used the SAME product and compared prices in all markets. It would be outlandish not to use the SAME product.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Where in California are groceries cheaper than SA? Are you serious? I travel to LA and the bay area bi yearly and the grocery prices in each market are outlandishly high and they only go up. Milk is over five dollars. I pay half that in SA.

I was just in California this summer as well as Las Vegas and Phoenix. Prices were less than California but more than SA.
All over California, the price of produce is significantly cheaper. The next time you travel, compare the prices for onions, potatoes, apples, peaches, and most other produce items. 89 cents per pound for onions in San Antonio are under 40 cents in California. Try finding an apple for under $1 per pound in San Antonio. There is a lot more competition there as well as many more local produce providers.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Where in California are groceries cheaper than SA? Are you serious? I travel to LA and the bay area bi yearly and the grocery prices in each market are outlandishly high and they only go up. Milk is over five dollars. I pay half that in SA.
Inland EMpire, but you have to be a "member." Albertson's and Vons have good prices, some items cheaper, some not, if you have their card (free, but not something most travellers will have). I have family members there so I use theirs - just need their phone #, not the actual card. So, on face value may appear more expensive, but can actually be significantly cheaper.

Lots of produce is less, but I've had a hard time finding affordable packaged stuff that's vegan or "specialty" like oat flour, spelt flour, etc.

Last edited by Chaka; 11-09-2012 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
All over California, the price of produce is significantly cheaper. The next time you travel, compare the prices for onions, potatoes, apples, peaches, and most other produce items. 89 cents per pound for onions in San Antonio are under 40 cents in California. Try finding an apple for under $1 per pound in San Antonio. There is a lot more competition there as well as many more local produce providers.
You must not do the shopping in your house. HEB vs. Ralph's in LA are very similar in price for produce. But milk and meat are WAY more expensive at Ralph's. Milk is almost $2 more at Ralphs than HEB. Ground beef is almost twice as expensive at Ralphs. Oh, just looked at my HEB receipt and you can buy apples for .98 per lb, onions we're .47 per lb, oranges were .49 per lb. So while Ralph's may be the same or cheaper on produce, they make up for it else where

Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 PM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
You must not do the shopping in your house. HEB vs. Ralph's in LA are very similar in price for produce. But milk and meat are WAY more expensive at Ralph's. Milk is almost $2 more at Ralphs than HEB. Ground beef is almost twice as expensive at Ralphs. Oh, just looked at my HEB receipt and you can buy apples for .98 per lb, onions we're .47 per lb, oranges were .49 per lb. So while Ralph's may be the same or cheaper on produce, they make up for it else where
Who goes to Ralph's for meat when there are dozens of Asian and Mexican meat markets? They'll even grind up whatever cut of beef you choose for cheaper than HEB sells mystery ground beef. I would love to see a receipt for onions for 47 cents per pound at HEB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio