Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have traveled most of Western Europe (including Iceland), some Eastern Europe, Central America, Singapore, Hong Kong, Mexico,Caribbean, Canada and very little South America..just Venezuela.

I have good friends in Naarden, NL..just outside of Amsterdam.
Seen some of Ikea stuff in Finland....still looks cheap to me. Modern and different, but cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 AM

454 posts, read 505,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmd View Post
firstclass- have you done much traveling out of the states? In Sweden/Norway, I have seen many homes- the majority, that I have been in, furnished with IKEA. The homes are better than average, look MUCH nicer than what we tend to find here in the states. It holds up well, if it is installed correctly, and is taken care of. Any furniture will look like crap if it isn't cared for. Don't put it down until you have lived in homes that have it.
Even Europeans know IKEA=cheap. That's what IKEA is made on. They make nice looking, modernish, trendy stuff, but yes, it's cheap quality. Now, I think it's much better quality than Walmart, but it's made to be cheap. And yes, I like IKEA stuff and have some of it, but I know it's not high quality. IKEA doesn't pretend to be high quality, just stylish.

Are you sure those homes in Sweden are furnished with IKEA? There are a few other companies that have similar style furniture, but of much higher quality. I commented in Switzerland once that many of our friends/family had IKEA furniture and was corrected that it wasn't IKEA, but a much higher quality- I can't for the life of me remember the names of the companies though.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 35,201 times
Firstclass,

One mans's cheap is another man's luxury......There's nothing wrong with Ikea products, they are lower priced but they ARE NOT cheaply made........ I've been going there for years, and most of the stuff I've bought has outlasted more "expensive" items from so-called higher end furniture stores, (although, some of it was a pain to assemble in some cases).....................Point is, if you "take care" of your stuff it will last, if you don't, it won't...But don't blame that on Ikea, just because they make products that you probably won't find anywhere else at an affordable price point.............The only other place that comes close it the OUTRAGEOUSLY over-priced Copenhagen furniture on 281, which I'll admit has great modern looking stuff, but its WAY overpriced......

Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
Any updates? Does anyone know where IKEA will be located within The Rim?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 AM

126 posts, read 363,034 times
I went to the IKEA home page just after Thanksgiving, I did not see any mention of them expanding to San Antonio.

I agree, The funiture is, and looks cheap. But I got my son's plastic dishes, cups, utensils there for really super inexpensive. Those are the type of things I like IKEA for.
I can see though where college kids may like the furniture.
My parents are from Sweden, and I have been there many times to visit extended family. I have an affinity for some of the food products I can get at Ikea too.
I have not seen Ikea furniture in my cousins home. But the style is somewhat similar in the kids rooms.

I wish IKEA would come to town. Maybe the webpage was not updated. Anyone have it on GOOD authourity that IKEA is coming to the RIM?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 AM

164 posts, read 555,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Why is everyone so hyped on having this store here? IMO-This is some of the most shoddily built furniture around. The stuff is basically made for lower income folks, college dorms and people that are just starting out and don't have enough money for higher quality furniture. We have enough of these types of stores here already.
Why would we want this here??
Wouldn't you all much rather have a higher quality store? Amazing!
Moderator cut: personal attack

The reason I like stores like IKEA is because they make good design affordable for everyone. This ideal has been taking hold all over Europe for some time now. Its an ideal that I think really works - make good design affordable for everyone and the world looks a little better. People dress better, and decorate better and (hopefully) build better. I'd much rather be surrounded by nice, neat looking things in my daily life than deal with looking at strip malls and people wearing clothing from the salvation army...looks like your metality has won out around here, and I'd love to see that change. Does that make sense?

Good design should not just be for the rich, but if you make it that way, you're just another rich person living in an ugly area. Which, in a way, makes you poor culturally.

The rich in Texas (read: those of your ilk - there are plenty of good people with money out there) need to get hip to stewardship of their community.

More public land, more affordable contemporary shops, more philanthropy and less "me first" greed would go a long way around here.

Moderator cut: no flaming

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-23-2008 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: personal attacks or flaming not allowed per ToS. Get this back on topic... Ikea loc at the Rim!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:46 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
I, for one, would enjoy an Ikea nearby after living with two stores in the same area, both 1.5 hrs away (but only 20-30 miles from the house--gotta love DC traffic). Their furniture is pretty good, especially when you consider that it's inexpensive and perfect for folks with small children (where else can you buy a toy chest or dresser for less than $100 and expect it to last more than 6 months?).

--Dim

Old 02-19-2008, 12:08 PM

199 posts, read 707,864 times
I have bought Ikea stuff for many years, there are several locations where I lived in So. Cal. Some pieces have lasted, others not. At Ikea you can buy fun things like mini stuffed animals for 49 cents, colorful plastic utensils, great inexpensive storage bins and pieces, and great kid furniture in fun colors, besides regular furniture. I have bought bookcases there that are still in use, and not falling apart, and look great, which are 10+ years old. You can buy a few great things there for your home, and it doesn't have to overwhelm or dictate your home's style. As with most things, you have to look at the details for quality. Most things are well made, some are not. But as a consumer and interior designer (gasp) I can say that I am glad that Ikea exists, and do hope that they open one in SA. It will be hugely popular w/ all walks of life here.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 PM

554 posts, read 2,307,416 times
I just want to buy their lingonberry preserves without having to drive to Austin!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,954 times
Quote:
Why is everyone so hyped on having this store here? IMO-This is some of the most shoddily built furniture around. The stuff is basically made for lower income folks, college dorms and people that are just starting out and don't have enough money for higher quality furniture.
The largest furniture manufacturer would disagree with you. Lower income folks? Most Ikeas reside in affluent municipalities. Last Ikea I lived next too had homes in the vicinity that were 700k+. So judging by this and the crowds, higher income folks seem to like it too... Also, they offer a lot more than household furniture. Great contemporary office stuff, home and garden, art, cook and plate ware, utensils, the list goes on and on... Ikea would be a smashing hit in San Antonio!

Quote:
We have enough of these types of stores here already.
No, we don't. Ikea is not a pawn shop nor Bel Furniture... It's lower priced with better variety than Pier 1 and not as pompous and pretentious as Motif while still capturing modern/Euro flare...

Besides, why would San Antonio want a bunch of stores that cost more? To look at? Ikea is commensurate with the media income here -sub 40k. It's 'affordable design' to the masses...

Quote:
Wouldn't you all much rather have a higher quality store? Amazing!
No, but then high priced furniture (read status quo) doesn't carry as much meaning to my life as it ostensibly does to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
...Good design should not just be for the rich, but if you make it that way, you're just another rich person living in an ugly area. Which, in a way, makes you poor culturally.

The rich in Texas (read: those of your ilk - there are plenty of good people with money out there) need to get hip to stewardship of their community.

More public land, more affordable contemporary shops, more philanthropy and less "me first" greed would go a long way around here.

Moderator cut: no flaming
Well stated... nice.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-23-2008 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: personal attacks or flaming not allowed per ToS! The subject here is the Ikea Rim loc - not consumerism or personal tastes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio