U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM

9,174 posts, read 11,372,376 times

Advertisements

I just finished the Rock and Roll Half Marathon and it was great! Next up is the Herothon in January, so my running has to continue.

While training for RNR I ran a lot on the Leon Creek Greenway. Aside from the sometimes fast riding cyclists it isn't bad. Since it is close to home (like less than 2 miles) I will continue to run there. I also did some training at Brackenridge Park and the Riverwalk. Oh and the Medical Center track too.

Aside from those three areas can you all reccomend some other places that are relatively flat (I say flat because I tried Eisenhower once and wanted to drop dead from the hills) and safe to run, no specific part of the city, just a nice little place that is different from the few I have frequented?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 04:30 AM

8,399 posts, read 21,647,236 times
Front Country at Govt Canyon...

Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,776,234 times
Doesn't Braundera or whatever its called have trails to run?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM

302 posts, read 761,672 times
First off, congrats on your half mary finish! You'll be in fine form to hammer out the Hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Front Country at Govt Canyon...
Yes, this.
Front country is single track flat dirt trails. Lytle Loop is is about 4.8 miles, Savannah Loop about 2.3.
Parking lot C is at the trailhead and you can use your vehicle as an aid station. Beware of fast moving mountian bikers though.

Also, Brandeis High School track is near you. It's rubber and easier on the body. This would be great if you're doing intervals or speedwork in your training plan.

A lap around the Dub Farris complex is 1.1 miles. You'll often see runners there. Beware of drivers exiting during events though... no one looks to the right anymore when pulling out onto the road. (As a pedestrian, when a vehicle path crosses the sidewalk you DO have right of way, but just expect that to be ignored)

McAllister Park has a lot of singletrack flat dirt trails and joins up with Salado creek greenbelt.

Sonoma Parkway (Helotes - Hausman /Kyle Seale area) Has bike lanes and sidewalks. Some small rolling hills and makes for a nice and relatively safe run on the road.

Crownridge Canyon Park is relatively flat and has trails, but short. You'll make lots of loops there.

Camp Bullis Rd (In Crownridge) or La Cantera Parkway have sidewalks and things to look at, but both have rolling hills. *Hills are your friend... they make ya run stronger

Or, something I like to do is just head out with a running pack, some money, and see where the morning takes you. Make it up as you go. Leave really early.. it's so peaceful and quiet when the city is asleep.

Back country GCSNA or HCSNA in Bandera are the go to places if you're ever looking for a tough hilly trail run.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM

4,304 posts, read 8,996,271 times
Great job! I did it too, for the first time, and it was so much fun.

Since I like to avoid getting in my car to run, I usually stick to the the Riverwalk, from Brack Park all the way down to Mission County Park (recently opened).

Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the good places, guys. I have done La Canterera and Camp Bullis before. They were nice for a few times. They wrent bad. I will have to try Government Canyon. Keep em coming! And way to go, Chaka!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,840 times
Aside from Brandeis, are there any other tracks open to the public? I went to a niece's swim meet at Blossom Athletic Center, and everything was closed - no bleachers to run in between events!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM

584 posts, read 1,115,616 times
I run in my community area (no car involved). If you wanted to run in my community area you can park in the shopping center where Firewater Grill is located (Canyon Golf/Overlook Parkway). You can run Canyon Golf to Borgfield Road which is almost four miles (out and back) and pretty flat and then there is Canyon Golf towards Wilderness oak which is about three miles (round trip) and rolling small hills. The other route is Canyon golf (on Overlook Parkway) to 281 which is about 3 miles (round trip) and there is a pretty good hill going up to 281. I normally start combining these routes to add up to my distance that I need to get that week. It is a nice area with side walks. Early in the morning if it isn't light out yet you will need a head lamp/light on Canyon Golf. Overlook parkway has street lights. Also watch for the deer or other wildlife that could be around.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephg7373 View Post
Aside from Brandeis, are there any other tracks open to the public? I went to a niece's swim meet at Blossom Athletic Center, and everything was closed - no bleachers to run in between events!
There is the Medical Center track, which I mentioned in my original post. It's not a true track in the sports world, but it's a nice circle that adds up to 1.5 miles around. My goal is to one day be able to conquer the hill on the backside without stopping.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 PM

14,637 posts, read 33,131,684 times
Did they extend the Med Ctr track? It used to only be a half mile. I'm talking about the UThSC one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio