Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 PM

163 posts, read 198,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinker73 View Post
I'm New to San Antonio And I'm Looking For A School To Continue My Medical Assistant degree...don't want to take a loan out to make this happen. .Any suggests on a college to check out?
Alamo Colleges are going to be your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinker73 View Post
I'm New to San Antonio And I'm Looking For A School To Continue My Medical Assistant degree...don't want to take a loan out to make this happen. .Any suggests on a college to check out?
As said above, the Alamo Community Colleges will probably be the cheapest option here. Avoid the for-profit colleges. They'll charge you $10k-20k for a certificate and $20k-30k for an associate's degree. I wouldn't spend so much money on such a low-paying field.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
Well, it's a real short update.

I pretty much decided not to do it, mainly because of the money.

1. I won't go in debt, although they about fell all over themselves offering me loans.

2. There are no grants, etc. available to me.

3. My GI Bill is kaput.

4. I don't think now is a good time to raid my retirement account of about $90K (tuition, living exp, etc).

There's more to consider but I think you get the picture.

Although it certainly is a conundrum of the highest magnitude...

Hope things work out for you.
In reference to an old Post about running out of your GIBILL

If you enrolled into the Military in the State of texas. Meaning on your DD213 Your Address was a Texas adress then you're eligible for the hazelwood act. Not a stipend but tuition and fees are free in any Texas Sate Institute of Higher Education ect for up to 150 hours of credits.

TEXAS VETERANS COMMISSION - Hazlewood Act

Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,378 times
Is Galen college a good school to go to?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Adams View Post
Is Galen college a good school to go to?
I would pass on any for-profit school for medical training (actually most programs, but especially nursing). Did you read the thread at all?

Old 10-08-2015, 03:30 PM

5 posts, read 4,782 times
This is kind of a dead thread, but it came up for me since I was searching for nursing grad schools in the area and I thought I'd comment.

I agree with what the other users said about avoiding for-profit schools, and some of the other schools they mentioned, like Alamo Colleges, are pretty good schools.

It's a little farther than UTSA, but one option to look into is Schreiner. It has a pretty good nursing program out in Kerrville. If you're already an RN, you can use their online RN-to-BSN program. Here's a link to their program in case anyone's still looking:

[url=http://www.schreiner.edu/online/rn-to-bsn.aspx[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio