Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,781,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7run View Post
Looking to re-locate to SA from Oregon. We live in a 2400 sq ft home, pool, RV parking very nice neighborhood and our property taxes run about 3500 a year. Our house was last appraised at 460, we purchased it at 285. If we were to live in the NC area, on a 1/2 an acre and 3000 sq ft new home, what would the taxes run each year? What type of payments would be looking at?

It seem that the housing is cheaper in Texas, but the taxes are a lot higher. We definitely would need to know if it would be to our best interest to move.
At least double for taxes...most likely more..depending on where you purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:10 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,624,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7run View Post
Looking to re-locate to SA from Oregon. We live in a 2400 sq ft home, pool, RV parking very nice neighborhood and our property taxes run about 3500 a year. Our house was last appraised at 460, we purchased it at 285. If we were to live in the NC area, on a 1/2 an acre and 3000 sq ft new home, what would the taxes run each year? What type of payments would be looking at?

It seem that the housing is cheaper in Texas, but the taxes are a lot higher. We definitely would need to know if it would be to our best interest to move.
If you're asking how much the property taxes/payments are for NC area, then you're in the wrong forum. Yes, houses are cheaper here and our property taxes are higher. However, there is no state income tax here like in Oregon. Now, before someone gets their pants in a bunch and say their state has no income tax and their property taxes are cheaper than Texas, don't forget we do not set our property tax rates. Our state maintains a balanced budget that is hard to do in many other states. You have to keep in mind, what is making you want to move and looking at Texas? Cost of living, overcrowding, weather, etc.? With that in mind, then you can look at the pros and cons to decide if you should move or stay put.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM

I think he's asking about NC..meaning North Central area of SA.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,723,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I think he's asking about NC..meaning North Central area of SA.
Correct. I believe he is referring to the North Central 281 area...

Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired-&-going-back-2-CA View Post
As of 2007, it is no longer a non disclosure state. So your new KB home will be taxed at your purchase price.
Very interesting. When exactly did this change?

If this is true...then I am glad I didn't load up with lots of interior options. We had the master plan to do many upgrades after we moved in...like upgraded counter tops, appliances and crown moulding after the fact. I was hoping that my purchase price (the cheapest in that neighborhood to date) could be used to argue my tax basis lower than the average price/square foot of the neighborhood.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 AM

160 posts, read 627,538 times
Actually I am asking about the North Central area, reason for moving would be job transfer which my husband has some control over. If he didn't have to transfer to move up we would stay in Oregon. We are adventurous, and like to see what is out there. Getting as much information just makes our decision much easier. You are right, Oregon does have state income tax, but not sales tax. All in all it seems it probably evens out. You can buy more of a house out there, but when all is said and done it's pretty equal.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM

164 posts, read 553,617 times
this is actually the only thing that's keeping us from buying a home in San Antonio right now...I can't justify the $4,000 a year in taxes associated with purchasing a home in our price range. It's rediculous.

I'll continue to rent and save in hopes of moving to another city.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
this is actually the only thing that's keeping us from buying a home in San Antonio right now...I can't justify the $4,000 a year in taxes associated with purchasing a home in our price range. It's rediculous.

I'll continue to rent and save in hopes of moving to another city.
I hate to break it to you...but if you are renting you are paying taxes because the landlord factors in the cost of the taxes into your rent payment. The advantage to owning is that at least the interest and taxes associated with your home are tax deductable.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
In other states, you'd likely be paying that much in state income taxes, assuming you have that much income.

I moved to Texas from a midwestern state that has both high property taxes and state income taxes. I'm paying about the same amount in taxes as I was in the other state, but I prefer the transparency of property taxes to the stealthier payroll deductions and additionaly annual paperwork of income taxes. There are also avenues to protest and lower your property taxes if you think your home's value is being assessed unfairly. Income tax deductions tend to be less straightforward.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I hate to break it to you...but if you are renting you are paying taxes because the landlord factors in the cost of the taxes into your rent payment. The advantage to owning is that at least the interest and taxes associated with your home are tax deductable.

True, but if the OP makes a large enough down payment (like they should) and purchases a cheap enough home, that tax advantage might be nullified, depending on number of dependents. The standard deduction could be more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio