Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:44 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times

Advertisements

Pics don't work. The URLs have a bunch of ******* (asterisks, not censored stuff) in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 12:02 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
well that's true but making 120K a year and my house paid off, I wouldnt see that happening.

Edit: and Im younger than you!
If? probably, gross, after truck payments of, mmm 5k a month, and insurance 1k a month, gas another 4k a month, you net 0 good job. always looks good on the net, like the song says.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
If? probably, gross, after truck payments of, mmm 5k a month, and insurance 1k a month, gas another 4k a month, you net 0 good job. always looks good on the net, like the song says.
Actually I made most of my money through an inheritance from Nigeria! I just got an email one day that said one of my relatives died and left me a great deal of cash all I had to do is send 90 bucks for shipping.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM

410 posts, read 1,249,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Actually I made most of my money through an inheritance from Nigeria! I just got an email one day that said one of my relatives died and left me a great deal of cash all I had to do is send 90 bucks for shipping.
We're related! I got the same one!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
sweeet! how much did you get? I got a gajillion dollars! I didnt even know that kind of money existed.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie b View Post
When we got our appraisal, I certainly felt that we were being taxed out. House went up 21%, land up 50%. Seemed very "bubbly" to me considering the chatter that "it's different here."
Anyway, we went to the BCAD formal hearing yesterday and got a very very good result (lower appraisal than last year!) - thanks to some info given to us during the informal hearing. But we see protesting property taxes as a way of life now - nervewracking and time consuming.
One thing we found amusing - on the walls at the BCAD building in those places where you wait your turn, there have blown up posters of the San Antonio Express newspaper article with the headline that San Antonio Is Recession Proof. Any thoughts on that?
Yes, I read it too, and mentioned it. However, I was told this is why taxes remain as they are since, we have the lowest housing cost!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 AM

322 posts, read 774,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
this is actually the only thing that's keeping us from buying a home in San Antonio right now...I can't justify the $4,000 a year in taxes associated with purchasing a home in our price range. It's rediculous.

I'll continue to rent and save in hopes of moving to another city.
Sorry for replying to a post that's wicked old.. but I'm looking through the BCAD threads :-)

I really don't understand this statement at all! If you can't afford to pay the taxes then you can't afford a house in the price range you're looking -- taxes and insurance MUST be calculated into what you can afford!

If you continue to rent you'll never build any equity! You're continuing to give your money away to someone else who is getting rich off your monthly payments.

Start with a smaller house, nobody needs a McMansion, and then upgrade in 5, 10, or 15 years :-)

Home ownership is great! :-)

Old 05-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
All I can say is they have a license to steal. Are you getting a better bang for your tax dollar buck. Multi million dollars schools & toll roads
Schools with beautiful cafeterias (read: mall food courts) and freakin' water features should be banned! What happened to the days of two lunch choices: hot or cold? We called them A/B lunches.

Vending machines, soda machines, all that cr@p should be removed from schools and they should go back to the meals everyone else grew up on!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the best schools in the country generally have the oldest looking facilities? They'd rather hire teachers (professors, educators, whatever) with advanced degrees than worry about what the buildings look like on the outside. Public education has apparently gone the opposite direction.. all style with no substance.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
this is actually the only thing that's keeping us from buying a home in San Antonio right now...I can't justify the $4,000 a year in taxes associated with purchasing a home in our price range. It's rediculous.

I'll continue to rent and save in hopes of moving to another city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
Sorry for replying to a post that's wicked old.. but I'm looking through the BCAD threads :-)

I really don't understand this statement at all! If you can't afford to pay the taxes then you can't afford a house in the price range you're looking -- taxes and insurance MUST be calculated into what you can afford!

If you continue to rent you'll never build any equity! You're continuing to give your money away to someone else who is getting rich off your monthly payments.

Start with a smaller house, nobody needs a McMansion, and then upgrade in 5, 10, or 15 years :-)

Home ownership is great! :-)
Actually, renters indirectly pay property taxes, too. I don't think too many landlords are just absorbing those costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio